Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2016, 10:52 AM   #1

Roadside assistance plan from Good Sam stinks

Good Sam Roadside Assistance – BEWARE

1st experience tells me I made a very bad choice.

After years with other roadside assistance programs and no cost of towing problems, I balked at the renewal price increase Coach-Net and switched to Bad Sam Roadside Assistance. What a mistake!!

First experience with my toad not starting and I called to have it towed to my repair facility. Good Sam will only cover towing to the repair facility closest to your current location. In this case, a major brand tire dealer whom I have had unpleasant dealings with in the past and frankly, I wouldn't let them work on my bicycle, much less my car.

When I asked that it be towed to the repair facility in town that I have used for over 25 years, reply was I would be charged for anything over the distance to THEIR CAPABLE (what a joke) facility closest to my house. Additional charge at $4 a mile. Credit card please. “I'll pay the towing service directly”, I said. Ok, their charge will be $5.50 per mile. Now that I made that decision, the system will not revert back to their $4. Fine, now that I know the rules, cancel the service and I'll go back and start over. Can’t do that as once you have cancelled, you are no longer covered for this incident. The towing to my preferred facility (5 ½ miles) has never been a question with other roadside assistance programs. They tow to your facility……not their’s. At least that has been my experience in getting my vehicle to a trustworthy repair facility within a few miles of the closest on Bad Sam’s list.

So, I asked what the policy was on motorhome towing for repair. Again, they only tow to their listed repair facility. You pay for anything over that. And once again, they decide who is competent and capable of fixing your problem. Doesn't matter if their facility can't look at it for a month…..that is where they are towing it. As the snippy young “supervisor” said, “Getting it to our approved, capable repair facility is all we are responsible for”. Period, end of conversation. Imagine the consequences of getting your motorhome towed to an incompetent repair facility while being on the road. Once they drop you off the hook at their place, you are on your own.

This happened to me with my previous motorhome/boat in tow several years ago. What ultimately should have been a 2 hour max diagnosis and coil replacement, turned into 4 days and a thousand dollar plus adventure in “throwing parts at it”. An experience I will never forget. But it is a lesson in what can happen when you breakdown and deal with an “I am your only choice” incompetent mechanic.

So, buyer beware. It is the typical nickel and dime you policies that Bad Sam has become so famous for…..I should have known better. I somehow think a policy cancellation lies ahead and a different roadside assistance plan is in my future.

Don't make the same mistake I made.
Planocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2016, 11:07 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Are you aware that GS has a forum where you can post your problems and they will contact you to try and resolve your problems with them? I hesitate to list a competitive forum's address here, so if you need the address, please send me a private msg and I'll provided it for you.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:19 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
OP, You must think bicycles are easy to work on.
milasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planocat View Post

After years with other roadside assistance programs and no cost of towing problems, I balked at the renewal price increase Coach-Net and switched to Bad Sam Roadside Assistance. What a mistake!!

First experience with my toad not starting and I called to have it towed to my repair facility. Good Sam will only cover towing to the repair facility closest to your current location. In this case, a major brand tire dealer whom I have had unpleasant dealings with in the past and frankly, I wouldn't let them work on my bicycle, much less my car.

When I asked that it be towed to the repair facility in town that I have used for over 25 years, reply was I would be charged for anything over the distance to THEIR CAPABLE (what a joke) facility closest to my house. Additional charge at $4 a mile. Credit card please. “I'll pay the towing service directly”, I said. Ok, their charge will be $5.50 per mile. Now that I made that decision, the system will not revert back to their $4. Fine, now that I know the rules, cancel the service and I'll go back and start over. Can’t do that as once you have cancelled, you are no longer covered for this incident. The towing to my preferred facility (5 ½ miles) has never been a question with other roadside assistance programs. They tow to your facility……not their’s. At least that has been my experience in getting my vehicle to a trustworthy repair facility within a few miles of the closest on Bad Sam’s list.

So, I asked what the policy was on motorhome towing for repair. Again, they only tow to their listed repair facility. You pay for anything over that. And once again, they decide who is competent and capable of fixing your problem. Doesn't matter if their facility can't look at it for a month…..that is where they are towing it. As the snippy young “supervisor” said, “Getting it to our approved, capable repair facility is all we are responsible for”. Period, end of conversation. Imagine the consequences of getting your motorhome towed to an incompetent repair facility while being on the road. Once they drop you off the hook at their place, you are on your own.

