Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2014, 03:15 PM   #1

Res. Fridge and inverter wiring confirmation plz

When I purchased my used AC Revolution I went through all of the manufacturers to check for Recalls. Found the Norcold recall. It was working fine, but hadn't had the recall performed. Brought it in and they added the little black box "rev e". However, as I researched the issue I realized I needed to replace the fridge (from a safety standpoint). Well, my last camping trip forced the issue. The black box kicked in, and for the safety of my family I choose not to hotwire it. (I felt coils and they were very warm, so I guess the black box worked.) I have subsequently removed the fridge and am modding the cabinet to fit a Samsung 197 series. Kudos to American Coach, this has been an easy job thus far due to their craftsmanship.

OK, long pre-amble. Here is my question. My coach has two 110V outlets for the fridge, and the Norcold was wired to both. One is Inverter and one is regular 110V. When plugged into shore power both outlets show 110v. My guess, and I want confirmation, is that I connect the Samsung to the inverter outlet. That the inverter itself provides Shore power when avail, and inverted 110V when the inverter is on. Is this correct?

I have a square wave inverter, thus the choice for Samsung.

akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2014, 04:11 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by akeyzoo View Post
Here is my question. My coach has two 110V outlets for the fridge, and the Norcold was wired to both. One is Inverter and one is regular 110V. When plugged into shore power both outlets show 110v. My guess, and I want confirmation, is that I connect the Samsung to the inverter outlet. That the inverter itself provides Shore power when avail, and inverted 110V when the inverter is on. Is this correct?

Your logic was a bit difficult to follow, but yes, you want to plug into the outlet powered by the inverter. If you don't, then you won't have refer cooling when NOT plugged to shore power.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:17 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My Norcold 1200 is plugged into two 120v outlets. One is the refrigerator and the other the ice maker.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:39 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
My Norcold 1200 is plugged into two 120v outlets. One is the refrigerator and the other the ice maker.
That would be correct.... The OP's residential refer won't require separate outlets.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:48 PM   #5
KIX

Quote:
................My guess, and I want confirmation, is that I connect the Samsung to the inverter outlet. That the inverter itself provides Shore power when avail, and inverted 110V when the inverter is on. Is this correct?

Exactly how my 197 is connected. Worked well for 3 years and continues to be an excellent mod.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:59 PM   #6

AHA, Bingo, the ice maker! I was wondering why the Norcold had to be plugged into BOTH the inverter and regular 110V outlet if the inverter outlet provided shore power. It's because the ice maker is a shore power only item.

Thanks, and sorry for making this sound more complicated then perhaps it was!
Old 01-06-2014, 07:47 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"akeyzoo".....I'm not a big fan of running my inverter 24/7 when I'm not using the coach. Since the Samsung is now left on all of the time, I unplug from the inverter outlet and plug into the 110v shore power outlet when the coach is parked at home and then turn off the inverter.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:57 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I helped a friend install a 197 in his Monaco. Had to run new wires from the inverter to the refer wiring to get it to run full time through the inverter. Nothing fancy about it either.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:28 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
"akeyzoo".....I'm not a big fan of running my inverter 24/7 when I'm not using the coach. Since the Samsung is now left on all of the time, I unplug from the inverter outlet and plug into the 110v shore power outlet when the coach is parked at home and then turn off the inverter.
You should not have to change plugs when on shore power alone. The inverter has a "pass through" when it is turned off so that shore power goes through to the outlets
Old 01-07-2014, 07:42 AM   #10

Quote:
AHA, Bingo, the ice maker! I was wondering why the Norcold had to be plugged into BOTH the inverter and regular 110V outlet if the inverter outlet provided shore power. It's because the ice maker is a shore power only item.

Thanks, and sorry for making this sound more complicated then perhaps it was!
The ice maker is on the inverter the refer is on shore power that way when you unplug it goes to gas.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow0120 View Post
The ice maker is on the inverter the refer is on shore power that way when you unplug it goes to gas.
I am not sure the above is correct. Since my Norcold is in my driveway in pieces I cannot confirm tho. I though the ice maker ONLY worked when connected to shore power, which is why it was wired that way. Of course, if the refrigerator was wired to the inverter outlet it implies that when disconnected from shore power with the inverter on, the fridge would be powered by the inverter and NOT LP. I can no longer validate that.

Chris
Old 01-07-2014, 12:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
You should not have to change plugs when on shore power alone. The inverter has a "pass through" when it is turned off so that shore power goes through to the outlets
Agreed, and this is what prompted me to start this thread, I wanted to confirm the "pass through" because my digital multimeter was measuring that one existed (I was getting 110v on inverter outlet with inverter OFF connected to shore power).

Chris
Old 01-07-2014, 12:28 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Yes....it has a pass thru connection with a set of contacts that are unnecessarily being used/consumed while the coach is sitting at home. This falls under the same reason why you shouldn't use an electric heater plugged into outlets that run thru the inverter.....unnecessary wear and tear.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:56 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
Yes....it has a pass thru connection with a set of contacts that are unnecessarily being used/consumed while the coach is sitting at home. This falls under the same reason why you shouldn't use an electric heater plugged into outlets that run thru the inverter.....unnecessary wear and tear.
Excuse me! Tell me how passing voltage through normally closed contacts puts unnecessary wear and tear on (or consumes?) those contacts.

I agree that the inverter should not be required to power some loads if/when they can be powered directly from the incoming shore/gen power, but to say they shouldn't be power through the pass thru contacts of an inverter that is turned OFF is ridiculous.

Tags
fridge, inverter, wiring