Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2019, 12:28 PM   #15

I'm pretty much in the same place you are for what type of coach to buy, but without the bad back. l like the other poster said there are many levels of bad back. If it only restricts your comfort that is one thing, if it restricts your movement that's a whole different story, only you have the answer to that question. I was fairly open minded about what type of coach I wanted to buy and have pretty much decided on what is called a Super C, in my case a Jayco Seneca. The reasons for this are a couple, the first is safety, although not perfect the fact that it is built on a truck chassis gives you somewhat better roll-over protection. The second is that it is built on a medium duty truck chassis so just about any diesel truck shop in the country can work on it, unlike diesel pusher Class A's. I also think they may be easier for you to drive. The newer Seneca, and most other Super C motor homes have sufficient storage and what is called "cargo carrying capacity" (CCC)to fit your needs. This is not a small item. I was looking at a class C built on a Ford chassis a few weeks ago and it only had something around 1,500 lbs or less of cargo carrying capacity, less than half of what I think I would need. I know I mentioned a Seneca but there are other brands that come to mind, Nexus Ghost and another model that starts with a W, a couple of Dynamaxes and some more. One thing I have been told by more that one person that I know that is very familiar with diesel engines is to avoid any Maxxforce engine (International/Navistar) like the plague. Go for a Cummins engine with an Allison transmission. The other thing I have read is NEVER buy new motor home. They all have warranty issues and it takes forever to get them fixed. That said you may want to look at an "extended" warranty which is really just a service plan. I won't buy one but that's because except for heavy engine, transmission or rear-end work I can do it myself. I may look into a chassis only service plan if they sell them. You should be able to buy a 1-3 year old coach like I've described for about $150,000 maybe a little more if it's last year's model. Good luck. One more thing to remember all of the appliances in coaches are made by just a handful of suppliers so there is no great difference in the appliances.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2019, 03:05 PM   #16

If you have bad backs, then the seating is critical, and only you can determine what fits you comfortably. A whole lot of time spent seated in the seats and furniture of candidate rigs is called for.
There really isn't such a thing as an RV that's friendly to weak backs. The upside is you can travel in bed or on the sofa. As long as there's someone to drive...

I've been in that situation, unable to get in or out of a coach for days due to back issues, and dependent on someone else to drive and do all the work. It's not a good situation.
Old 04-04-2019, 03:30 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You get a lot of differing opinions any time you ask a question here.

For that kind of money you can find a lot of used class As that are in good shape and only a few years old.

Ours is an 02 Journey and when we got it it was only a few years old. It is still a substantial unit and I think we'll probably keep it until we call it quits.

That's the key, buy something that will take you many miles and be comfortable. We've had a few RVs over the years but this diesel pusher is the best experience we've had. Plenty of power and can tow a vehicle behind with no effort. Air ride. Very little engine noise. Pretty good storage space. As it's older we have no emission problems, that means no DEF. A diesel genset means we can park anywhere and live comfortable. A queen sized bed. Washer dryer. Flat screen TVs along with DISH satellite.

I could go on, but you get the picture. An older well built coach that has been well maintained is what you want and for that price you should have no problem finding one.

PS, go to any mattress factory and have a mattress built for you. We did.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 09:30 AM   #18

Everything is a compromise. I had the same budget as you. I only wanted something new. Understand that it is common the get 30 to 35% off MSRP on a new rig. The wife and I have had 2 trailers and one Class C before. What I discovered is that that price range would either buy an entry level Class A or a top quality Class C. I went with an Entegra Esteem 29V which measures out to 32.5' in length. My compromise is in storage. There is a lot of outside compartments but when you consider what a fulltimer would need it comes up a little short. I have only had it for few weeks and taken 1 trip. I am not a full timer but will be a "Mostly Timer". It rides great for Class C having the Jayco, J ride. It also comes with a 2 year warranty. I find its size perfect for me and the dog (my wife passed 5 months ago) but certainly very comfortable for 2. My back is pretty good but I do have some serious heart issues so ease of operation and drive-ability was important to me.

As you are not mechanical you are probably the only type of person I'd recommend an aftermarket warranty. Be sure to either read the policy in its entirety or have a lawyer read it for you as they are written in the insurer's best interest. Understand what is covered and what is not. Also understand the repair process and when or if prior authorization is required and whether you have to save replaced parts for reimbursement. Even when you understand the contract, many unscrupulous companies will still try to delay payment or deny even when they shouldn't.

You are about to spend a lot of money. Take the time to research and understand the realities of what you want to do. It can be fun or it can be a nightmare. My favorite saying is "The difference between agony and adventure is attitude!"

I am not a mechanic but I do play one in my garage!
OlYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:42 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Have you ever had or used an RV? If not I'd suggest renting one for a week or two.
This is GREAT advice !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Are you planning on towing a car behind your RV?
This is the reason I am not a MH fan ! A pickup or a large SUV and a TT/5er is a much more flexible option.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:54 AM   #20

I would go to rv dealers and look at a lot of rv's be careful of salesmen they will tell you anything (lie) to make a sale look only! then do A LOT of thinking about this then THINK ABOUT IT . again good luck...
Mojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 12:41 PM   #21

Lots of advice here and all of the ideas have their pros and cons. In the end, it's usually more of a personal taste of what works best for you.

Depending on what you choose, and I believe how lucky you are,,, you can get a rig that's dependable and almost trouble free. This is not the norm though so you have to be prepared to have adjustments, replacements, and repairs done when things mess up.

It's definitely nice to be somewhat mechanically inclined but since the OP mentioned they were not, they'll have to be prepared to pay. Even while under warranty, they'll need to realize that most warranty repairs won't be done very quickly. I've read stories on here where repair facilities kept coaches for months, usually with the waiting for parts excuse. Of course there are exceptions out. Again, luck plays a part in finding the right dealer or shop..

Hate to sound negative but it's likely there's going to be some issues.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:43 PM   #22

I have a bumm back and the rougher ride of the typical F53 leaf sprung chassis gas RVs (A or C) was a major factor in trading our last gas A (ACE 29.W) for our 2018 Palazzo 33.2 air ride DP, which was night and day for ride, quiet, and comparitively stressfree experience. The noise from the screaming engine on the gas A, plus the rattling everything added to the stress induced muscle fatigue and aggravated back pain.
Brand new, we were under your budget for our new DP.
Good luck!
Old 04-08-2019, 04:46 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
5 days later and nothing from the OP?
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:50 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robwilddog View Post
We are seniors looking to buy our first motor home. We are not mechanical & have Bad backs. We are looking for a new rig not too big but 26’is too small we will be taking cross country trips. Drive ease and drive control are necessary. Need storage space and want a coach that we could put a good interspring queen mattress in. Need a product that is in excellent operating condition when delivered and offers nationwide warranty and non warranty authorized service. Price range is flexible at $150K. Tell us if we are realistic and PLEASE tell us anything NOT to buy. Thanks, Rob
That pretty much rules out everything. You may get one that is in excellent condition, but a windshield wiper to hitch ball warranty for a used coach doesn't even exist in a LSD trip, and based on reading the forum, expecting timely and reasonable service in most shops makes the trip look much more believable.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:24 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Good info

We’re in a similar situation, first MH, same budget and want advise on what to steer clear of and what to look for. Good info here, Thx, but I’m still unclear what we should get. I guess the research is just part of the fun, huh?
MidMichHunte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 08:38 PM   #26

My 42 year old son has a bad hip, and is also non-mechanically-inclined (he pays people to do things)

While he loves our coach, and has been offered it's use any time they want, he is adamant about saying, "NO". He knows his limitations.

Money isn't his obstacle by a long shot; it is the reality that a coach and a boat are two things that only work if the operator is inclined and able to keep them working.

Anybody that is retirement age has my son by 20-25 years. Add a second bad back and stop the presses; you don't want to do this.

Buying something new is no better, because unless you plan to live where the coach was built, you'll be far away and the cost to either fix or haul it to the shop will deplete your funds faster than ever thought possible...not to mention that your time and spirits will be lost down the toilet of bad life.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:02 AM   #27

Take a look at some Newmar Bay Star or Canyon Star motorhomes. They are gas engine motorhomes that are well built and affordable. With your budget, consider a good used one that is 3-5 years old or so. But you will probably want to tow a car, so you need to read up on that subject and that will be another cost factor. Allow four to five thousand to have a car set up for towing and purchasing the tow bar and related items. Then you have to see if you have a vehicle that can be towed four down or if you need to purchase one. With your budget, if you buy a used gas motorhome and used vehicle for towing, you should have quite a few choices. And, you can purchase an extended warranty.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 06:20 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidMichHunte View Post
We’re in a similar situation, first MH, same budget and want advise on what to steer clear of and what to look for. Good info here, Thx, but I’m still unclear what we should get. I guess the research is just part of the fun, huh?
Since this is your 3rd post, unlike the OP...too many one post and never to be heard, I’ll try although other than empty nesters, how many days a year do you think you will use a RV? Are you handy? Why only 36’? No need for a diesel in a rig that short. Do you buy used cars? If not then unlikely you will be comfortable buying used. Sorry for all the questions but hard to give a good answer without knowing more.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice