Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2010, 10:57 AM   #15

Forest River Owners Club
We have a ROD membership in NY at Lazy Lakes. We love our home park as it is about 2 hours from home, and close to Niagara Falls and Canada. We went to a CTC orientation speech last week, and would have joined that, too if we were traveling more, but we can actually stay at that park as part of out ROD membership for 2 weeks out of the year. And CTC has more parks to stay at on the eastern coast than ROD does.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2010, 03:06 PM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Roamer [Gary] View Post
Did I do that? I don't think so...

Anyway, it's not important. Roadrunner understands his option and that's all that is relevant.
Quote:
So, consider your travel style (which you haven't really established yet) and the location of the ROD resorts and also other chains. Maybe Thousand Trails or Mid Atlantic Resorts have more places near where you want to be. Or maybe none of them fit real well and you ought to join Passport America or other inexpensive camping discount program.

Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:24 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Sure sounds like you are telling him to join TT or Mid Atlantic Resorts.
Just examples of some alternatives, as was Passport America. The point was to consider the locations of the resorts versus travel plans, not just how many resorts for how many dollars per year. Free camping at a place you will never visit is no bargain.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:27 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
I don't get it!! RV Roamer (Gary) was kindly suggesting this: Why would you buy into a "resort(s) if you wouldn't use them?
If you lived on the east coast, why would you invest in the left coast resorts? Seems pretty simple to me. I realize reading comprehension may not be everybodys thing.
Try this again "Free camping at a place you will never visit is no bargain". Says it all.
Sorry for the hurt feelings.

Kerry
Old 10-09-2010, 06:10 PM   #19

not worth the money. trying to get into a park that is good at a high use time of the year is impossible for example palm springs area is booked 91 days in advance is high use so I never even get a chance to reserve. Will not renew as I have thousand trails with 150 days advance and only use rod for my 7 days out if close by.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:41 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Love it. Wouldn't be without it. We use it at least 20 nights a year which pays for it self. Never been turned away from any camp ground and we usually make reservations 2 weeks out.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:20 PM   #21

Resorts of Distinction

We are having nothing but problems with ROD. They've changed the rules so that we cannot use any resort within 100 miles of our home resort. That means we can't use most of the northern California resorts as many are within 100 miles of each other. Because I am chronically ill, we bought our ROD membership so that we could use the ROD resorts close to home. Now that they've arbitrarily added a new rule to membership, we cannot use the membership as we planned or as promoted so we would buy it. I've just gotten off the phone with a salesman at another ROD resort and he tells me that members who beloned to ex-ROD resorts no longer have a membership with ROD. Their memberships are not being transferred to other ROD resorts. So they've lost thousands of dollars for a membership that was essentially taken away from them. I also sent our annual dues to ROD back in October. They tell me they never received the check and I am now past the 90 day reinstatement or grace period. No, I did not receive a notice or reminder stating our dues have not been received. So all this time I've been thinking our membership is active.

This being said, anyone interested in a class action lawsuit against Resorts of Distinction can contact me at tml.lisa@gmail.com.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:13 AM   #22

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tml95823 View Post
We are having nothing but problems with ROD. They've changed the rules so that we cannot use any resort within 100 miles of our home resort. That means we can't use most of the northern California resorts as many are within 100 miles of each other. Because I am chronically ill, we bought our ROD membership so that we could use the ROD resorts close to home. Now that they've arbitrarily added a new rule to membership, we cannot use the membership as we planned or as promoted so we would buy it. I've just gotten off the phone with a salesman at another ROD resort and he tells me that members who beloned to ex-ROD resorts no longer have a membership with ROD. Their memberships are not being transferred to other ROD resorts. So they've lost thousands of dollars for a membership that was essentially taken away from them. I also sent our annual dues to ROD back in October. They tell me they never received the check and I am now past the 90 day reinstatement or grace period. No, I did not receive a notice or reminder stating our dues have not been received. So all this time I've been thinking our membership is active.

This being said, anyone interested in a class action lawsuit against Resorts of Distinction can contact me at tml.lisa@gmail.com.
Sorry that you are having such a problem. First, the 100 mile radius rule was implemented BY your home resort. From the ROD website:

Quote:
Does Resorts of Distinction have a radius rule?
Yes, there is an optional 100-mile radius rule. What does this mean? A resort will request to “opt-in” and select the resort(s) within 100 miles in which the rule will be implemented.
So your home park is the one that has done this to you. Second, if ROD didn't get your payment, and you weren't watching to make sure that the check got cashed, etc., then there is not much you can do about it. That's why we always pay online with a credit card so that we can effectively track and verify that the payments have been made.

As to what happens when a home park is no longer a member of ROD, that is true of ALL affiliate parks. They are add-ons, not primary memberships. In fact, usually they are part of a package to get you to buy the home park membership in the first place. ROD has no say over how much you paid to your home park to get the ROD added - - if it was a lot of money, then that is between you and the home park. The same is true of Coast-to-Coast, RPI, etc. Now Coast-to-Coast will work with you to find you another home park if you want, but you will again have to purchase a membership in that home park. If you didn't understand that when you joined, again that is between you and your home park.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:24 PM   #23

Thanks for the valuable information. I attended a presentation today and have read enough to know that ROD is not for me. It is nice to see some members enjoy their relationship with ROD however the policy by ROD to allow home sites the 100 mile radius rule is surprising and enough for me to elect out. Not sure why you would blame a home site to elect into a policy that ROD supports and allows? I found Gary’s information accurate and unbiased. Your patience and behavior was professional and courteous. More than I would have had - LOL. THANKS GARY!!!
Old 09-04-2011, 06:34 PM   #24

I'm thinking about joining a "club" I'm on the east coast so which one is best?
Old 01-12-2012, 11:04 PM   #25

I know this is an old post but this is the most true statment there is... (ROD you can not buy it it comes with a home park membership... Its is one of the best programs out there.. for only 89 to 169 per year how can you say that it not worth it... free camping at some of the best parks.. member only... if you want public camping at discounted rates go ahead you know public washrooms open the door and good luck... so if you only use it some of the time it still save you thousand of $$$$ stay at parks for 30 to 50 a night then stay free at other do the averages 10 night at 30 the 10 night frree so 15 per night.. we traveled for two year and use ROD AOR and public camps that i would not like to use..remember the public washrooms..... our 2 year out only cost us less than 10 per night on average.... 365 day that 3650 per year base on the average public rates of 30 gee a 7000 per year savings.... ok how can anyone say the a membership is not worth it....... the most important thing is purchase a membership from a park close to home so you can enjoy the benifits of it.... One of the best investment we ever made... and i think we have save ove 70k since we joined...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
Sorry that you are having such a problem. First, the 100 mile radius rule was implemented BY your home resort. From the ROD website:

So your home park is the one that has done this to you. Second, if ROD didn't get your payment, and you weren't watching to make sure that the check got cashed, etc., then there is not much you can do about it. That's why we always pay online with a credit card so that we can effectively track and verify that the payments have been made.

As to what happens when a home park is no longer a member of ROD, that is true of ALL affiliate parks. They are add-ons, not primary memberships. In fact, usually they are part of a package to get you to buy the home park membership in the first place. ROD has no say over how much you paid to your home park to get the ROD added - - if it was a lot of money, then that is between you and the home park. The same is true of Coast-to-Coast, RPI, etc. Now Coast-to-Coast will work with you to find you another home park if you want, but you will again have to purchase a membership in that home park. If you didn't understand that when you joined, again that is between you and your home park.

Barb
Old 01-13-2012, 02:06 PM   #26

and Barb is true about your home park... they set the rules for you... i ts a recipical system , fare, like, share. the restriction you park puts on members can follows you. so join a good home park.. you will not regret it.. we didnt
Also Resorts of Distiction is a recipical system never ment for living in.. Its for vacationing and traveling only... In the past 10 year of using it never been turned away.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:58 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Stay away from ROD - "resorts of distinction" was a member for over 7 years and since I bought RPI they decided I needed to pay them a fee to get my travel account balance refunded. I've emailed and called. They are no help. A call to the BBB is next.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:32 PM   #28

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Are you familure with Camp Coast to Coast?

The two programs are fairly close as to how they work, IN both cases it's about the same price pre night with very much the same restrictions

The major differences is the two systems have some parks that are mutual, and others that are not.. So parks are divided into C2C, ROD and Both

I will second that, The two programs are nearly identical, SOME parks participate in one but not the other.. Just be very sure to READ THE FINE PRINT in the contract.

Gary included Thusand Trails in his list, TT is different, TT is a membership park chain, (Or rather it used to be but they still honor the memberships) you need to belong to one Membership park in most cases to qualify for ROD, RPI or C2C. TT members USED to qualify but at least one of the probrams dropped TT cause they are now open to the public.

I belong to two Membership parks, This means that during the summer I pay less than 100/month for parking (I go back and forth between the two) and in the winter less than 200, When I had a stick house. Utilities in the winter were more than 200/month.