RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2019, 07:28 PM   #1

Roof never looked so good! And so can yours.

Here is how my roof looks after I adapted a roof coating procedure from a member of the BAC (Beaver Ambassador Club). Although there may be other options for the paint, most recommend what I used which is Rust-Oleum Marine Topside Paint (gloss white). My recommendation is to purchase 4 quarts instead of a one gallon can. I purchased mine from Amazon. All other materials I purchased at Lowe’s.

The roof coating procedure is “is appropriate for roofs that do not exhibit significant cracks in the surface,” according to the BAC article. If you need to reseal suspect areas using Dicor or Eternabond, do that first. The following steps and materials are what I used.

Step 1: Wash the roof with Simple Green cleaner, scrubbing with a couple of rags.

Step 2: Spray off the Simple Green with your hose, spraying in only two directions so as to limit the runoff to two sides of the coach. I do not recommend ever getting a pressure washer near your coach. I next sprayed the runoff from the front and the driver’s side of the coach and dried those sides with towels. This is extra work and some skip this step, but I don’t want spotting or streaking from the runoff. As you know, spotting and streaking can be more pronounced, especially if you do the procedure in full sun.

Step 3: According to the BAC article, “When the roof is dry, lightly scrub the roof with 3M Red Scotchbrite pads. This will slightly roughen the surface to promote better paint adhesion.”

Step 4: Now wash the roof with a wax and grease remover. I used Klean-Strip Prep-All. Use several rags for this step (I purchased a bundle of microfiber towels.

Step 5: When the roof is dry, tape the edges where the roof joins the painted areas. I used 2” green Frogtape.

As you can see, most of the procedure is in the preparation (about 3 – 4 hours). I sped this up a bit by using a leaf blower to dry the roof.

Step 6: Finally, the fun part! Use a small diameter 6” paint roller to paint the roof and have a 2” brush handy to paint the hard to reach areas and any uneven surfaces such as where Dicor was applied. You will need to apply the 2nd coat at least one day after the first because you are using oil based paint. Hint: Don’t paint on a windy day where dirt or leaves, etc., can get into your paint. Don’t forget to remove the Frogtape before you stow your ladder. You will also need the ladder to admire your work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roof 1.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	263318  

Delaware beaches ----- DW & Kip the Wonder Dog
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2019, 07:42 PM   #2

Man that looks great.

HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 07:54 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Roof never looked so good! And so can yours.

It does look very nice. Interesting too I used that same paint a few months ago on the top of my front cap where the clear and colour was coming off. It doesnít look like original obviously but looks good enough without getting a body shop to paint it to match. Much cheaper and cooler. Took a lot of wet sanding. I put down two coats of the same primer with three coats of white. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3853.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	382.9 KB
ID:	263330Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3856.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	209.6 KB
ID:	263329Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3841.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	478.9 KB
ID:	263328Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3842.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	491.3 KB
ID:	263327
2005 National Dolphin 6376LX, W-24, 8.1 Vortec, 2100 Allison MH 5 speed, Safe T Plus, Toyo tires, TireSafeGuard TPMS, 2019 Equinox 1.5L, Blue OX Aventa LX tow bar, Roadmaster EZ5 baseplate, SMI Stay-In-Play Duo
tmw188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:47 PM   #4

I have everything to do mine, just need to find the time. May take everything when we head to Arizona.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 06:57 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Looks great!! Did you remove your vent covers, solar panel, etc before cleaning/painting the roof?
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 01:28 PM   #6

Did you use a primer before the Rusoleum?
No issues using a powerwasher on a roof if one is experienced, uses the right tip, the right distance and the right motion. Just did my whole rig yesterday. Would have taken a whole day otherwise. Took 1/2 hr.
Old 10-12-2019, 02:44 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
They make a compatible primer.
2005 National Dolphin 6376LX, W-24, 8.1 Vortec, 2100 Allison MH 5 speed, Safe T Plus, Toyo tires, TireSafeGuard TPMS, 2019 Equinox 1.5L, Blue OX Aventa LX tow bar, Roadmaster EZ5 baseplate, SMI Stay-In-Play Duo
Old 10-12-2019, 03:07 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Note that this is for a fiberglass roof. Don't try to paint a EPDM or TPO roof with deck paint.

Another note: Dicor makes a paint especially for fiberglass roofs. Oddly enough, they call it Dicor Fiberglass Roof Coat. It's not quite as glossy as the marine deck paint, but it's formulated for RV roofs, is not slippery to walk on, and looks great. I was about to purchase the Rustoleum deck paint when I came across the Dicor product and bought that instead.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 03:18 PM   #9

I used Rustoleum Marine Top Coat early this summer. Followed the same procedure. No primer necessary. I was up top today fixing my Satellite dish and took a look around. Wow, it still looks great! Not a hint of slippery either. I'm going to mop on some 303 Protectant a couple of times each year to extend its life.
Old 10-12-2019, 05:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by veraken View Post
Looks great!! Did you remove your vent covers, solar panel, etc before cleaning/painting the roof?

Only removed the AC covers and the Fantastic covers.
Old 10-12-2019, 05:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
Did you use a primer before the Rusoleum?
No issues using a powerwasher on a roof if one is experienced, uses the right tip, the right distance and the right motion. Just did my whole rig yesterday. Would have taken a whole day otherwise. Took 1/2 hr.

I did not use a primer, but might have if there were any areas where the bare fiberglass was showing. Not positive about this, but if you are seeing a yellow hue, you are probably looking at bare or nearly bare fiberglass. Hopefully, someone more experienced will chime in on this.
Old 10-12-2019, 05:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Note that this is for a fiberglass roof. Don't try to paint a EPDM or TPO roof with deck paint.

Another note: Dicor makes a paint especially for fiberglass roofs. Oddly enough, they call it Dicor Fiberglass Roof Coat. It's not quite as glossy as the marine deck paint, but it's formulated for RV roofs, is not slippery to walk on, and looks great. I was about to purchase the Rustoleum deck paint when I came across the Dicor product and bought that instead.

Thanks, Gary, I was not aware of that.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:33 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hey Sandy Swede -OP repost another photo of your roof, I didn't intend on my pictures overiding yours.
Old 10-13-2019, 05:04 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
Hey Sandy Swede -OP repost another photo of your roof, I didn't intend on my pictures overiding yours.

Not quite sure what you mean here, tmw188, but here is a photo of my roof after the procedure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roof 1.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	263453  

Tags
roof