Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2010, 05:51 AM   #15

Lots of Discoverys have all wood floors or at least partial. Yes Newton, Mass. Moinlaw and MH storing at broinlaws for 1 week, hope driveway big enough. Really alot of bang for you buck in a Discovery.
KC

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2010, 06:01 AM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
ok, I need to learn about and study and research on why the chassie is so important?
I have a Winnebago with a 454 Chevy, strongly believe its on a Chevy chassie, but why is everone so concern about the chassie, allison transmisson are the best for diesel regardless what chassie its on. but why the big hassle from Ford,Workhorse, Frieghtliner ( darn good truck too) and I think Roadmaster too. I do believe its the way its bilt however is it like Ford vs Chevy???????????????

Old 05-10-2010, 06:02 AM   #17

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We're in Medway, MA - about 20 min. sw of Newton.
Lots of room in our driveway!
Purplefans & Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:21 AM   #18

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
swamphog - Because I'm not mechanical is why I worry about the engine, I need to make sure there's a truck repair facility near me! We have a Ford Truck Facility about 15 miles away, but there isn't a Chevy nearby!

My expertise is making a phone call when it comes to repairs!
Old 05-11-2010, 06:52 AM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I was just asking about whats so important about the chassies, I see there are clubs just for the chassies alone, a little confuse why the big whopla, but I do agree with you on not having a fancy coach rather "have a strong bilt sturdy rig". I must not be asking the ? right regarding info on chassies. But the only thing I know about chassies right now is there are two of them, one is made for the Gas Powered Engine and i think they also served for the front Diesel engine then the chassie for the diesel Pusher (aka rear diesel)
Old 05-11-2010, 08:12 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Roamer [Gary] View Post
20,000 miles in 5 years isn't a lot of travel. Economically, you will be much better off with a gas engine coach.

A 30+ foot Class C costs as much as a 30+ foot Class A with similar equipment. For example, the 35 foot Jayco Seneca Class C is $170k,and the Tiffin Allegro RED 34' Class A is about the same.
And the Allegro RED 38QBA comes with bunk beds.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:35 AM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplefans & Harvey View Post
Thanks for the reply! So our local RV dealership (we don't have many in Mass) has a Fleetwood Bounder with a M-35E workhorse.

OK, stupid question, but who's the manufacturer of the M-35E?.................
My guess is that 35E is the "name" of the coach floor plan, because it is not a Workhorse chassis model.

Most likely, the chassis will be a W-22 or it could be a P-32, depending on model year (unless there is a blue oval in the steering wheel). Regarding service, you can always call 877-946-7731 to determine the nearest Authorized Service Center for any chassis repairs that may be needed. There are over 400 nation-wide. Ed
Old 05-11-2010, 10:59 PM   #22

Send a message via Skype™ to Bob Nuttmann
Purplefans,

We rented a number of RVs both class C and class A and then bought a small class A and last year a much larger class A. I read your posts and it seems like you have decided to go class A. But I want to through in a couple comments. One of the best family RVs we ever used was a 31' class C with one slide out. We had six adults and one small child plus a med dog in it for a two week 2000 mile trip. I really worked well. IMHO you would have to go up to a 37' class A with bunk beds to get the same utility. The thing that is nice in a class C is the bunk over the cab.

As far as driving. By far the smoothest riding coach I have ever driven is the one we own now. The easiest to drive was a 25' class C we rented from Cruise America about a dozen years ago. But you should answer your own doubts about driving by taking a number of coaches out for extended test drive. I would also suggest you consider renting something similar to what you want to buy.

The only real issue with driving a class A is the height you sit when you drive. It makes the spacial view very different from a car. But once you get used to it that higher height becomes easy. Class A's do have a great view from the front.

Most class A's gas coaches and class C coaches are built on delivery van truck chassis. They all ride kinda rough down the road. What you get with a DPusher is the motor in the back for almost silent driving. Plus you can get air ride. Both make driving a DP a nicer experience than the standard gas coaches. But gas motor homes camp just as well as DP's. And they are cheaper. Do keep in mind that some bargain DP's come up for sale. Sometimes you can snag one from someone who just wants to get rid of thiers. We did. We got a whale of a deal on ours last fall.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:08 AM   #23

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Deposit on a new (used RV)!

Well, we did it! We put a deposit on a 2004 Fleetwood Southwind 32V!

The dealership made an offer for tradein that we couldn't refuse. No cash down, threw in 5 year platinum warranty service.

Hope it's the right decision.

Of course, later that night, I got a call about a 31' Class C coachman with center slide that I'd been eying for 2 years. It's for sale now. Figures!
Old 05-16-2010, 08:44 AM   #24

Congrats, you made a good decision. Fleetwood is a proven brand, still around, not many chassis issues. I looked at a Southwind during new RV search and really liked it. Not a lot longer than old rig but alot more to it. Will PM you with more info. Good job. Enjoy!
KC
Old 05-17-2010, 05:09 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Congratulations! I'm sure you'll going to love it, I know we like ours!
I hope it serves you well

Regards,
RovinOn
05 Southwind 37C

RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote