Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2015, 03:52 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Roof Help!

Been banging my head looking all over the net for help. I want to take out my 2nd a/c unit that I never use and leaks when it rains. It's the perfect place for a large 150 watt solar panel I want to install. How do I patch the roof (inside and out) & can I use any of the wiring for my solar? I have a 1997 Class A 35' Damon Intruder with a rubber roof. I'd rather do it myself than have to break down pay an arm and a leg at an RV shop. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2015, 05:36 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
It's your motorhome to do as you wish, but one AC would be a deal breaker should you want to sell it.
The AC fits into a 14"x14" framed hole in the roof. upon removal you'll see the hole needed to be filled. A piece of plywood of appropriate thickness would work. The patch could be covered with additional rubber roofing material, properly glued/adhered to the new plywood and seams covered with Dicor sealant or Eternabond tape. As for the inside, why not just fabricate a way to leave the AC vent cover in place? I would think it would be difficult to match new ceiling material to old without it looking obvious.
Regarding the rain leak.....why not just replace the AC gasket on the roof and call it done? Just random thoughts.

Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 01:10 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks!

Thank You for the help. I know it sounds crazy. My reasoning is, it's the best place to put my solar panel. The ceiling is stained from a past leak with previous owner, this one has made it worse, so ceiling fabric already needs replacing. The 2nd a/c unit has 4 vents and is only for the small bedroom. There is a vent in the bathroom that is run from the front unit that blows right on the bed. I'm in Florida and have never used the second unit. Even in the heat and humidity of mid-summer the front unit alone keeps the temp pretty frigid. You can't even run them both at the same time, it's one or the other. I'm going to put it in storage and give it to the next owner down the road so they can have the option of putting it back in if they so desire. Thank you very much for answering my call for help, it is very much appreciated.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:55 PM   #4

If you are determined to replace your ac, I think your best option is to replace the ac with a regular roof vent One-piece Vent - White - Heng's Industries 71311-C1G2 - Vents - Camping World
or perhaps a powered roof vent.
Put your solar panel somewhere else on the roof.
Mich F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:58 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I Can Not Fit A Solar Panel Over A Roof Vent! I have an old vent I saved when I installed a new Fantastic Fan and I could easily drop it in and be done with it. Then I would not be here asking for help. I have a LARGE solar panel I need this space for.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:04 AM   #6

Put in a skylight in the hole left by the AC. Then construct brackets to position the
solar panel over the skylight. The skylight will still let in some light - but most of the heat
will be blocked.

I heard of another member on IRV2 doing the same thing over his skylight
in the shower.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:23 AM   #7

I would think that on a 35' MH you would have somewhere else to install a solar panel ? https://rvsolarstore.com/index.php?r...tegory&path=39
Mich F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 04:42 PM   #8

I've got a 96 Itasca Suncruiser 34' and it came pre-wired for a solar panel. Maybe your Damon did too. As for removing the rear a/c you'd probably find it hard to sell if you ever decided to sell it.
Where are your batteries? Mine are in the steps and straight above on the roof is where it factory would have placed one if it would have been ordered with that option.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:53 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have found a solution on another site! Thanks for commenting
Old 08-20-2015, 06:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy HG View Post
I have found a solution on another site! Thanks for commenting

Going to leave us in suspense ? ! What is the other solution ?

😉
Old 08-21-2015, 08:04 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Replace A/C with roof vent fan.. you will still have a "hump" but it will look good both inside and out and the solar panels should fit over the Hump.

NOTE: if you believe that Global warming is a fact and summers are getting hotter and hotter you may wish to re-consider and fix the leak instead.

Tags
roof