This happened to me with my previous motorhome/boat in tow several years ago. What ultimately should have been a 2 hour max diagnosis and coil replacement, turned into 4 days and a thousand dollar plus adventure in “throwing parts at it”. An experience I will never forget. But it is a lesson in what can happen when you breakdown and deal with an “I am your only choice” incompetent mechanic.

So, buyer beware. It is the typical nickel and dime you policies that Bad Sam has become so famous for…..I should have known better. I somehow think a policy cancellation lies ahead and a different roadside assistance plan is in my future.

sorry for your trouble. quoting from the Coach Net web site under Unlimited Towing..."No mileage or dollar amount limits – no out of pocket expense when towing your disabled vehicle to the nearest qualified repair facility."

sounds pretty much like what the OP experienced with GS. maybe I'm missing the point.

I don't work for GS but we've had their road service for the past 30-years, used it maybe 6-8 times and have been satisfied(which is why we keep renewing). I'm not saying GS or CN are "better" since "better" is a relative term and subject to the user's definition.

the advice I give to newbies is to get a road service but first read, compare and understand the benefits of each rather than just going with whatever the majority of responders recommend. this will keep unpleasant surprises to a minimum. reviews are an important factor but should not be the only factor in choosing a road service. and keep in mind that people who are satisfied with their road service rarely post praise while those with problems nearly always post.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:49 AM   #5

Seems to be quite common verbiage. When I had to have my Hurricane towed a few years ago the progressive rep stated they would tow it to the closest but I wanted it towed to my regular service center. I had to pay the extra mileage.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 02:58 PM   #6

I want to draw a line in the sand on your complaint about GOOD SAM. I had to use them to tow my toad (Smart Car) on a Sunday early morning. They arrive within 45 minutes and towed me to the nearest dealer which was about 30 miles away. That dealer diagnosed my problems and said that no one but a Mercedes dealer could do the repair and that I would have to get the car towed 120 miles from where I was. I again called Good Sam and told them my situation. They had a tow truck on site within the hour and towed my car past the fist Mercedes dealer that did not have time to work on my car to the second one (some 25 extra miles). The tow truck driver arranged to drop my car off at the early drop off spot at the dealership. I cannot over state how GREAT Good Sams roadside assistance program has worked for me. However, don't get me started on the service of Camping World!
stevechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 03:46 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I have had both and used both on my toad. First had GS. Jeep locked in gear at a gas station. I was blocking a pump and told the rep that. He sent a junker tow truck, independent whose truck looked like it was going to fall apart. I called GS back and told them I needed a truck with a bed not a hook. The tow guy said I can haul it like it is on my hook. No way! GS said it might be an hour before I could see another tow truck. Well ok, I sure didn't want to buy a new transmission since guy#1 had no clue how to do anything but attach his hook-notice the word hook!

Three hours later here comes a decent tow guy and hauled it to the dealer in town. Simple pin replaced and I was good to go.

Then I changed to CN. This time it was my Chevy truck. No start even when jumping. Checked everything I could think of then called CN. The difference was that CN called me back every 45 min. they obviously called other tow services. This time the wait was again 3 hours - geez in this heat! Three different tow trucks showed up within minutes of each other! The first was the third service called, said he got the call and picked me up within 30 min of the call. He was good. He made short work of it and got me to the dealer. Wiring problem fixed and off I went.

So both have some shortfalls but at least CN called me regularly and called other tow services to get me taken care of. I guess I will be staying with them.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 04:13 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Have had both over the years and have had good service from both. I like CN a bit better than GS. CN Has better follow up after the initial call.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 04:22 PM   #9

My guess is that all towing insurance companies do not contract nation wide with individual towing companies. The insuring company probably buys into an established network of towing companies that have agreed to a pre defined contract.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 04:43 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
The Hartford RV insurance covers unlimited RV towing and roadside assistance. Why would I want/need to take 3rd party coverage (GS/CN) to pay for what we already have..!
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 04:49 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planocat View Post

Well I got to asks, did you read the contract went you sign up with them. If so, what part of the agreement did they violate?
Old 07-18-2016, 04:50 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
The Hartford RV insurance covers unlimited RV towing and roadside assistance. Why would I want/need to take 3rd party coverage (GS/CN) to pay for what we already have..!
I didnt see where anyone said that you should want/need third party coverage.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:50 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
No clue why you would if they provide good service. Not sure I get the point of your question.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 04:59 PM   #14

Quote:
well, when you need service can you call Hartford anytime....say 2am on Christmas Day...and have them dispatch help to you? or do you have to find your own service provider, pay out of pocket and then submit bills for reimbursement? if yes to the former thdm no, you don't need GS or CN.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote