Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2010, 05:08 AM   #1

Roadside Assistance (just the RV not the Owner?)

I was thinking about lending and/or renting out my motorhome. I'd like to get some Roadside Assistance Coverage for it, but I can't seem to find a company that covers just the RV and not just the actual owner. The Driver isnt always going to be me?

Any company suggestions? Thx alot
BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2010, 04:39 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi BadBoy,
Welcome to iRV2. For your first post, you ask a really good question. I'll be watching this thread.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:16 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome. I certainly don't have first hand knowledge on this topic but I'd sure suspect that the "renting it out" thing is going to really be a problem with any standard MH policy. If I were an insurance company I wouldn't insure a rental for the same price as a private coach.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:55 AM   #4

Yeah, thats why I was hinking more the lending with a "heavy security deposit" to friends and family. I am allowed to lend it to friends on my policy.

I'm sure they could just go out and get their own policy but it would be nice to get one that covers just the RV. My other vehicles are newer and I wouldnt need coverage on them too.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:37 AM   #5

Here is some info.

I've never done this but there is a local place here that rents out people's RVs for them. When calling to rent they have you check with your own auto insurance carrier to see if it covers RVs. If not they have you get a policy from this place.

MBA RV RENTAL INSURANCE

This is from the local place's FAQ page.
Q: Besides the basic rental cost, are there any other charges I will incur?
A: Insurance is required for all RV rentals. We encourage you to check with your personal insurance provider to see if they will write a binder for our rental unit. If so, they will usually charge only a nominal fee. If they are unable to provide a binder, then you can purchase one through the internet through our RV Rental Insurance carrier (MBA) for $17/night or for larger units it is $28/night.

Here is another of the FAQ that may be helpful. I think that it indicates that the roadside assistance goes with the owner, not the RV.
Q: What happens if I have a breakdown on the road?
A: You must provide your own roadside assistance through your own company such as AAA. If you cannot provide your own we can direct you as to purchase Good Sam's Roadside for one year membership for $99/year. We are no longer offering Roadside Assistance.You may call us and we will try to assist you to get help.

And finally an idea on deposits. Here is what they charge:
Reservation/Damage Deposits

A reservation/damage deposit is required from $850 and higher in order to reserve your rental. In some cases deposit may be higher due to length of rental and cost of rental.
Grand Hotel deposit is $1500.
You must have a current drivers license, be 25 years old and a good driving record.
Once you return the RV in the same condition as rental left (coach filled with propane & gas & undamaged) your full deposit will be returned up to 10 business days after the end of your rental. 95% of our renters get 100% of their deposits back.

The cleaning fee will be additional $175 for RV’s, which includes sanitation fee. For the Grand Hotel the cleaning fee is $225. These cleaning fees are for 4 hours of cleaning only. If additional cleaning is needed then it will be charged at a rate of $60/hour.
I included the additional info on cleaning costs as you may want to think about the cost to you if you have to take is somewhere to have the professional cleaning done. You may want to let them know in advance the cost.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!
Michelle
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:09 PM   #6

Thats awesome thanks very much! Yeah, my insurance will cover a friend or family member borrowing my RV. It seems they may need to get their own roadside coverage though.

Essentially my plan was to only rent umm lend it to people I know very well and know to be good drivers and trustworthy people. I'm sure their "monetary contribution" to the upkeep of my RV would be in the area of 1/2 the price the actual RV Rental places charge.

I have no interest in lending my RV to just anyone. There are risks but I figure if I lend it/rent it 16 times its paid for.

I seem to have alot of interest among friends and coworkers thus far. Who knows, maybe I will convert some campers to Motorhome owners.

Any feedback and suggestions are ALWAYS welcome..thx again