Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2005, 07:23 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
I just finished installing a 5 stage Watts system. It took better part of a day due to the way I had mount it in the coach compared to the way they instruct you to (house is assumed). The biggest pain was the size of the opening under the sink. Only had 2 small leaks. Just tightened the fittings and pesto no more leaks.

I installed a ledger board to attach the unit to as it is a bit heavy and its only held up with 2 screws. I figure the bounce form the drive would tear out the screws from the wood panels used in wall construction. I also had to install some eye bolts so I could "bungie" the hold tank to keep it in place (holds 3 gals of water).

Why.... Well we plan to go semi full time soon. I am building a 40x75 building with an apt, shop and storage. This will serve as home base when we get tired and need a break from the RV.

How does it work? So far great. It takes about 6 to 10 hours to go through the first cycle. Cost, $139 at CostCo. Now add tax, s/h, nonmember and you are looking at $175. Water is .35 a gal do the math. Now add in replacement filters and you are looking at a 18 to 24 month payback.

Only one drawback... its takes water to make water. About 5 to 1. There are more expensive versions that recycle some of the water. But,when you are on the road ???? Lastly, you need fairly good water to start with. I have a whole house prefilter the filters the whole coach.

As always this project is on my Yahoo Photo site (link in my signature) along with IRV2 photo pages.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2005, 04:47 AM   #2

Jayco Owners Club
Nice job Dale. You're giving me ideas!! Thanks for posting WITH pictures.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 05:22 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Forgot to add one thing.... consider mounting i a basement and extending a couple of the lines.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:58 AM   #4

DALE: Talk about the power of iRV2.com!! Wife and I just started looking into getting a RO system. I decided to do a search here and YOUR installcame up, complete with pictures. I'll look forward to getting an up close look in Branson, if you don't mind. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 03:54 AM   #5

I believe more and more purified water. The reverse osmosis system is the best and I have seen them in MHs, but I have a question. It seems like a bear to winterize. It would seem that you would have to either uninstall it or blow most or all of the water out.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 07:09 AM   #6

Jim, you have forgotten the easiest solution for any winterizing tasks-be a snowbird. Ken,'04 DSDP...
Ken Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 03:46 PM   #7
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
I picked up a RO system with a pump in Yuma at the flea market. I can fill the main tank (88gal) in aprox 18-24 hours then because the whole unit is in a rubbermaid container, I unhook it and place it in a compartment.
When I got home I brought the unit into my house and am now using it to fill 5 gal bottles for the kitchen dispenser (takes 1 1/2 hour per bottle) this keeps the unit fresh and dosn't require winterizing.
Plumb it into the fill line for you main tank that way you can still use your coach pump while you are filling the main tank.
It cost $450 for the unit and $480 for the 4 stitches when I cut myself when I was cutting the white plastic water line.
Hope this helps.