Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2011, 09:18 AM   #1

Replacing the LR 12VDC ceiling light, light bulbs blow out.

1995 Damon UltraSport Class A, 34', gasser.

I replaced the 4 bulb older style ceiling light fixtures(2ea) with 2 fixtures that had 2 bulbs per fixture. There is a black and white wire from the RV, hot and neutral, and a black and white wire on the fixture.
I wire nutted them together, white-white, black-black and got two really, really bright 1076 bulbs that lasted about two weeks with intermittent use, then they blew. I test the voltage, and it was 11.78VDC last time, and each time about the same. Never a surge or a spike, just steady really bright till they blow out.

Both ceiling fixtures are exactly the same, and have exactly the same issue.

I have put 20 bulbs into the fixtures, and during that time I have taken the fixtures down and tested the wiring, voltage orientation in the fixture... and exactly the same results. The outside of the bulb holder is negative, the inside has two contact points for the bulb's two contact points. One is positive, the other has nothing.

The fixture is a 10" bright brass fixture with diffuser, here... 12V RV CAMPER BRASS CEILING LIGHT W/ GLASS & SWITCH - eBay (item 170355331890 end time Feb-28-11 07:24:07 PST)

Before the new fixtures were installed, no problems, except the lead and glass were coming apart. Electric and the old bulbs, not 1076, were fine, had to dust 'em every so once in awhile...

I should add there is no other 12v or 120v electrical issue in the RV.
???
Sam
SaSuVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2011, 07:41 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
sounds like you installed bulbs that run a LOT hotter than the older ones. The hotter the bulb, the shorter the lifetime. Also, the hotter the bulb, the more risk of fire. If I am correct on that fixture, it has a sheet of insulation at the top. This actually traps the bulb heat and causes earlier failure. Change back to lower wattage bulbs and tell us the result.
nbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:04 PM   #3

Thank you for the quick reply, nbounder,

I am not sure I follow, the 1076 12V DC bulb is the only bulb that is recommended by the fixture manufacture.

What do you recommend? Please let me know, as well as a link to the recommendation, thank you,
Sam
Old 02-09-2011, 09:32 PM   #4

Would recheck the bulb numbers or if you have a like fixture check the bulb numbers from that. that number doesn't sound correct IMO
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:14 AM   #5

Yep, took me back as well, thought I would be able to use the 1157's I had in the old fixture, nope.

The new fixture socket and label are designed for a 107612V bulb, with two contacts, and flat bayonet pins. The 1157 have offset bayonet pins.

I have two exact fixtures, and they both have identical labels, and they both have identical problems.

At least I know it is not a simple camper blunder, this far.., please keep the ideas coming.

Thanks,
Sam
Old 02-10-2011, 07:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaSuVa View Post
Yep, took me back as well, thought I would be able to use the 1157's I had in the old fixture, nope.

The new fixture socket and label are designed for a 107612V bulb, with two contacts, and flat bayonet pins. The 1157 have offset bayonet pins.

I have two exact fixtures, and they both have identical labels, and they both have identical problems.

At least I know it is not a simple camper blunder, this far.., please keep the ideas coming.

Thanks,
Sam
why don't you install flourescent lite fixtures----they should put out more lite & last longer. I installed them on a 1990 rv I had & they worked great.
if my memory is still working, #1157 is a brake lite/tail lite combo & bulb does get pretty hot with continueous use. suggestion: can you remove lite bulb cover (plastic lens) to let heat escape? if they last longer, they must be getting too hot.
two slides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:01 PM   #7

The lights are in the slide, so they are bright brass and fancy, and new, or not so new that they can be returned, but, well they are not so old that replacing them makes financial sense.
I have other lights, but these need to be nice... so I need to fix 'em.
The 1157 would probably be ok in the fixture, it is the 1076 I cannot keep in the fixture.

Replacing them is next though... good idea

Sam
Old 02-10-2011, 08:12 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Any good auto store (O'Reilly, AutoZone, NAPA) will be able to tell you from the big books on the counter which bulb would be the next cooler one. I do not have the big book,, but at one time I found the info on the web somewhere. I'm sure a bunch of searches in Google would turn up the data. Do I understand that the 'new' bulbs had 2 bottom contacts but the socket had only one? PS - call the mfr of the fixture and give 'em hell - tell them you feel it is a fire hazard!!! Let THEM recommend a different bulb.
nbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:34 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaSuVa View Post
1995 Damon UltraSport Class A, 34', gasser.

I replaced the 4 bulb older style ceiling light fixtures(2ea) with 2 fixtures that had 2 bulbs per fixture. There is a black and white wire from the RV, hot and neutral, and a black and white wire on the fixture.
I wire nutted them together, white-white, black-black and got two really, really bright 1076 bulbs that lasted about two weeks with intermittent use, then they blew. I test the voltage, and it was 11.78VDC last time, and each time about the same. Never a surge or a spike, just steady really bright till they blow out.

Both ceiling fixtures are exactly the same, and have exactly the same issue.

I have put 20 bulbs into the fixtures, and during that time I have taken the fixtures down and tested the wiring, voltage orientation in the fixture... and exactly the same results. The outside of the bulb holder is negative, the inside has two contact points for the bulb's two contact points. One is positive, the other has nothing.

The fixture is a 10" bright brass fixture with diffuser, here... 12V RV CAMPER BRASS CEILING LIGHT W/ GLASS & SWITCH - eBay (item 170355331890 end time Feb-28-11 07:24:07 PST)

Before the new fixtures were installed, no problems, except the lead and glass were coming apart. Electric and the old bulbs, not 1076, were fine, had to dust 'em every so once in awhile...

I should add there is no other 12v or 120v electrical issue in the RV.
???
Sam
i have a brass colored 2 bulb wall sconce with shade in the fwd slideout between the dinette and the couch. when the original lamps burnt out in apr 2008, i could not find replacement t- 1076 lamps locally.
i checked the socket with a vom and found that on the dual base lamp and socket, one contact was 12v power and the other was the ground. a strange design to say the least.
i bent one contact (the ground) up with angled needle nose pliers so that when a single contact lamp is installed in the socket, the side of the lamp base is in contact with the the socket contact i bent up. the other contact is 12v power. i bet this explanation is as clear as mud.
i am presently using 2ea 1141 lamps, but have used 1156 lamps.
now i can use several 12v single contact lamps ranging from 12 watts to 26.9 watts. 1003=12w, 1141=18w, 1156=26.9w. there are probably others but these are the ones i am familiar with.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote