Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2010, 06:57 PM   #1

Rexhall Rexair 1999-two slides and jacks

My problem is that the HWH livingroom slideout will creep back in about 2 inches after it has been extended out.I have crawled under and looked for leaks and found the forward ram moist near the outer end.It is a 2 ram system with a syncro cylinder.I also found that the fluid in the reservoir was low.I corrected reservoir fluid level and it still creeps in.I have 2 questions.
Question #1--how do you get to the hydraulic piston inside the ram?(to check fittings etc where it is moist and maybe leaking?)

Question #2--What else could cause creep in?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2010, 04:09 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Hello and . We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experience. I am sure you will enjoy the website and forums. Good luck, stay safe and keep us posted.
There should be access through the belly of the floor in compartment ceiling to get to the ram pistons.
A bad solenoid is more likely the culprit. Make certain the manual valve is tight (all the way out) first. If it is then it is in the valve. You might relieve the pressure on the system and take the valve out to see if any debris in valve. Good luck and be careful.

06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:15 AM   #3

1999 Rexhall Rexair slide problem

[QUOTE=RV Wizard;709979]
There should be access through the belly of the floor in compartment ceiling to get to the ram pistons.

I own a 1999 Rexhall Rexair motorhome with 2 slideouts.It is the front livingroom slide that is giving me the problem.When this slide is extended it will creep back in about 2 inches over time.When the slide is extened and you crawl under to inspect you will find 2 rams ,one at each end below the slideout.There is also a sycronizing cylinder mounted to the motor home frame that makes the 2 rams move evenly.With the slide extended you can see some moisture on the front most ram at the end attached to the outside wall of the slideout.It is not wet enough to make it drip but still wet.Over 10 years it has leaked out 18 oz of hydraulic (ATF) fluid.I have filled the reservoir to its proper limit.My problem is accessing the hydraulic cylinder inside the front most ram to see what is leaking (cylinder or fitting or hose)?You say maybe a trap door inside the motorhome to gain access to inside of rams? No trap doors.Looking under the slideout with it extended I can see the ram fully extended.It is a tube 3 inches wide ,6 inches deep and about 24 inches long that has another tube the same length that slides into it when the slide is retracted.It looks like there must be a hydraulic cylinder inside this tube.To access this cylinder it looks like maybe you have to block the extened slide up to take the weight off the slideout ram.You then can remove 4 nuts off the ram end that is attached to the slideout outside wall.This may allow you to slide the inner ram tube into the outer ram tube and expose the hydraulic cylinder,fittings and hoses.Has anyone done this and does this sound right because there is no acces from inside the motorhome like RV WIZARD suggests.It may be the selenoid like he says that is causing the problem but i still would like to find the cause of the leak at the ram.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:35 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a 2005 Rexhall with HWH ram for my slide and it will creep out. the HWH people were very helpful in answering why. I did not have any leakage but it was a bad solenoid valve.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:25 AM   #5

Solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutmstr View Post
I have a 2005 Rexhall with HWH ram for my slide and it will creep out. the HWH people were very helpful in answering why. I did not have any leakage but it was a bad solenoid valve.
Mine also is a selenoid extend valve failing and I also learned how to remove the slide ram cylinders if I ever have to .Thanks for the reply SCOUTMSTR

RV WIZARD---you were right ,the access to the cap end of the ram cylinders is in the cubbies.Thank you
Old 07-15-2011, 03:53 PM   #6

I have a 2000 Rexhall RexAir 3650 with two slides with a related issue. My bedroom slide retracts/extends very very slowly...I mean it creeps in/out. It will also come out about an inch or so while driving after being fully retracted. The living room slide works great.

Does anyone know if this could be a solenoid like discussed in this thread or something else?
Old 07-16-2011, 04:33 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexAir_3650 View Post
I have a 2000 Rexhall RexAir 3650 with two slides with a related issue. My bedroom slide retracts/extends very very slowly...I mean it creeps in/out. It will also come out about an inch or so while driving after being fully retracted. The living room slide works great.

Does anyone know if this could be a solenoid like discussed in this thread or something else?
what kinda slide? if it is hwh call them at 800.321.3494. ask for frank. the receptionist will ask you for your reference number. use your 3 initials. frank will probably have to call you back. he is one busy man and he knows his stuff.

as for the slide creeping out, i cut a 2x4, attached a stout ribbon to it and install it in the slide overhead to make sure the slide does not auto-extend again while i am driving. once was enough.
make sure the oil reservoir is full when the slides and jacks are retracted.
yes, it could be a solenoid causing your problem. the hwh slides have an extension and retraction solenoid for each slide.

http://www.hwhcorp.com/

01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote