Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2013, 07:59 AM   #1

Roadside Assistance Policies

I have seen a number of threads about Roadside Assistance Policies and want to relay my recent experience. We were traveling through Dallas last month when i got a "Stop Engine Light" we took the next exit and pulled into a strip mall and called a Cummins Service Center. Bottom line, I needed to get the DP to Cummins and a computer. I have Good SAMs policy so I called them for towing. It took a while to get the wrecker to my location, but it is a Dutch Star 4320 and has a 16,000 pound front axle weight, so not every wrecker will do that.

The wrecker driver did his job,but my wife had the good judgement to take "before pictures" with her iPhone before hookup. I discussed exiting the parking lot with the driver, as the terrain was not all that great, with there being a low point at the exit. The wrecker was clearly maxed out with the load and should probably been a triple axle rig rather than dual but that is another story.

The Cummins shop quickly fixed the problem, but the mudflap was destroyed and the front fiberglass was damaged by the wrecker boom. I contacted Good SAMs customer service the next day and they initiated a claim with their contractor "Allstate". Allstate did a good job for us and the before and after photos helped with the claim. Both Good SAMs and their dispatch contractor remained regular contact with us during the entire process and were easy to work with. There was in excess of $3,000 worth of damage, so it was not a real large claim but large enough to need documentation. The photos really helped.

I received a call from the wrecker company Friday and received a check yesterday for the full amount.

I do not hesitate to recommend Good SAMs as this went well. I have used them twice previously with toad towing and that went well also.

Lessons Learned:
-do some research and know where you want to be towed before calling for service and pre-coordinate with that shop.
-most motor homes will require that the driveshaft be removed prior to towing. Settle that with the wrecker operator before hookup. I saved a couple hundred bucks, as that is what Cummins would have charged to reinstall the shaft. The wrecker operator was not all that enthused by that, but that was the deal.
-Take plenty of before photos of the RV as well as the wrecker and hook up.
-If you have a toad, follow the wrecker, as he had to make an emergency stop on the interstate, and that is what likely damaged the front of the motorhome. He locked up his brakes stopping for a large maintenance platform dropped on the highway.
Whatever that policy cost, it was worth it this year.

vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2013, 08:24 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vraines View Post
-most motor homes will require that the driveshaft be removed prior to towing. Settle that with the wrecker operator before hookup. I saved a couple hundred bucks, as that is what Cummins would have charged to reinstall the shaft. The wrecker operator was not all that enthused by that, but that was the deal?
vraines
Excellent information!
I have one question about the above quote in your post.
Can you please explain the "deal" that you settled with the wrecker operator, saving a couple hundred bucks, and what/why he was not enthused.
Thanks
Mel
'96 Sahara, w/CoachNet ERS

Old 05-21-2013, 08:59 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I'm glad it wasn't anything serious and that you're happy with the service you received from Good Sam.

However, I'm afraid I have higher expectations and look to Coach Net to:

1) send the right rig along with a competent driver who won't damage my coach.

2) re install the drive shaft that he removed.

3) find the proper shop for the rig to be towed to

4) do all of the coordinating between the shop and the tow driver.

JMHO.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:11 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
My bet is on, if you called Coach Net they probably would have sent the same service provider and driver in that same area.

Service providers do work for more then one ERS. And may be the only one for a lot of miles.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:25 PM   #5

The deal I struck was if he removed, he would reinstall it. His first response was to say that he was not certified to install driveshafts. I explained that I wanted to be sure that all the parts were present and the best way for that was for him to reinstall. He agreed.

Good Sam will find a service provider as part of their service, but they will typically use the closest one and that may or may not be the best one. Cummins in Dallas has an evening shift, which some garages do not, and they were able to turn me around in a couple of hours. I arrived at 5:00 pm so that was important. They also had the part in stock and that helped getting it done quickly. I think that Good SAMs might have found a service center a little closer, but probably not much different. They towed me about 30 miles. It only took me about 10 minutes to coordinate with Cummins, and I'll bet that most other service centers would have waited until the next morning to do business. I let my fingers do the walking rather than some one else doing it. Worked for me.

Coolant level sensor failed. Expensive, but necessary.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vraines View Post
The deal I struck was if he removed, he would reinstall it. His first response was to say that he was not certified to install driveshafts. I explained that I wanted to be sure that all the parts were present and the best way for that was for him to reinstall. He agreed.

Good Sam will find a service provider as part of their service, but they will typically use the closest one and that may or may not be the best one. Cummins in Dallas has an evening shift, which some garages do not, and they were able to turn me around in a couple of hours. I arrived at 5:00 pm so that was important. They also had the part in stock and that helped getting it done quickly. I think that Good SAMs might have found a service center a little closer, but probably not much different. They towed me about 30 miles. It only took me about 10 minutes to coordinate with Cummins, and I'll bet that most other service centers would have waited until the next morning to do business. I let my fingers do the walking rather than some one else doing it. Worked for me.

Coolant level sensor failed. Expensive, but necessary.
Thank you.

Whichever EMS you have, I suggest you let your fingers do the walking........make some phone calls and verify the capabilities of the shop they want to deliver your coach to.

Three years ago I thought I needed a tow, (my Cat engine was surging). I called MacAlister Cat in Indianapolis, IN. and found that they where open 24 hrs.
I called CoachNet but they REFUSED to tow me the 70 miles to Indianapolis because the nearest shop on "their list" was Altorfer Cat in Urban IL, (44 miles from me).
Luckily, before authorizing the tow I phoned the shop in Urbana, IL. (the phone was answered in their Bloomington, IL shop).
They told me they DID NOT DO RV WORK in their Urbana shop and I would have to be towed the additional 50+ miles to their Bloomington IL facility, (85 miles total).
I called CoachNet again, and although I explained the situation to them, they said that they would ONLY tow my coach to Alorfer Cat in Urbana, IL. because it was "NEAREST FACILITY ON THEIR LIST CAPABLE OF WORKING ON MY COACH".

I CANCELED the tow and limped my coach the 70 miles to MacAllister Cat in Indianapolis for diagnostics and the replacement of a sensor.

Mel
'96 Safari