Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2012, 08:32 AM   #1

Residual Propane Smell

I've been getting a whiff of propane smell for a few days. I've put soap on every connection I can find but can't determine a leak location. I've disconnected the line from the tank and still get an occasional whiff of the propane smell. I have to think either the tank has a leak or I'm smelling residual oder. I first noticed smell after leaving cool Oregon and getting to hot Texas so thought maybe the increase in heat caused the smell to ease out a bit. Oh, I should mention no smell inside the RV - it is outside and not in the same area - guess the wind moves it in different directions.
Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks
Bob

1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2012, 08:43 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Did you just have your tank filled? It is possible that the tank was overfilled. There is a pressure relief valve on our system that will release some propane when the tank is overfilled (which happened to us one time at a Flying J). If you had it filled right before going to hot weather and you have checked all connections, this may be your problem.

Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:03 AM   #3

I left Oregon April 17 and filled the propane tank the day I left but didn't notice the oder until a few days ago. Also the tank when full seems to last a couple of months and it shows empty this morning. Winnebago replaced the tank about a year ago because a weld was leaking. The weld that previously leaked is in a position I can't get soap to unless I remove the tank. I guess that'll be todays project. Pull the tank and check the welds.
Bob
Old 05-07-2012, 11:21 AM   #4

I found the problem. I was able to get up and behind the tank and spay it with soap solution and found a leak at a weld. There are two mounting plates welded to the tank and there is a leak at one of the welds. So now, calls to Winnebago to see what they can to help me out.
Bob
Old 05-07-2012, 12:05 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wow! Two tanks in a row that leaked? You're jinxed!!!
Old 05-07-2012, 12:19 PM   #6

Well, I don't know about jinxed but they had/have a recall on the tank mountings. I'd thought when they repaired it they would have done it right but ?? They did not install the cradle carrier mentioned in the following:
Make: WINNEBAGO
Model: JOURNEY
Model Year: 2004
Manufacturer: WINNEBAGO INDUSTRIES, INC.
Mfr's Report Date: FEB 20, 2004
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 04V114000
N/A
NHTSA Action Number:N/A
Component: EQUIPMENT:RECREATIONAL VEHICLE:LPG TANK ASSEMBLY
Potential Number of Units Affected: 5143
Summary:
ON CERTAIN MOTORHOMES, THE LP TANK HAS STRESS ON WELD JOINTS AT THE POINT WHERE MOUNTING BRACKETS ARE WELDED TO THE TANK.
Consequence:
THIS COULD CAUSE STRESS CRACKS AT THE WELD JOINTS AND LEAD TO AN LP LEAK AND CAUSE PERSONAL INJURY AND/OR VEHICLE DAMAGE.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REINSTALL A CRADLE-STYLE CARRIER, AND, IF NECESSARY REPLACE THE LP TANK. THE RECALL BEGAN ON MARCH 25, 2004. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT WINNEBAGO AT 641-585-6939.
Notes:
WINNEBAGO RECALL NO. 90. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).
Old 05-07-2012, 12:56 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I am so glad you found the problem. I can't believe you have now had a problem with 2 tanks at the weld joint. That, I would think, would be down right unusual. At least you knew to be persistant and find the problem - good for you. Very smart!
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:04 PM   #8

FYI At the labor rates they charge now a days I try to do as much as possible that I can. Finding a leak was time consuming and not to hard but I did have to crawl under & around a bit. Winnebago called me back and my RV was not part of the 2004 recall listed in a message above. They asked if I could bring the RV by so they can try to figure out the problem. So we'll be heading a bit north on our way back to Oregon.
Safe Travels
Bob
Old 05-07-2012, 05:30 PM   #9

Wow that could have been real bad!
Old 09-13-2012, 10:15 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
I found the problem. I was able to get up and behind the tank and spay it with soap solution and found a leak at a weld. There are two mounting plates welded to the tank and there is a leak at one of the welds. So now, calls to Winnebago to see what they can to help me out.
Bob
Cedardog,
I have the same problem. Did Winnebago do anything? They told me my 2004 Journey was not part of the recall (Winnebago recall #90) since it was built in october 2003. The recall was for MH built 9/03 or earlier. The ID plate in the MH is stamped 9/03
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:07 AM   #11

I would not accept that as an answer!!! They may have underestimated the number of vehicles affected or the actual dates the problems started occurring.

Worst case, contact NHTSA for advise!!

Tags
propane, smell