Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-27-2015, 12:02 PM   #15
I used the liquid rubber to seal my seams about 4 years ago. It worked great for awhile. I have since developed another leak, I think in the same spot. Looking at the roof seams with the liquid rubber they are all spider cracked. Liquid rubber only has a 5-7 year warranty. This time I am going to seal the same seams with the EPDM tape, Cofair, Eterna Bond and I think Dicor makes it. It has a 15-20 year warranty and is supposed to have a high strength bond that bonds to almost anything.

Don and Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2015, 07:06 PM   #16
If/when my MH roof begins to develop a water leak I'll for darned sure use RV-Armor. At my age I don't like to get on the roof, I don't bounce now, just splat.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 03:36 PM   #17
Don and Barb,
jplante offered the link to RV-Armor.com in his post, #7. I had just finished reading their add in the S.M.A.R.T. magazine prior to reading this thread.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:32 AM   #18
Fleetwood Owners Club
Originally Posted by Gerryl View Post
Has anyone had their roof re-done with the 'RV Armor' ? And what is the cost of doing say a 34' rubber roof?

That looks like something that would last a lifetime!
I have a Fleetwood Terra 33L, 34'7", and was quoted a cost by RV Armor of just shy of $5000. That quote was about nine months ago.
wydglydrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:49 AM   #19
After 17 years with a rubber roof and no leaks, I talked with a Leisure Time RV representative at the Tampa RV show in January, 2014. Convinced me it was time to replace with Roof Armor. This is the spray on coating similar to the stuff they spray in pickup beds. After contact with a tree limb, I took coach to Leisure Time RV in Winter Garden, Florida. Little did I know that my roof leaks were about to begin. Everything removed from roof and rubber membrane removed. Any damage repaired and Roof Armor sprayed on. Had to replace shower skylight and one Fantastic Fan but $8000.00 later, I had my guaranteed leak free roof. I just picked up the coach for the forth time after the dealer addressed various leaks. First it was due to some different metal channeling they switched to, than leaks along the roof line where the EDPM was removed. Next was around the air horn mount, and finally, where coax cables from the roof mounted satellite dish entered. Product or application? I guess application. Most annoying, the ceiling inside the coach badly stained although they say they will take care of it. I guess it's up to us to clean. After three 80 mile round trips we were given a $25.00 Exon/Mobil gift card. At 9 miles per gallon (if we're lucky) doesn't cover first return trip. Rain due later today. Wonder what will leak now. Buyer beware.
Polk City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:47 PM   #20
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thought I would jump in herd and ask a Question.
I looked at a 2000 Georgie Boy 33.5 pursuit with the original rubber roof.
At each end cap and down the drip rails the EDPM is starting to lift away from the roof decking. 25K asking price $ 16.900.
Is this any indication that the roof is leaking.?
Owner also stated that the transmission is a Allison..true or false?
I can't find any info about this.
Any thoughts? Went through all the cabinets looking staining. None was found.
Any ideas on the roof or should I look else were?
41pu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:10 AM   #21
If the Georgie Boy has a diesel engine, the transmission is Allison. If it has a Chevy on a Workhorse chassis than it could be an Allison. If it is a Ford engine than no. I think Ford used Ford transmissions.

As for the EDPM roof. There are different types of failures. The EDPM is glued to the luan sub-roof. If it starts to bubble up or show other evidence of coming loose, that does not mean a leak. Holes in the rubber or separation along the edges will cause leaks. Leaks that come through the roof will show up as a wet spot or stain on the ceiling. Leaks along the edge can cause problems in the walls which will show up later as separation of the wall components. As for replacement, my EDPM roof was 17 years old and had developed some separation but no leaks. I felt that due to it's age it was time to replace. The options were a new EDPM roof, or a spray on type. Some are sprayed over the existing EDPM. They claim they reglue the separated areas but that concerned me. Others, like the one I chose, remove the EDPM, check the sub-roof for problems, and when all is OK or repaired, they spray on a new roof. I chose a Rhino Lining product and have had numerous problems with leaks (see previous submission). It rained Wednesday night and sure enough, still a small leak over the driver's area. I know the dealer has tried their best. They pressurize the inside and spray a soap solution on the roof to look for leaks. Why they keep missing some is the question. Will take coach back again.

There is a place in Jacksonville that applies a different product; kind of a thick rubber or plastic type product. If I had it to do again I would take a close look at this company. I am on the road and the information is at home but they do have a web site.

Good luck with your selection.
Polk City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 06:39 PM   #22
Just a note of thanks to all, as usual here lots of great help. Had my rv repair shop take a look and even though they nor I was sure where the leak was coming from this is the result. Where the cap met the roof in the front the molding appeared loose on one side, come to find out it was not screwed down properly if at all. Stripped all sealant re-attached correctly and added more screws and re sealed as well as removal and re sealing both side rails, We are northern California and have been in the pineapple express for a few days and so far so good. I cleaned interior water spots with a 1/1 mixture of bleach and water and all looks like nothing ever happened. Thanks again for everything, see ya on the road....
Wayne and Jacque 1999 Pace Arrow 34N and Jia, the spoiled Shih Tzu
jiaandus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 03:41 PM   #23
I just posted something on this. I just came from camper and RV show in West Springfield and there were two german fellow there from Quebec that claimed to manufacturers of a product called Rexoseal. No need to caulk. Just paint this stuff around any protrusion, lay a piece of some fine cloth they provide and paint over it. Then do the same on any seams. Then paint the whole roof with this stuff. 380 for 5 gallons. Looked pretty good and quick

edsperfect is offline   Reply With Quote