Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2010, 04:15 PM   #1

Replacing the Main Awning Pull Down Strap

Just got unit (used) and on trying to extend the awning, the pull down strap/fabric broke. Found a replacement strap on net, but not a description on "how to." Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks, RR1

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2010, 04:45 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
At the end of the roller tube, drill a hole in the slot where the strap travels -- Use a bit, a little larger than the part that goes inside the slot, & drill at an angle toward the center of the awning -- The old one should slip out, & the new one in -- Not nessary to get the old one out, just cut it off even with the tube --

Old 06-10-2010, 07:00 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi RR1,
Welcome to iRV2. William Willard's post has the time tested solution. Good luck. Post often.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:14 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It is usually not even that hard. .Usually it is slide it to one end of the tube (Usually the front end but it could be the rear) and slide the new one in.

One end cap will usually have a "Hole" in line with the channel in the roller.. Usually.

If not,, Make one as the other poster suggested.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:49 PM   #5

Thanks much to all. I am sure we will be visiting and posting, hopefully not to annoyance, as we get our legs back. In time, I hope to grow to share with others as you guys so graciously do.

RR1
Old 06-11-2010, 08:32 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Perhaps you don't need it but I'd like to expand on Willard's information. And this is based on my experience with our A&E awning. Others may be different

As described, you are trying to put the end of the new strap with the rubber like piece into a slot on the main tube. In my case, A&E had a large enough slot on the end that I didn't have to drill anything. Exposing the slot was the problem, with no strap to pull the awning down.

I flipped the lever to put the awning into pull down mode. Then, using a stepladder, I attached ropes high up on both arms and had a friend help me pull out and then down on the arms to get the awning down. Trying it by myself, I found that it was too hard to work against the awning's spring by just trying to turn it with my hands by myself. I have a metal shield over the awning when it is rolled up. I had to get it unrolled far enough to expose the slot which is nearly all the way down.

I hope this helps.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:26 PM   #7

CHASFM11, your description sounds like our awnings are similar. If I read correctly yours is 36 Ft Landau. As I stated all responses were helpful. I identify w/yours because at the dealer when we opened it, we had to get help as it seemed we could only get it half way down and the unit relocked. We reset it and with 2 pulling it rolled out completely. I will give your advice a try before drilling.

Thanks,

RR1
Old 06-13-2010, 10:28 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Perhaps you might put new pull straps on the rest of your awnings while they still have straps on them. I found that when one broke, the second one wasn't far behind. I found replacements at a locall RV store, at a much better price than CW.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:05 AM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Only2, our main awning is very easy to pull down by one person if the strap is in place. My DW can easily do it. Properly positioned, the strap should be a foot or so in the slot, under the fabric. Without the strap (when ours broke), you cannot pull the same way so I had to resort to an alternative.

Yes, we have a 36' Landau and the main awning takes up most of the passenger side

If you have problems with your awning after the strap is in place, I suggest that you might have another problem. The lever which changes from roll up to roll down has a pawl inside which helps to control the spring. We've never had problems (with a good strap) in getting the awning up and down. I recommend keeping a constant tension on the strap when moving it in either direction. You should not have to fiddle with the lever once its flipped. If it is hesitating on the way down, you may have a problem in the pawl mechanism. Just my thoughts, based on your description.

P.S. I always care a spare strap. They are pretty cheap, everything considered.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:49 PM   #10

Thanks chasfm11. Good advice. Found place on other side of county (20mins) that carries replacement - $5.95. Will heed your advice, buy a couple. Will pick up this weekend and try to install using guidance rec'd.

RR1
Old 07-06-2010, 09:21 PM   #11

Awning Replacement Pull Down Strap

chasfm11, perfect. Easy. No help needed. Thanks.

RR1