Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2008, 04:15 AM   #1

just thought i would pass on some experiance we have had with the koni fsd shocks. most of you monaco owners know the rr8r chassis used on diplomats, endeavers, santiams etc. handle great but tend to have a pretty harsh ride. we found a solution! koni fsd shocks. changing to these shocks made such an incredible ride difference we couldn't believe it. the ride is so smooth that any sqeaks and rattles we had are gone. we have them installed on our 2002 beaver santiam. happy motoring

beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2008, 04:15 AM   #2

just thought i would pass on some experiance we have had with the koni fsd shocks. most of you monaco owners know the rr8r chassis used on diplomats, endeavers, santiams etc. handle great but tend to have a pretty harsh ride. we found a solution! koni fsd shocks. changing to these shocks made such an incredible ride difference we couldn't believe it. the ride is so smooth that any sqeaks and rattles we had are gone. we have them installed on our 2002 beaver santiam. happy motoring

Old 01-07-2008, 07:23 AM   #3

beaverjim
I'm curious if you adjusted the ends of the shocks before you installed them. I'm asking because I put the koni fsd shocks on our motorhome (front only so far) and it did help the rebound tremendously but we still have a pretty harsh ride when we hit large bumps, bridge expansion joints. I believe that you can turn the ends of the shocks and adjust the dampning to either make them ride softer or firmer. I'm not sure about that though.
Your chasis has more air bags then ours but I sure wish I knew how to get rid of the squeaks and rattles. Haven't been able to do that yet.
Letsgoagain
Old 01-07-2008, 07:30 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Beaverjim
I want to first welcome you to the iRV2 forum! Hopefully you will ask for some "Monaco Karma" to go under your "beaverjim" name ...and join this wonderful & halfway zany group of the Monaco family! We do tend to have fun & enjoy the tales we share and solutions we find along the way!

Sacs & I have read about the Koni FSDs and plan to put them on when we do need to replace what is on the coach now...but it is always nice to get another confirmation of what we plan on doing!

Again ...welcome to iRV2 and hopefully the Monaco forum! Please visit & post here often..I look forward to reading your posts!

MM
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:52 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The FSD's are not adjustable. Koni used to make an adjustable shock and likely still does. I have the FSD's on the front of my rig and the Koni adjustables on the rear. The improvement over the stock Bilsteins was significant.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:16 PM   #6

After reading the origianal post, replying and then sitting here on a abnormally warm January Southern Indiana day with nothing to do I decided to call Koni myself to see what if anything could be done with the shocks to alleviate the harsh ride in our motorhome.
The Koni tech sevices gentleman did confirm that the FSD's aren't adjustable. My bad on that one.
Eventhough I am glad that I put the Koni's on and they have helped a great deal on rebound dampning I must say that they weren't the magic bullet I was hoping for in regards to taking the rattles and jolts out. Since these shocks aren't cheap and they just got more expensive in 2008 because of the dollar versus the euro then you might want to do your research before taking the plunge on them.
Letsgoagian
Old 01-07-2008, 06:37 PM   #7

I've read on some forums where DP owners discuss the "ride height" adjustment on the air bag suspension have some affect on the ride. Must admit though owning a gas rig I don't know much about the DP's.

Jim

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:07 AM   #8

i'm sorry letsgoagain didn't have the same luck as we did with the koni fsd's. these shocks had such a dramatic effect on our coach's ride it made our decision to keep the old and renovate instead of trading!we've started a total renovate wich will include new custom paint,3 lcd tv's all new care free awnings,tires,koni's
and last but not least will be the banks 435 kit
we should be done with the project by the 1'st of june. will post all the before and afters when finished
Old 01-08-2008, 04:24 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MonacoMama:
Sacs & I have read about the Koni FSDs and plan to put them on when we do need to replace what is on the coach now...but it is always nice to get another confirmation of what we plan on doing! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>MM,

We're going to do the same, but Ya know what kind of ticks me off? We don't even have Bilsteins - we've got Monroe shocks. Fleetwood and Winnebago put Bilstein shocks on their new coaches, so why not Monaco? The '99 Discovery we traded (with Bilstein shocks and 4 air bags) had a much better ride than the Dip.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:33 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LVJ58:
I've read on some forums where DP owners discuss the "ride height" adjustment on the air bag suspension have some affect on the ride. Must admit though owning a gas rig I don't know much about the DP's. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Jim,

Good point, and it's true. After I recently purchased a new Diplomat, I had the ride height checked. It was off on the front by less than an inch, but the improvement in ride was indeed noticable after it was adjusted.

Another factor is tire inflation. Some folks keep the pressure at the max listed on the side wall instead of following the guidelines in the tire inflation charts. That also makes the ride significantly harsher.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:43 AM   #11

LJV58 and Robin_M,
You both make good point about ride height and tire air pressure.
Here is what I have learned and experienced
When I brought the motorhome from the lot the dealer had put 115psi in each tire. Now that was a rough ride. Some people including dealers do indeed think they need to air it up to max or close to it.
Of course I weighed the coach loaded and then adjusted the tire pressures according the the chart in my owner's manual. I now run 95psi in the front tires and 100psi in the backs.
I also talked to Monaco about the ride height because when I measured it there was a difference from what the manual stated. After that discussion I found out that the manual was incorrect and my actual heights were very close to what Monaco said they should be. The manual's are wrong sometimes or have been amended. I now regularly check the HR site for manual addendums.
At that point I bought the Koni's and installed them. AS I mentioned in a earlier post I'm not unhappy with the Koni's but maybe a little dissapointed that they didn't eliminate the harshness. I'm still looking to improve the ride but this coach with only 4 air bags may be as good as its going to get.
I am happy that some of you have improved your ride quality because I know it can be irritating to feel and hear bumps in the road when you've spent a considerable amount of money on these houses on wheels.
Letsgoagain