Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-12-2015, 09:03 AM   #1
Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Roadmaster Spare Tire Carrier

Saw this in MotorHome magazine and am thinking about it for Christmas (doesn't everyone get a present for the RV?). It would certainly free up space in our rear storage compartment. However, I am concerned about how likely it might be for an externally mounted spare tire to be stolen. Anyone have experience with this gadget?

2014 Newmar Bay Star 3308
Patti Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2015, 10:10 AM   #2
I believe the system has a security feature. However before making an investment I would check the clearance between your furnace exhaust and the spare tire.

Several years ago we purchased a Roadmaster Guardian rock guard and stinger mounted storage bracket. What we didn't realize was that when the rock guard was in the stored position it was extremely close to the furnace exhaust.

The first time we used the furnace with the shield in the stored position the heat from the exhaust started to melt the guard. We quickly removed the guard and repositioned it. In our case the guard sustained only minor damage. Had we not caught it as quickly as we did it could have been destroyed or worse.

If you have a rear facing furnace exhaust be sure there's sufficient clearance to avoid damage.

2013 Adventurer 32H
Hikerdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 11:57 AM   #3
I've had mine mounted for a year with no issues. I suppose you could cable lock your spare, but I can't imagine someone being able to let the wheel down without the rod, have a wrench big enough to unbolt the wheel from the carrier, then carry it off.

I also was concerned about the rear venting furnace, but so far no problem there either. Though we have not spent a lot of time with propane furnace running, I have not really noticed any issues with the tire getting to hot.

Hope this is helpful.
Tom and Gloria
2007 Itasca Suncruiser 35A, TOAD: 2015 GMC Canyon, Blue Ox Towbar, Baseplate and SMI Stay N Play
TomandGloria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 04:51 PM   #4
Nice gizmo but a bit pricey. If they could price this down to a few hundred, they might start selling more of them.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 04:33 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
wouldn't work on our pusher as the mfg says nothing behind the radiator that would block airflow :(
If you really are sad and think nobody cares, just try missing a few payments ! '11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a Demco Excali-Bar II hitch which is pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport.
JohnBoyToo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 11:07 PM   #6
Originally Posted by Patti Brown View Post
Saw this in MotorHome magazine and am thinking about it for Christmas (doesn't everyone get a present for the RV?). It would certainly free up space in our rear storage compartment. However, I am concerned about how likely it might be for an externally mounted spare tire to be stolen. Anyone have experience with this gadget?
Patti Brown,
First off, I applaud you for even thinking about carrying a spare. The stories of delayed responses of Emergency services when blowouts occur are abound on here and other RV forums. They don't happen each and every time, but, they do happen. And, in some cases, the WRONG tire is brought with the provider.

So, carrying a spare is a great idea. Just where to carry it, well that's been debated on here for ever too. I looked at that spare tire carrier in that magazine too and, I think it's a fairly good idea. As for the worry about that spare being stolen, are you kidding me? Get a Navy anchor chain if your worried about it. But, seriously, any quality cable or nice piece of chain with a quality lock will suffice perfectly. Not to mention, I don't know what size wheels and tires you have but, ours are either alloy or steel, depending on an outer or inner. The outer ones are close to 130 lbs an the inner steel ones hover close to 160 lbs. So, I really don't see anyone "running" off with that kind of weight. Now, if you're talking just the tire, yes, that's quite a bit less in weight but, it's still a heavy piece of equipment to go running off with in the middle of the night.

And as for the worry about mounting it on the rear of a diesel pusher, we carried our Honda Goldwing on a Hydralift for well over 8,000 miles on our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT with the rear radiator and not one issue EVER came up. That engine ran and cooled just fine. The bike got a bit warm but, never enough to cause damage or even close.

I think it's a very plausible idea. One thing I'd do if it were mine, I'd definitely make or purchase a nice vinyl cover for that spare. Keep it out of the elements for as long as possible so it will be of value to you if and when you just might need it. Good luck.
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 11:33 PM   #7

Your Diplomat 42 has a rear radiator?

wouldn't work on our pusher as the mfg says nothing behind the radiator that would block airflow :("

I don't think it would matter what a person carried on the back if he had a side-mounted radiator.

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is online now   Reply With Quote