Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2014, 11:20 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RhinoFlex fit inside 4" Vinyl Fence Post Cover?

A common solution for storing the RV sewer hose is to install a 4" vinyl fence post cover under the RV somewhere, install end caps on either end with holes drilled in them for ventilation, and voila', perfect solution.

I can't find a source for those vinyl fence post covers at my local Home Depot or Lowes. I can order one from HD to be shipped to the store, but I'm not sure if my Rhino sewer hoses, including the 90 degree fitting that attaches to the sewer adapter and the fitting on the RV-side of the hose, will fit inside that 4" square. They also sell a 6" post cover, but that's really huge and I'd like to avoid that if possible.

I purchased a 4" ID drainage (thin wall PVC) pipe but it wasn't big enough. Maybe with the additional space provided by the square corners on the fence post liner I'd be ok??

Anyone with a Rhino Sewer Hose like this one RhinoFLEX Swivel RV Sewer Kit - Camco 39761 - Sewer Hoses - Camping World able to tell me if it will fit inside a 4" vinyl fence post cover?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2014, 01:31 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
A common solution for storing the RV sewer hose is to install a 4" vinyl fence post cover under the RV somewhere,
Anyone with a Rhino Sewer Hose like this one RhinoFLEX Swivel RV Sewer Kit - Camco 39761 - Sewer Hoses - Camping World able to tell me if it will fit inside a 4" vinyl fence post cover?
Statgeek
I would guess that the hose and the straight fittings would fit in a 4" sq post cover, however the clear elbow and the orange threaded fitting will have to be carried in a storage compartment.
If you can live with that simply buy a post cover and try the fit, (return it if it doesn't fit).
Mel

Old 02-26-2014, 01:47 PM   #3

Quote:
A common solution for storing the RV sewer hose is to install a 4" vinyl fence post cover under the RV somewhere
Statgeek
I would guess that the RhinoFLEX hose will fit in a 4" sq post cover with the straight fittings attached, (but you will have to carry the clear elbow and the threaded orange fitting in a storage compartment).
If you can live with that simply buy a post cover and try the fit.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:59 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This is my inquiry, because the opaque elbow on the RhinoFLEX hose does not remove easily. It can be removed, but that is not the intended design. It does disconnect from the screw-in adapter that gets attached to the sewer at a campground, but it is not supposed to be disconnected from the hose itself.

It's a popular hose, so I'm hoping there will be someone with that hose AND the 4" fence post with direct experience?

I see that Camping World also sells a black and a white circular pipe with end caps that was designed for this purpose. Interestingly, there are multiple reviews of the white one that say it cannot hold the RhinoFLEX hose and fittings, but one reviewer of the black one that says it fits??? Go figure!

Yes... I could buy these things and try them, and return them if they don't fit, but that's a bit of a pain that I'm trying to avoid.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:00 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here are some specs. You could make a paper or cardboard mock up. The inside would be 3.77" square.

The internal vinyl post cap is a clean and simple design to complete your post. This cap fits internally on a true 4” x 4” post (minimum inside dimensions are 3.675" x 3.675"). Available in White, Tan, and Khaki Colors.

SPECIFICATIONS

Actual post height (in.)
Actual post thickness (in.)
Actual post width (in.)
Assembled Depth (in.)
4.00 in
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:08 PM   #6

To fit the elbows you need a 5 in post.

I used 4 3/4 in and can't fit the elbows, but I also us a rain gutter to slide it in and out.

I mounted 2, the other holds my ladder.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0780.JPG
Views:	303
Size:	207.7 KB
ID:	57027

Name:	DSCF0781.JPG
Views:	246
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	57028

Name:	DSCF0779.JPG
Views:	258
Size:	234.7 KB
ID:	57029
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:36 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
0Thanks guys. Really like that gutter-slide idea. That's a 5" vinyl post cover?
Old 02-26-2014, 06:42 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR John View Post
To fit the elbows you need a 5 in post. I used 4 3/4 in and can't fit the elbows, but I also us a rain gutter to slide it in and out. I mounted 2, the other holds my ladder.
So how did you connect then to your Rv? And..is that a DP? Do you have any clearance concerns??
Old 02-26-2014, 10:06 PM   #9

Quote:
0Thanks guys. Really like that gutter-slide idea. That's a 5" vinyl post cover?

Yes, a 5" cover on a 4 3/4" post.

Quote:
So how did you connect then to your Rv? And..is that a DP? Do you have any clearance concerns??

It's a 43' Newmar Dutch Star diesel, no clearance problems at all. It's attached to the underside bracing with chain. Cinched tight with a bolt.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:21 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I also used the 5 inch post and cap ends for my hose and fitting storage which sits on a shelf above my LPG tank in the fuel & LPG tank compartment.

The white post and caps were purchased at Home Depot.

Veranda 5 in. x 5 in. x 8 ft. White Vinyl Fence Post-73010700 at The Home Depot

Veranda 5 in. x 5 in. Vinyl White Pyramid Post Top-73003093 at The Home Depot

I screwed one end cap on so it wouldn't come off when the hose was shoved into the fence post and then the other cap has a handle which I installed.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 02-27-2014, 06:10 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
A common solution for storing the RV sewer hose is to install a 4" vinyl fence post cover under the RV somewhere, install end caps on either end with holes drilled in them for ventilation, and voila', perfect solution.

I can't find a source for those vinyl fence post covers at my local Home Depot or Lowes. I can order one from HD to be shipped to the store, but I'm not sure if my Rhino sewer hoses, including the 90 degree fitting that attaches to the sewer adapter and the fitting on the RV-side of the hose, will fit inside that 4" square. They also sell a 6" post cover, but that's really huge and I'd like to avoid that if possible.

I purchased a 4" ID drainage (thin wall PVC) pipe but it wasn't big enough. Maybe with the additional space provided by the square corners on the fence post liner I'd be ok??

i store 25 ft of rhinoflex in a 6'' white drain tube with caps on each end. i installed angle iron across the frame rails and attached the drain hose with large hose clamps. this arrangement is still working just fine.
i made a post with pics when i installed this several years ago.
this forum has changed the search format and made it a pita to find my post in the archives.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:37 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
i store 25 ft of rhinoflex in a 6'' white drain tube with caps on each end. i installed angle iron across the frame rails and attached the drain hose with large hose clamps. this arrangement is still working just fine.
i made a post with pics when i installed this several years ago.
this forum has changed the search format and made it a pita to find my post in the archives.
I found this one that you posted with a photo:
How DO You Store the Sewage Hose in Vista26P?
Old 02-27-2014, 11:17 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks everyone for the details. I was hoping to be able to install something like this in my rear passenger-side engine compartment, but going parallel with the RV and at an angle so that I could feed the hose in from the the "up" side, and have a cap with lots of holes in the "down" side for drainage. I'm not sure if it'll fit, but that's an option that I like. I planned on mounting it as close to that basement door & furthest from engine area as possible. There's plenty of room in there, but I wonder if the temps will get too hot?? Anyone try that idea?
Old 02-27-2014, 12:47 PM   #14

http://valterra.com/product/ez-hose-.../?pcat_id=1266

GA Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote