Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2008, 04:48 AM   #1

I HAVE A 97 MONTEREY AND THE ROOF IS SENDING WHITE STREAKS DOWN THE WINDOWS WHEN PARKED OVERNIGHT OUTSIDE .WHAT IS A GOOD REPAIR FOR THIS PROBLEM?
PLYMOUTH1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2008, 04:48 AM   #2

I HAVE A 97 MONTEREY AND THE ROOF IS SENDING WHITE STREAKS DOWN THE WINDOWS WHEN PARKED OVERNIGHT OUTSIDE .WHAT IS A GOOD REPAIR FOR THIS PROBLEM?
PLYMOUTH1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 05:08 AM   #3
doc

Appalachian Campers
YOU COULD TRY WASHING IT WITH SPIC AND SPAN OR SOMETHING LIKE BLUE CORAL FROM WALMART. IT WILL CONTINUE TO DO THIS AS LONG AS IT SITS IN THE RAIN.
*why are we shouting?*
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 05:48 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">*why are we shouting?* </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please turn your caps lock off.

Thanks.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 08:24 AM   #5

I'm afraid there is no repair. Certain kinds of materials used in making roof coverings will cause this continually. You can lessen the problem by keeping the roof clean. Depending on the weather in your area, you might need to climb up on your roof as often as once a month and use a mild cleaner like Spic and Span to clean of the residue that forms on the roof.
Other than that, use white vinegar and ammonia to clean off the streaks that will always be with you.
Sorry!
Good Luck,
Jerry
JerryForwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 11:42 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
If it is a rubber roof, they are famous for that. Some companys make products to help, but some rubber roof manufactures warn against using any petroleum products on your roof.

Sarge
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:05 AM   #7

I have a rubber roof on my 2005 Georgie Boy Pursuit. I chose to pick up a rubber type gutter from Camping World (probably available in all RV supply houses). I put a piece just above the front windshield and formed it downward along side the coach between the windshield and driver/passenger doors. Works great. Did the same thing on the rear of the coach (ran a piece across the top back lip of the coach and keeps the entire rear portion of the unit clean. You just want to keep the gutter straight when applying. Its been on since the unit is new, now 36,000 miles and no problems... Gutter comes in rolls, is flexible and has adhesive on the back for easy installation... Just a thought ...
bill carle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:57 AM   #8

Appalachian Campers
I second bill carle's recommendation. Works for white streaks and the black streaks to.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:40 PM   #9

The streaks are from oxidation of the rubber roof. You can reduce this by sealing the roof with Protect All Rubber Roof treatment twice a year. Minnesota Roofing, here, has a sealer a that is advertised to last a up to two years. A more powerful solution is to coat the roof with an EPDM paint, here. This will add a new layer to the roof and oxidation or chalking will be reduced. Both sealing and coating the roof will extend its service life.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:23 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
My rubber roof has always chalked, rather badly, I thought. I read the various threads and websites that say not to treat it. So I didn't - for a while. I finally decided I was not sure that made sense, heavy chalking = heavy EPDM loss. Other folks were saying to get some UV protection on it. So I had it cleaned and UV protection applied, on the premise that it might be a lot cheaper than a whole new roof.

Looks great. They tell me it will not eliminate the chalking entirely, but will slow it down significantly. We'll see.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:51 AM   #11

Blacktie... what were the results?
NeptuneGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:23 AM   #12

Triple E Owners Club
I've been using Protect All on my rubber roofs for years. It's a great set of products. On an older or more soiled rubber roof, I get kneepads and a hand scrub brush. Spraying on the cleaner, then scrubbing with the scrub brush will clean up most of it. I then have a big bucket and several rags to wipe up the chalky residue and not let any run down the sides. Sometimes it might take another shot of cleaner and more scrubbing, but it's not difficult.

Once you are finished with the cleaner and it's all wiped up with the rags (on a medium rig I change the rag water three times or so in a big bucket), then let it dry and then apply the Rubber Roof Treatment. That really helps keep it clean and slows the release of the chalky stuff that makes the streaks.
VI Roamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:04 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
At The Rally, the Protect All guy said that the Rubber Roof Protector worked great on fiberglass roofs, also.
Lukeaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:21 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Of course he did. He is selling the stuff, right? I like the ProtectAll products and use the protectant on the coach walls all the time. Used their roof treatment back when we had a rubber roof too, til I figured out I was cleaning the roof on the same schedule whether I used the Roof product or not.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote