Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2005, 03:25 PM   #1

We have a 2000 34-ft. National Sea View on a Ford chassis. Our problem is that it rocks from side to side. It has 45,000 miles. I have replaced the front shocks with Monroe RV shocks about 15,000 miles ago. New Bilstein's 1,000 miles ago, as well as a new set of Michelein 19.5 RV tires.
A friend of mine just had a Steer-Safe installed and thought that might help, but I don't have a problem with the steering. Any suggestions would certainly be appreciated if anyone has had any similar problem with a Ford chassis. Thank you.

Ragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2005, 03:25 PM   #2

We have a 2000 34-ft. National Sea View on a Ford chassis. Our problem is that it rocks from side to side. It has 45,000 miles. I have replaced the front shocks with Monroe RV shocks about 15,000 miles ago. New Bilstein's 1,000 miles ago, as well as a new set of Michelein 19.5 RV tires.
A friend of mine just had a Steer-Safe installed and thought that might help, but I don't have a problem with the steering. Any suggestions would certainly be appreciated if anyone has had any similar problem with a Ford chassis. Thank you.

Old 12-02-2005, 03:29 PM   #3

Forgot to mention .... I replaced the rear Ford shocks with the Bilsteins 1,000 miles ago. I thought that would be a big help, but it didn't seem to help much.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:45 PM   #4
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Ragman,

I think your are describing a sway condition?If your coach was in my shop we would first install an auxillary rear sway bar & then maybe trade the Bilstein's out for Koni's.Also I have seen the rear factory sway bar mounts break so you may want to check them out.Hope this helps.

Mike
Old 12-03-2005, 05:26 AM   #5

This sounds like our coach before we replaced the shocks with Monroes'and most important "sway bar bushings"

Ford sells a kit with new connecting rods, bushings and hardware that took the swing and sway out of our old 92.

It was very bad when we passed oncoming semi trucks. Now we breeze past with only a slight ripple.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:56 AM   #6

Does anyone know who sells Koni shocks and where is the best place to buy them? What price range are they?
Wagonmaster2
Old 12-03-2005, 03:03 PM   #7
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Brazels RV sells Koni's
BrazelsRV
Old 12-03-2005, 06:37 PM   #8

Jayco Owners Club
Koni web site

Go to dealer locator.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 07:49 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Changing shocks is NOT a solution for a rocking or swaying motorhome. Shocks are there to control the rebound of the suspension rather than to prevent body sway.

You probably need stronger sway bars, but first check the condition of the bushings on the existing bar, as Gordon23 suggests. If this is a problem that has grown over the past years, then it is likely your existng anti-sway system simply needs rejuvenation. However, if you have always had a sway p[roblem with this coach, you need a stiffer sway bar than the original one. A rear track bar may also help, depending on just what sort of motion you are getting and under what conditions.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 12:20 PM   #10
Official iRV2 Sponsor

The correct shocks are DEFINATELY a way to control sway,Koni's installed on a Ford or Workhorse coach are going to eliminate 60-75% of sway guaranteed.I'm not saying that an auxillary sway bar wont help,but you'll get more bang for your dollar from the Koni's.Like I said "money back guarantee"!

Mike
Old 12-05-2005, 05:23 AM   #11

Thanks guys (& girls). I appreciate all the info. We did not have this problem for a long time. I figured changing out the rear Ford shocks with Bilsteins would help. I also checked the rear stabilizer bar and the bushings look good. I'm not a mechanic, but old cars have been my hobby all my life, so I'm pretty versed on mechanical problems. Yes, I do think shocks have something to do with controlling the rocking, but just didn't want to throw money into it to try different stuff. Thanks again.

P.S. I really dislike the Michelein tires. (This is another story.) Camping World told me they had Goodyear 670s; ordered them, but when I got there they only had Micheleins.@#$%*!!
Old 12-05-2005, 05:38 AM   #12

Out of curiosity, what is it about the Michelins' that you don't like.

I drive on them and in some cases have taken brand new tires off 4 wheelers to mount Michelins, with marked improvement in handling.

My only complaint such as it is, they are harder rubber than most and tend to be slippery on snow.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:20 AM   #13

We also have a 2000 34ft Sea View. We had the rocking problem which drove me, the wife, crazy. Go around a curve, over a bump, etc. and I felt like I was in a rocking chair only going sideways instead. After a two month trip around the country we came back and put air bags on all four. Now our rig recovers after just a couple 'rocks'. We had replace the shocks, put stablizers and the rest on but the air bags did the trick.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ragman:
We have a 2000 34-ft. National Sea View on a Ford chassis. Our problem is that it rocks from side to side. It has 45,000 miles. <<

2000 Sea View 34' Ford V10
rvgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 06:32 PM   #14

I am realitively new to RVing and have gleaned a lot of information from this forum. Thanks for all of your help and I hope you can help me with a specific problem.

I have a 1998 Adventurer WCG35WP with a slide that I bought about 6 months ago. I have a lot of sway and rocking. After a 4 hour day of driving I am whipped due to the constant steering corrections that have to be made.

The previous owner installed Safe-T-Plus steering control, Davis Tru Trac Bar, New Michelin tires and Blistein shock within the last 2 years in an attempt to correct the problem. With all of that it still sways a lot.

One of you guys suggested to another member to look at the rear stabilizer bar bushings. I did that today and they have slipped out of the housing. I plan to replace all of the rubber on the rear stabilizer bar next week.

My question is: If that doesn't fix my sway problem should I next go for a Supersteer Rear Trac Bar or Super Duty Air Springs?

Thanks in advance for your help.

MERRY CHRISTMAS