Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2010, 12:22 PM   #1

retract entry steps

This is really a 2 part question.
The first part concerns the main and aux battery "on/off" switches on the ems panel. Does everybody turn these switches "OFF" when they store the coach.
Then part 2. If you turn the switches "off" how do you retract the entry steps upon exit.
Thanks
Bob

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2010, 01:09 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't tun mine off but I'm not away from the coach for long, just a few days at a time. I guess if you are goint to turn it off I'd do so when inside and with the door closed and steps retracted, then jump.

Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:24 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
this is what i do
close the door, then turn off the batteries, then open the door and carefully climb out of the rig, then close and lock the door
this way the steps stay in..
sometimes i bring along a small step to help my old bones up
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
this is what i do
close the door, then turn off the batteries, then open the door and carefully climb out of the rig, then close and lock the door
this way the steps stay in..
sometimes i bring along a small step to help my old bones up
My 08 Astoria must be wired differently - the step motor and sensor operate when the coach batteries are off.

What I do is to close the screen door only, reach through the opening in the screen door and turn off the coach batteries. It's not the world's most elegant solution, but it works for a coach like mine that has the coach battery disconnect reachable this way.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:27 PM   #5
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It really depends on your make model, and year. For my 2008 Winnebago Destination, I have to leave the chassis and house batteries turned on. I am constantly plugged into 110v so the Trik-l-Charge is charging both sets of batteries.

I do have to turn the step switch to the off position. If the steps are left on there is a constant voltage being applied that will drain the batteries if left on, so I also close the screen door, let the steps go in and reach through the screen and turn the steps off.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:09 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
It really depends on your make model, and year..
Yup.

Our Cruise-Air's steps won't budge if the house batteries are turned off...

Our Allegro's steps work regardless...
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:18 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDan View Post
My 08 Astoria must be wired differently - the step motor and sensor operate when the coach batteries are off.

What I do is to close the screen door only, reach through the opening in the screen door and turn off the coach batteries. It's not the world's most elegant solution, but it works for a coach like mine that has the coach battery disconnect reachable this way.
sorry the first way is how i do my folks bounder.
the Tuscany is different i wired a switch in series to the ground on the step mag switch and flip it to off, the step retracts and i can do this while standing on the ground, it will kill power no matter which position the step switch on teh wall is switched to.
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:11 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
I use a fold up stool to ease entry when steps are retracted.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:27 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't worry about it. Would prefer there was no battery disconnect, 'cause it gets kicked off often due the position the manufacturer mounted it in.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:40 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our coach has a "Store/On" switch and when I select store then supposedly all battery power is disconnected. That is except for the entry steps. They always work.
TJ (Teacup Poodle 2.7 lbs)
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:44 AM   #11

steps

thanks for the replies. powerboater has a great idea for my situation.
turn off power with door closed then climb out. would not mind leaving the steps down but storage is tight and i'm afraid a neighbor might just clip them off.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:03 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
I extend the steps and then shut off the batteries and leave the steps extended.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:47 AM   #13

retract entry steps

Some manufactures have a switch near the coach door that shuts power off to the steps only in addition to the main battery cut off switch(s) so that you can keep the steps out when you are using the RV and still keep the power on inside the RV - if you do not have one, find the power wire going to the step control module and put a switch in-line with that wire (near the coach screen door opening if possible) and you can control the operation of the steps independanty of the coach power switch - you can then open and close the coach door wthout the steps retracting - when you put the coach into storage step out, close the door, let the steps retract and then shut both switches off ( this can be done if the step switch is mounted near the opening of the coach screen door slide/opening- when you take the RV out of storage turn on the coach power, and then (making sure you are out of the way) turn the step power switch on -this is why the manufactures put these switches near the coach entrance door.