Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2010, 03:43 PM   #1

Roof Caulking

I noticed a few minor cracks in the caulking on my roof so today I touched them up. Just curious how often this needs to be done if only putting around 3k miles on the coach a year.

Not a big deal to me as it was a fairly simple job. It does remind me of wanting a fiberglass roof someday.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2010, 03:58 PM   #2

I think it's a matter of how and where the coach spends most of it's time rather than the number of miles it's driven. Our 01 Adventurer has been inspected every year and not until 2009 did it need some caulking replaced. Even then it was only about 3'.

If the coach spends the majority of it's time in the sun and rain the caulking will deteriorate much faster than if it's covered or stored in a garage. While indoor storage is expensive compared to outdoor it has saved quite a few dollars in roof and sidewall maintenance, premature tire sidewall cracking, and deterioration of the finish (not to mention when it's out of sight there's less chance of theft or vandalism).
Old 03-28-2010, 05:35 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Abnmarine,
Instead of thinking "caulk", consider EternaBond. I put EternaBond on all my roof seams 2 years ago. The roof now gets cleaned once a year and the EternaBond is inspected. I have never has to do anything to the EternaBond. It is suppose to last 10+ years.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:34 PM   #4

Gary,
I noticed a tape like putty over all of my seams. It looks like it's been there for awhile. There were some cracks in this so I used RV cauking to fill the cracks. Hopefully I did it correctly. I haven't had any leaks but wanted to stay ahead of this.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:49 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just did all of my perimeter seams with Eterna Bond tape. I removed the loose caulking down the side seams as it had virtually failed although I had no leaks. I knocked off the high spots and excess goop on the front and back cap seams and taped over what was left. Not only does this stuff work but it improved the appearance of the roof 100%. I'm getting more of it to redo all of the vents, air conditioner and skylight seams.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:43 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
You'll still have to keep a close eye on the caulk of a fiberglass roof.....
MuckSavage is offline   Reply With Quote