Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2009, 03:20 PM   #1

Our motor home has two Duo-Therm Penguin model 630515 roof top air conditioner with heat pump & Comfort Control Center thermostat. Both units do the same thing. That is: in AC mode the fan comes on (I use the low setting), then the compressor starts and in a few minutes, about 2, the compressor kicks off and the fan goes into the high speed setting. In a short time the fan speed returns to low and in a couple of minutes or so the compressor restarts and the cycle repeats its self. After a few cycles they start to work just fine. I have written to Dometic asking if this is normal. Their response was to take to the shop! My question is; is this normal operation and if not is there a fix?

Echo & Peach our Shih Tzus
Dick Osterhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2009, 01:04 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Dick, the first question I have is the room temperature satisfied when the compressor cycles off? Some more info would also be helpful. What year, make and model coach do you have? Has any air cond. of furnace work been done on it? Have you tried resetting the T'stat?

06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 05:44 AM   #3

Dick, you should take it to a shop. We have those same Duo-therm units and they come with a 3 year warranty. The fix may not be on your nickel if you hurry.
DonnaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:40 AM   #4

Sorry that I did not give enough information. No, the room temperature is nowhere near being satisfied. The coach is a 2002 37 foot Allergo Bus which we purchased used in May of 2008 (motor home number 8 since 1972 and Allegro number 5!). It came with a complete history of all work and maintenance done on the coach. No furnace or AC work has been done. I removed the Comfort Control Center and replaced it with a CCC from another coach with the same system which did not have my problem. No fix! I reinstalled my CCC. And yes, I have reset the t'stat. I have checked and rechecked the wiring from one end to the other. By the way, I am a retired maintenance engineer from a large chemical company. My job is best described as "failure detective" 'Why did it fail and what can be done to prevent future failure?'

Old 02-08-2009, 02:20 PM   #5

Have you reset your Comfort Control thermostat?

If not remove cover pull fuse without touching anything - buttons, etc wait 5 minutes and reinstall again no pressure on any buttons let unit communicate 2 minute and set Temp see if that helps

Davie Fla
Hyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:31 PM   #6

Thanks for the response Hyall. Resetting the CCC is one of the first things I tried.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:02 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Dick, have you tried cleaning the data cable connections at the T'stat and the roof units? If this does not correct the problem, then you have one of two possibilities. Either the T'stat is going bad or the control board in the roof unit is.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:56 AM   #8

Thanks RV Wizard. I replaced the data cable connectors, cleaned the board connections, etc. Used a CCC from another MH that did not have my problem. Both roof units are doing the same thing so I have a hard time believing the roof unit boards could be bad. However, I will check the boards, just in case something may have fried them.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:52 PM   #9
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Dick, the only common thing to your type equipment is the thermostat, and the furnace. Now I don't see how the furnace could be causing this, but the set point for it to come on is controlled by the thermostat. If the cycling you are experiencing is when you are in Heat Pump mode, then it could be the furnace. In Air Conditioning mode, don't see how that would be.

Oh yes, there are two other common items. Those are the room temprature sensors. You should have one up front and one in the rear. Each should be connected to the air unit nearest to it. As there are two of they, they would both have to have the same fault to cause your problem.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:25 PM   #10

Hi, Rex! The system only acts up in the air conditioning mode. So far, it's a big mystery but it will eventually be solved. There are 2 temperature sensors, on in the CCC which is up front and one in the bedroom. I really don't care what the front AC does. When we are trying to sleep the switching from low fan to high fan really is quite annoying--keeps us awake. Both units do the same cycle thing, though.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:27 PM   #11

AC problem not resolved!

Took unit to authorized repair station and after two days and every thing checked and rechecked(did things that I had already done!) No fix and not a clue as to what is causing the problem! Typical results from an "authorized repair station". Which I why I don't like to take my unit to someone else to get it fixed. Tech could not even tell me if was or was not supposed to act as it does!