Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2012, 02:25 PM   #1

Unhappy Roof A/C

I tailgate for football games in parking lots and my roof A/C's do a great job, but when we head home they are not as cool underway on the highway. Any ideas, is this normal? The reason I am using my roof air versus dash air, is that my dash air is not currently working, having it looked at tomorrow.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2012, 02:30 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
The air rushing past the cover creates a 'vacuum' (for lack of better term), thus less air through the AC and coils..

Old 09-26-2012, 03:47 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. Is there a company that makes something to block the wind, but not cover the a/c unit, so that while underway it can cool better?
Old 09-26-2012, 03:58 PM   #4

Before you assume that the A/C units are actually cooling less on the road, I would suggest measuring the duct temperatures directly at the output of the units with a cheap indoor-outdoor digital thermometer. You may just have more heat being added to the MH by the engine, exhaust, etc. Also possible that when moving, air is being pulled out of the MH and being replaced by hot air. During the check of the dash A/C, have them confirm that the fresh/recirculate system of the dash heat-A/C system is working properly.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:19 PM   #5

When traveling you have a lot of heat attacking your MH. We set our front air at 67degrees and the bedroom at 66degrees the middle one at 70degrees and this works very good for us. Also close ALL blinds to keep the sun from heating the inside. We have learned from experience not to wait too long to turn the AC's on! We also run the fan in the dash to circulate the cool air since we never use the dash air.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:32 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
When traveling you have a lot of heat attacking your MH. We set our front air at 67degrees and the bedroom at 66degrees the middle one at 70degrees and this works very good for us. Also close ALL blinds to keep the sun from heating the inside. We have learned from experience not to wait too long to turn the AC's on! We also run the fan in the dash to circulate the cool air since we never use the dash air.
x2

Gasser here: I found that traveling in extreme heat, especially when going up hills, higher rpms, etc, the whole front of the coach heats up (not to mention of course the huge amount of heat radiating from the front glass and windows) from the engine heat, the engine cover inside radiates heat, also I had my shoes off once and the floor under the seats and around the pedals also is radiating lots of heat. Arriving at 3 or 4 in the afternoon, it takes 3 or 4 hours to cool down from all that heat, tires, transmission, chassis, engine, etc so that the coach is finally just dealing with ambient air temperature heat.

Dear cousin put a box fan about mid ship and wedged it in between the dinette and the sofa, blowing air up front and that did help tremendously, lowered temps up front from the mid to upper 80's down into the high 70's while traveling.

Eventually though, I had to wind up and turn on the dash a/c in the 105-110 afternoon heat while traveling.....just too much heat attacking from too many areas for the coach A/C to keep up.

Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof