Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2014, 06:42 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by casterbonham View Post
OK, sorry I didn't include that we drive a DP. I didn't know they made a 38 foot GASSER. Thanks for your input
HEY...that is 39' GASSER to you mister! LOL

Not only do gassers suffer from lack of weight compared to their DP brethren, they have a proportionally longer overhang. That overhang is the tail that really wants to wag the dog. To be honest, I loved driving it for the most part but there were times I really disliked it. We did upgrade to Koni shocks and 6 new tires and that helped a lot. If I were to have kept it, I would have invested in a rear track bar. It already had a steering assist and front track bar.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2014, 06:45 AM   #16

Two years ago passing through Oklahoma we were hammered by a fierce crosswind hitting the drivers side. It was bad enough that it unfurled the awning and put it on the roof. It didn't do any damage, but it sure got my attention when I saw it flapping in the wind in my mirror. To keep it rolled up I had to push the awning arm toward the front when rolling it back up making sure the release lever was rolled up inside the awning. Made for a bit of a problem trying to get it back down, but that was preferrable to having a spinaker on the coach. I put on an awning lock shortly after that.

Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:44 PM   #17
doc

Appalachian Campers
One of the most stressful days we ever spent was crossing Oklahoma west to east on I-40. We both had jobs back then and had to get back to Georgia within a few days. We left Amarillo fairly early in the morning and as we reached the border wind was blowing pretty strong out of the south. At times it would gust, but mostly just steady. All day long, until we got to Ft Smith and overnighted in a spooky RV park inside a pecan grove, it was fight the steering wheel to the right. We were not loaded heavy then and I guess I never thought of the extra weight helping. I was so exhausted that I didn't even eat supper, just went to bed and slept like a dead man all night.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:52 PM   #18

Not much you can do when its a windy day. Take a 4ft x 8ft sheet of plywood and carry it across the parking lot,,, if its windy its a handful,,, same as your coach. Can't always pick and choose our days but it sure is a nicer ride on a calm sunny day.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:28 PM   #19

National RV Owners Club
The one quick and easy thing is to reduce your speed. Often winds work in combination with the velocity of your own vehicle. That 40 MPH gust coming in from 10 o'clock is much more than just 40 mph. Just like with sailing, you have to figure out where the winds are mainly coming from judge how they are impacting your vehicle in combination with your own speed. Slowing down won't take the problem away but it may reduce some of the white knuckle condition. And at some point, like several have posted, discretion can become the better part of valor. Sometimes better to just pull over and pick a more opportune time. Better to be late, than on your side.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:41 PM   #20
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree with sir. I have driven I-40 several times. Seems it's the only/best/direct way to get to Anaheim area in So Cal where our son lives. I've simply slowed to 45-50 and said the heck with it. Still irritating but more manageable. In the panhandle area and west, it seems the wind never really lays down, unless you want to drive at 2am to 7am. So waiting it out is not going to work.
I'd love to find a less windy route from Indiana..
Old 08-02-2014, 12:22 AM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Bigger sway bar, better shocks, steering side, toe-in on tires, probably more, but that's what I've heard recommended to reduce white knuckle driving.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:24 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by casterbonham View Post
Just returned from our trip to California and found ourselves in cross winds! We have a class A 38 foot motorhome, love it but my arm and hand is still aching from keeping it on the road. My question is, what can I do to help prevent this from occurring? Would a front steering stabilizer help along with a pair of new shock absorbers? Thanks for any help

Just a thought or two: Have you had the alignement checked? Tire pressures correct? weighed the vehicle four corners and moved heavy "stuff" to try to balance the weight? Is there a shop similar to Henderson's in Grants Pass in your area that specializes in RV handling?
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:04 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Road stress

Living in California, I know how well the desert winds can wreak havoc on an RVer's nerves. I have lost two patio awnings over the years, while driving it windy conditions. I had a Safe-T-Plus on my old gasser coach which helped tremendously. Several months ago I installed a Blue Ox TruCenter on my DP. I recently put it to the test in some windy conditions. It worked as advertised. I straightened the wheel, hit the set button and the coach was much easier to handle. Driver fatigue has been at a minimum since the install. They are pricey, but if you frequently drive in windy areas as I do they are worth it.

As others have said, if the winds are extreme, the best solution is to pull off the highway and wait for them to diminish.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:22 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig P. View Post
Living in California, I know how well the desert winds can wreak havoc on an RVer's nerves. I have lost two patio awnings over the years, while driving it windy conditions. I had a Safe-T-Plus on my old gasser coach which helped tremendously. Several months ago I installed a Blue Ox TruCenter on my DP. I recently put it to the test in some windy conditions. It worked as advertised. I straightened the wheel, hit the set button and the coach was much easier to handle. Driver fatigue has been at a minimum since the install. They are pricey, but if you frequently drive in windy areas as I do they are worth it.

As others have said, if the winds are extreme, the best solution is to pull off the highway and wait for them to diminish.

Craig
Driving over Cajon Pass is almost always exciting at the very least! I was behind a couple of tractors pulling a double wide, the wind hit the open side of one half, within a quarter mile the guy was just pulling the frame & floor, it looked like a case of dynamite went off in it.
rivraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:52 PM   #25

The Blue Ox TruCenter has made a believer out of me on a number of occasions when driving in heavy winds. I would highly recommend this device.

wigginsjsr is offline   Reply With Quote