Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2011, 03:04 PM   #1

Roof rack on roof of class A, questions...

Hey All,

We do a fair amount of local beach camping trips, which we don't want to tow the Toad out on. I've got a slick 2 bike Yakima Holdup bike rack for the bikes, but now I'm trying to figure out the best/simplest solution for bringing the surf boards. We have a 9'6 longboard and a couple 7'6 boards as well.
I can't fit the boards on the ladder to strap them onto it when the bike rack and bikes are on (which are a must). Dragging them inside the coach is a pain in the butt.
All I can think of is to either do a permanent vertical rack mount on the opposite side of the ladder on the rear of the coach, or to go with a roof rack.

I'd love to hear from anyone that has done this or has any advice on what they think is best. Just looking for ideas...
I'm admitadly nervous to drill holes in the roof of my coach, but I know the TC guys do that all the time.
Is there anything I should be aware of when drilling/mounting this rack on my one piece fiberglass roof?
What is a safe max length of bolts used to secure rack to roof?
Is it safe to drill/mount on most any areas of the roof, given the proper length screw?
I read a few past threads of people attaching 2x4 blocks to the roof and then bolting the rack to the 2x4. Doesn't seem necessary to me, but is this a good idea?
What's the best sealant to caulk with to prevent leaks?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'll take any advice I can get. And if anyone has any slick setups with rear surf board storage and bike racks, I'm all ears...

Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2011, 03:23 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like a lot of fun.

I'll leave the question on how to secure a rack on the roof for others to answer but since you're looking for ideas... have you thought about just getting a hitch rack for the bikes and mounting the boards to the ladder?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Sounds like a lot of fun.

I'll leave the question on how to secure a rack on the roof for others to answer but since you're looking for ideas... have you thought about just getting a hitch rack for the bikes and mounting the boards to the ladder?

Rick
Thanks for the response Rick.
I do have a hitch rack for the bikes. It's this one:
Yakima › Shop › Bike › Hitch › HoldUp (2" receivers only)

The problem is, with that in place and bikes on rack, there is not enough space between the rack/bikes and ladder to fit one, let alone two surf boards on the ladder.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:01 PM   #4

Just came across your post and saw that you didn't really get an answer from someone who has done it.

On the top of my roof are two eight foot Yakima Bars - mounted with the correct brackets of course. Two stainless steel screws per bracket were used with some Dicor seal over them and around the bracket base. This resulted in a solid watersealed mount. No problem in three years.

MAKE SURE YOUR DRILLED HOLES ARE NOT TOO SMALL. OTHERWISE THE SCREWS MIGHT SPLIT YOUR ROOF.

I spaced the bars quite far apart as I store my 17 foot kayaks on top. Normally they are kept on the car but when I take long car or plane trips and don't want the kayaks on the car up they go. it's easier than it might appear.
TurtleBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:26 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
If you can, use a stud finder to locate any 'reinforcments' that might be in the roof.. When I had to pull my bedroom ceiling off due to damage, I found that there were two 2x4's imbedded in the foam, one on each side of the roof running front to back. After thinking a bit, I figured they where attachment points for a roof top carrier. Also, you should build a little windshield/deflector to defleft the wind up and over the boards. This will greatly lesson the load on the ceiling.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:27 AM   #6

I put a set of Yakimas on a Truck camper years ago. They developed leaks in the roof after a few years. Now I would think long and hard before I put any holes in the roof of a MH. That doesn't mean it can't be done well...just that the more holes you have, the more possibility of a leak.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBack View Post
Just came across your post and saw that you didn't really get an answer from someone who has done it.

On the top of my roof are two eight foot Yakima Bars - mounted with the correct brackets of course. Two stainless steel screws per bracket were used with some Dicor seal over them and around the bracket base. This resulted in a solid watersealed mount. No problem in three years.

MAKE SURE YOUR DRILLED HOLES ARE NOT TOO SMALL. OTHERWISE THE SCREWS MIGHT SPLIT YOUR ROOF.

I spaced the bars quite far apart as I store my 17 foot kayaks on top. Normally they are kept on the car but when I take long car or plane trips and don't want the kayaks on the car up they go. it's easier than it might appear.

Thanks for the helpful post, I appreciate it.
I've let some other chores take place of this one, but plan on trying to build a little surf board rack/receptacle off the inside bar of my bike rack. I'd drop the nose of the board(s) into that, then lean them back against the rear of the coach sandwiched between the ladder bar and rear cap. Use a tie down to secure them to the ladder bar.
It may not come out as planned, but before I go the Yakima roof rack route, I suppose I'll give this a shot first...
Thanks again guys for the help...
Old 10-19-2011, 08:46 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Man TurtleBack am I glad you put this post up. The DW and I were just arguing a little about this, I want to put my 2 16' kayaks on our roof. The ladder already sticks about 10" above the roof, so putting the kayaks up there only adds about 4". Awesome I'm doin it!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-20-2011, 12:25 AM   #9

Turtleback,

Did you just drill and mount the brackets wherever it was most convenient for you, or did you use a stud finder or ? I too have a couple solar panels and really only one option for placement if I go the Yakima roof rack route, so just curious what you did before I start drilling holes
Pics would be cool too if you happen to have any....thanks
Old 10-20-2011, 11:09 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Watch your total height if you start putting stuff on the roof.. 13'6" is a hard limit, and if you hit say 14'6" and go under a 14 foot bridge, you won't b e happy.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:57 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yeah I took a measurement ground to roof surface where I'm going to set kayaks and it's 11'4" so if mount boats flat, I will finish out below 13'. I'm going to put them up there and check before I start drillin though, wouldn't want to give my boats to the guy behind me!
Old 12-27-2011, 08:01 PM   #12

My apologies to cmpmcrsaider and Manke. I haven't been online for 2 & 1/2 months and am surprised that I didn't get an email that additional entries were made on this thread. Only found your query by going back through all of the old posts.

So... First if you read between the lines I don't travel with the kayaks on top. We're fulltimers so keeping them on the toad is not a problem. However, it is likely that that they could be strapped down okay just on the bars only. However, if you have the space (height wise) I would add Mako Saddles to the bars. This would add 3-4 inches more in height though. I'm 12' 6" and with the kayaks - without the Saddles - on top I'm slightly above the a/c units already. Point is make sure you know what the total ending height will be.

I have four solar panels toward the front of the rig so put the racks in the rear. (The rig is 41 feet). The bars are fore and aft the rear a/c and the kayaks straddle the a/c. If the kayaks are placed straight on the roof the back vents cannot be opened. No problem for us as they are only up there when we are gone.

No stud finder was used. However, if I had to do it over I would have checked to see if Yakima had flush mounts so double sided tape could be used. That is how the solar panels are mounted and they seem quite secure.

One more thing. I have a Canoe/Kayak Roller which I mount on top of the ladder when needed using two bolts and two of the large wing nuts used to attach Yakima products to the bars. To get these large kayaks - but only about 55 pounds - up we tie a rope to the front grip. Then the person on the roof hauls the rope up while the one at the bottom pulls back to keep the kayak away from the rig. Once the kayak reaches the roller it can be rolled up and over onto the bars. Never touches the paint.

These rollers come in 18" to 48" widths and can be gotten online at ORSDirect.com. The 18 incher works for me and was about $80. I use bungy cords to hold it in the top corner of one of the cargo bays so it is out of the way.

TurtleBack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof