RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2019, 06:43 AM   #1

Rinsing out black tanks using full fresh tank

Hi,

Anyone ever rinse their black tank using the on board fresh tank?

Looks like I have 3 options.

1. Flush toilet or run spray hose constantly.
2. Hook hose from to toilet.
3. Hookup exterior shower to black tank rinse.

I have done 1 but not 2 and 3.

I have access to my home water system but would rather than dumping the fresh tank wanted to see if I could put it to use.

Thanks,

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2019, 06:58 AM   #2

Location: Wolf Creek dam area, Ky. Cardinal Center Camp Ground, Marengo Oh. or on the road.
Tell us

Why not ????

Are you winterizing and want to drain the fresh water tank ???

HJLowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 07:17 AM   #3

I have a ,IMO, sh....ty set up toilet into my black water tank,
Tank is 6-7" tall, the pipe flange and drop into the tank from toilet is a almost 5". leaving 2" 1/2 inch space for stuff to get into tank..
Clog, build up blah blah

I normally put in a few gallons of water into the black tank ,, before the adventure starts then refill or fill my fresh water..

IF no major build up and we use enough water to keep stuff moving,
One Rver told me to dump ice cubes from freezer or cooler into toilet before leaving, he said it will slosh around and help break up , paper and solids..Myth or Fact not sure..

Any way I am lucky to dump into my own system on property..or in town if I have too.

Back to your Question.

I have dumped the entire Fresh tank into Black til it came up the toilet.
I can run my bath room sink as it goes into black tank..
Or I wedge something in pedal..

This has only once or twice been enough water to really clean black tank.

I always drag a hose into the RV, I have a 6ft extension with not fitting I stick into tank as I wedge open the pedal.. IT helps break up issues,
Last weekend I filled and rinsed 4 times... URGH to get it squeeky clean for winter storage...

AS for #3 , I not sure how you can do that...
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 07:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Driver View Post
Hi,

Anyone ever rinse their black tank using the on board fresh tank?

Looks like I have 3 options.

1. Flush toilet or run spray hose constantly.
2. Hook hose from to toilet.
3. Hookup exterior shower to black tank rinse.

I have done 1 but not 2 and 3.

I have access to my home water system but would rather than dumping the fresh tank wanted to see if I could put it to use.

Thanks,

One more option
- we use this as we travel to conserve tank space and keep the Black tank Fluid - Every night/Morning/shower we will fill about a Gallon and a Half into the shower Bucket/Trash Can and dump it into the toilet - so as to not waste the water it takes to get to Hot Shower temperature - You could just run the shower into a 5 Gallon bucket and dump as often as needed.

It is all going to be filled again with crap so no need to obsess over it - what comes out is fine the rest will be there next year - all dried up, rinse and you will be fine then.

Just a thought,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 07:27 AM   #5

Thanks both,

It is indeed to drain the fresh water tank for winterizing. Also my black tanks sensors are clogged.
Old 11-03-2019, 08:01 AM   #6

I am lucky enough to be able to dump my RV at a septic tank at my house. Prior to starting home from a campground we fill the black to to a little less than a quarter tank. I put some dish soap and some bleach in the black tank. The drive home sloshes the stickies around the tank breaking it down.. At home I dump and flush the tank. A clean tank is the result. I haven’t had a problem with sensors since I started doing that.
Vongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vongreg View Post
I am lucky enough to be able to dump my RV at a septic tank at my house. Prior to starting home from a campground we fill the black to to a little less than a quarter tank. I put some dish soap and some bleach in the black tank. The drive home sloshes the stickies around the tank breaking it down.. At home I dump and flush the tank. A clean tank is the result. I haven’t had a problem with sensors since I started doing that.
Thanks Vongreg,

How much dish soap and bleach do you add?
Old 11-03-2019, 08:15 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Although unlikely. running the outdoor shower hose to the black tank rinse risks contaminating the fresh tank with black water if the back flow device fails. It's the same concept as not using your fresh water hose to flush it.
Running a hose from the fresh tank to a wand in the toilet would be a better option.
https://wordpress.com/posts/enjoying-life.net
spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:31 AM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have found that using the tank rinser does a far better job.Just filling and dumping one extra time may only get some of the remaining stuff moving towards the "exit" but not there yet. If I was going to winterize I would rather use the rinser for long enough to know it had all flushed out. The river effect does a much better job of flushing it out.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
Although unlikely. running the outdoor shower hose to the black tank rinse risks contaminating the fresh tank with black water if the back flow device fails. It's the same concept as not using your fresh water hose to flush it.
Running a hose from the fresh tank to a wand in the toilet would be a better option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post

One more option
- we use this as we travel to conserve tank space and keep the Black tank Fluid - Every night/Morning/shower we will fill about a Gallon and a Half into the shower Bucket/Trash Can and dump it into the toilet - so as to not waste the water it takes to get to Hot Shower temperature - You could just run the shower into a 5 Gallon bucket and dump as often as needed.

It is all going to be filled again with crap so no need to obsess over it - what comes out is fine the rest will be there next year - all dried up, rinse and you will be fine then.

Just a thought,
Hi,

I was concerned about contamination from the black tank rinse from the shower.

When on the road we often do dump the wash up water down the toilet, stopped doing it when the black tank sensors started acting up.

I think filling buckets with the shower and flushing down the toilet seems the best option :-)
Old 11-03-2019, 08:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
I have found that using the tank rinser does a far better job.Just filling and dumping one extra time may only get some of the remaining stuff moving towards the "exit" but not there yet. If I was going to winterize I would rather use the rinser for long enough to know it had all flushed out. The river effect does a much better job of flushing it out.
I will use the garden hose attached to the tank rinse :-)
Old 11-03-2019, 08:53 AM   #12

Thanks all for the advice.

I will be going out to do the job shortly.
Old 11-04-2019, 06:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Driver View Post
Thanks Vongreg,

How much dish soap and bleach do you add?

I don’t measure, say a half to full cup of bleach. On the dish soap, maybe a quarter to half cup. I am not shy about using it. You definitely are not going to hurt anything.
Vongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 06:58 AM   #14

This might just be for you

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank