Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2008, 07:31 AM   #1
Retired Senior Member

Haven't been able to reach the tech support people at Roadmaster yet, so here's my question: how does the Evenbrake decide on when and how much braking is required? Is it a mechanical or an electrical process? My confusion arises from the "Simple Three Step Installation" claim that has become a 50-plus step novel of how to install the system in my '99 Jeep GC. Apparently, if I use a separate set of lights (mag base type) instead of the Jeep's lighting, I "MUST" install another brake switch (available from Roadmaster). Can't see a reason for this. Anyone have one of these systems that also has the time to straighten me out? Meanwhile, I'm still on hold for tech support.....
RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2008, 07:31 AM   #2
Retired Senior Member

Haven't been able to reach the tech support people at Roadmaster yet, so here's my question: how does the Evenbrake decide on when and how much braking is required? Is it a mechanical or an electrical process? My confusion arises from the "Simple Three Step Installation" claim that has become a 50-plus step novel of how to install the system in my '99 Jeep GC. Apparently, if I use a separate set of lights (mag base type) instead of the Jeep's lighting, I "MUST" install another brake switch (available from Roadmaster). Can't see a reason for this. Anyone have one of these systems that also has the time to straighten me out? Meanwhile, I'm still on hold for tech support.....
Old 10-28-2008, 07:47 AM   #3
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
I started out with the Roadmaster Evenbrake System a little over a year ago. The "novel" as you describe it, left me unimpressed with the design of both the instructions and the system. So I had a professional install mine so I knew it was right. I towed my Dodge Dakota from Montana to Las vegas where I discovered my brake pads were cooked and both front rotors were warped from the heat and had to be replaced. My truck was brand new. It turns out the brakes on the toad were being applied each time I used the exhaust brake so on long grades the brakes overheated. Upon contacting Roadmaster I was informed there are several ways to wire the system and several switches and other devices available to prevent this and it was my fault. Well guess what? I tossed out this system and installed the M&G Brake System and have had thousands of trouble free miles. I can hook up my M&G Brake system in 5 seconds and it's totally proportional,fool proof and works flawlessly. Good luck with your Roadmaster system.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:51 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I replaced my Evenbrake with the SMI Stay-in-Play DUO. Wish I had gone with the Stay-in-Play first.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:54 AM   #5
Retired Senior Member

Wish I had done more research! My concern now is whether the application of the RV brakes (or exhaust brake) sends an electrical "brake" signal to the Roadmaster, or if there is some sort of deceleration sensor that decided when to apply the toad's brakes.

The hard-install type systems that are a vehicle-specific application did not suit my intended use (transferable system, multiple toads).
Old 10-28-2008, 09:02 AM   #6
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
Ron, even if you have two toads IMHO it would behoove you to install something on the order of the M&G Brake System. The hook up is the same whether it's one toad or 10. I'm very impressed with the reliability and the ease of use with mine.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:48 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Ron,
I had one on my 06 GC and had no problem with it. I did the install and followed the instruction for hooking into the existing brake light switch for the even brake.
The box has an inertia sensor to signal the piston to push the brake pedal. One of the two selections on the box is for sensitivity to activate the even brake and the other is for how much force you want pushing on the brake pedal. I tried all combinations and used the middle one on each. I never had a brake drag problem and it did lock up the toad when I made a panic stop in city traffic.
I bought a 2008 Liberty and the box was not the best fit on the uneven floor and it had only the soft seat to push against. So. I sold it on Craigslist and then had SMI install an Air Force One at the Quartzsite RV show.
What year is your GC?

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:12 PM   #8

Re: Toad brakes coming on with engine brake.

There is a blocking diode that comes with the kit. Your installer either left it out or mis-installed it. I'd say they owe you a set of pads!!

Supposedly, on Chrysler stuff, wiring directly to the toad lighting can blow the chassis ECU (hersay).

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:12 AM   #9
Retired Senior Member

Finally got through to the Roadmaster help desk. Although the manual states in bold letters that I MUST have the optional switch, the tech said that I did not require that item on my '99 Jeep GC when using a separate lighting system.

Thanks for the suggestions and comments. Hopefully, the wireless monitoring system will warn me if I am continuously braking the toad and I will not cook my brakes on the '99 Jeep.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:57 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have one and it works without issue with both adjustments in the middle position. We just returned from a 3600 mile trip with it in our 06 CR-V. One thingthought is to make sure its level on he floor or it will affect the its braking ability.
mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 07:26 AM   #11
Retired Senior Member

Well, I lost the installation battle. I installed the system on a temporary basis (did not mount the sending units and break away system permanently) just to see how it would work with everything stationary. The main unit cycled through as it should and then gave me a "Not Operational" message with a "No brake light switch detected" error. Unless there is a way to disable that feature (I use magnetic base lights driven off the RV brake system like a trailer wiring harness), I am done messin' with this darned thing. Just put it up for sale in the classifieds and plan to take a $$ hit instead of driving myself nuts trying to follow their "Simple Three Step" (with 50-sub-steps) installation process.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:40 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ron I installed my Evenbrake three years ago - did not use the relay furnished - mounted separate brake, turn and tail lites on the Taco Pusher bed that operate off of coach lites only. I spliced the brake voltage sensor wire into the brake lite wire under the dash so the unit could read brake voltage when brake pedal is pushed for test or use. I had a little trouble getting my FRAME under the dash but I made it and it has worked flawlessly ever since. That being said it blew its brains last summer and Roadmaster replaced no questions asked. I understand and appreciate that everyone has their opinions and I appreciate that but mine has been trouble free. Hope this helps you. I have also been told that all vehicle brake lites do not work with key in off position but my brake lites are hot all the time. Good luck..................Jim
Old 11-01-2008, 10:32 AM   #13
Retired Senior Member

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by N5IIG:
I spliced the brake voltage sensor wire into the brake lite wire under the dash so the unit could read brake voltage when brake pedal is pushed for test or use. .Jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim, the brake voltage sensor wire you refer to, is that the part of the kit with the relay, two butt-splices and a fused hot wire lead?
Old 11-01-2008, 02:59 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ron on mine there is a brown wire that plugs into back of the transmitter in toad and then goes to the brake lite switch wire that goes to the brake lites on toad. It is only hot when brakes are applied. I followed the wire out of my brake lite switch to a open spot where I could test it for voltage and spliced that brown wire into it. The other two wires on back of transmitter are red and white which is hot and ground. I did not use any part of the relay at all on my install. Like I said I ran trailer kit wire from front of toad to rear and hoooked to my lites on top of bed. I could have also hooked toad lites to that circuit but chose not to. The only time my factory toad brake lites come on is when my Evenbrake activates - the other lites up top operate off of my coach brake, tail and turn. What this does is if I am lightly braking coach which will not activate Evenbrake I still have brake lites on back of toad along with turn and tail from coach. I could not make the relay work on my truck and Roadmaster agreed with me. Ron I hope I have not confused you as this is the only way I know to explain it. Being a REDNECK (Ha!!!) Well maybe you understand. Keep asking question if necessary and I will help all I can. Take care...............Jim