Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2015, 04:50 PM   #1

Roof re-coat

We have a 1999 Pace Arrow 34n. We developed a leak and the local rv repair shop sealed around the satellite mounting bracket with some success but now the leak has returned. I never suspected the leak was coming from where they repaired. Now I am contemplating dyi roof re-coat. I have seen on here some, and need to know a couple of things. I have to admit ignorance to the term EPDM and the video I saw on here from 2010 used liquid rubber for the job. Is Dicar (sp?) the same or different? Again ignorance takes over because I don't know the correct terminology for my roof type. It has seams running side to side and looks like some kind of fabric?, not sure. So help!!!! if possible.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2015, 07:52 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I too have the EPDM rubber roof. It is a thin layer of covering.

I have not sealed mine yet. I did wash it this fall. I had a lot of white chalk coming off of the roof.

I purchased some Dicor self leveling sealant to apply around the roof vents and other seams. I also purchased some of the sealant tape.

Have not used it yet but plan on using it along the end caps.

I am not sure this type of roof needs to be resealed.

Others with more knowledge than I will chime and provide more help.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiaandus View Post
We have a 1999 Pace Arrow 34n. We developed a leak and the local rv repair shop sealed around the satellite mounting bracket with some success but now the leak has returned. I never suspected the leak was coming from where they repaired. Now I am contemplating dyi roof re-coat. I have seen on here some, and need to know a couple of things. I have to admit ignorance to the term EPDM and the video I saw on here from 2010 used liquid rubber for the job. Is Dicar (sp?) the same or different? Again ignorance takes over because I don't know the correct terminology for my roof type. It has seams running side to side and looks like some kind of fabric?, not sure. So help!!!! if possible.
jiaandus,
Well Sir, we all learn. I don't know anyone who was born knowing everything there is to know about RVs. Anyway, you most likely have the EDPM roof, based on the year and model you stated. Otherwise known as a "Rubber roof". Now, there's quite a few manufacturers that utilized that type of roof and, for the most part, have a pretty good success rate. However, due to the elements, sun, tree limbs, walking on it, etc., it does show signs of wear and tear after a few years.

Now, typically they'll hover around 10 years or more without leaking if, there's no physical damage. Some less, some more. There's a couple of schools of thought on whether to do anything to them or not. Most of the manufacturers of it, don't really recommend any "coatings" but, if you want to, then, "Dicor" is a brand that has been used by quite a few on here, including myself.

Some, will take a short cut and do "Liquid rubber" from your local Home Depot or Lowes and, I've heard it works too. I personally would recommend the Dicor treatment. it's a two part treatment. The first thing to do is, make sure all your seams, roof vents, fan vents, A/C units, front and rear cap seams, and, side seams are all in perfect shape.

Then, a good solid soap and water wash with a fairly stout brush, to get things started. Then, the Dicor system utilizes a "Prep/primer" system that is used as pre-treatment/wash prior to its coating. Then, two coats of its coating are what's recommended. I did all of that, in one day, with the help of my son. It was a 90 degree day and, we sweated A LOT but, by 4:00 in the after noon, it was totally done and, looked way better than new. We kept that rig for 5 years more and, when we sold it to the daughter and son in law, it (the roof) still looked as good then as it did the day we coated it. And, that's with no parking garage for it to be under.

The important part is to make really sure that your roof is sealed and clean, in order for the coating to really stick and do what it's supposed to. Good luck. Below is a picture of the completed project.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:45 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Dicor is one of the two big manufacturers of EPDM "rubber" roof material (the other is Alpha Systems). There may be nothing wrong with your rubber roof material - with reasonable care an EPDM roof will last 20+ years. Leaks occur at seams, e.g. where the front and rear caps meet the roof, or openings for things like antennas, a/c. plumbing vents, skylights, etc. Most likely the DIY you need is just new caulking rather than a roof coat. However, brushing on a thick elastomeric coating, aka liquid rubber, might cover any leaking seams anyway.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:58 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
One note on the condition of your roof. If you see black areas it's likely time to coat the roof. It's designed to be chalky. But once the surface gets to the point of having the rubber show black it's time for action before the sun destroys the remaining rubber layer. I have the same model and vintage. Pace Arrow as your and I have been investigating option. DIY is the cheapest. There is one company that comes to you and applies the coating with a lifetime warranty. The quote I got was around $4000 for our 34ft coach.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:53 AM   #6

I have used Kool Seal on my rubber roof with great success. I used it three years ago and no leaks and looks good. Someone in this forum mentioned it a while back, so I gave it a try and have been very happy with it.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:02 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
MSHappyCampers posted this last week.

Welcome to RV Armor - Home

Looks expensive but they offer a lifetime of the roof, non-prorated, transferable warranty for materials and labor.
jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:14 PM   #8

WOW!
Old 01-09-2015, 06:16 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplante4 View Post
MSHappyCampers posted this last week.

Welcome to RV Armor - Home

Looks expensive but they offer a lifetime of the roof, non-prorated, transferable warranty for materials and labor.

The problem I have with that system is they spray directly on to the old edpm. Granted the stuff is pretty much impervious, but it's adherence to the rv is only as good as the glue they used to put the epdm on with.

I asked several shops that spray the stuff and none would strip the old membrane before spraying. And they wouldnt remove the ac's either. When they told me they were going to mask around the ac units and not remove it, I backed out. 3 times.

An alternate is plasti-dip. They sell spray kits.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:05 PM   #10

I just wound up driving 100+ miles to pick up eternabond and kool seal at graingers and Lowes. I uses acetone and a fine ish scouring pad and cleaned the roof almost spotlessly. I then eternabonded all the seams and places where there was depression. I waited a few days and kool sealed the roof and the next night it poured cats and dogs. Where I previously had water intrusion was bone dry.
$150 in material, 2 hours driving, 1 hour shopping and 4 hours on the roof and hopefully all is well.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:30 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Has any of the leak penetrated into the cabin? How long did it leak? Are there any soft spots in the roof?

If you have had a couple leaks there is the possibility of mold in the roof. We had some soft spots in the 5er and I decided to replace the EPDM. I found substantial mold in the roof and ended up replacing the sheeting. Fortunately it had not gone beyond the sheeting due to a layer of metallic insulation. I replaced the sheeting with plywood and new EPDM for about 2000.00.

While the roof was off it was easy to rewire the lights and change them to LED. I put in several circuits of dimmable lights and added a remote control.

Removing the mold which we were not aware of was the bonus.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:36 PM   #12

Dicar is the best stuff you can find. You have to remove any old caulking around the area that is leaking as it isn't connecting to the EPDM roof.
My brother completed removed all the caulking around his fixtures and resealed with Dicar. Note of caution: Once you put it down it isn't coming up anytime soon.
Also, once you get everything recaulked then recoat your roof. You will then only wash it once a year.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:57 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Did my 30 ' "c" w/ Hengs rubber roof coating (have changed name now I think plastickote) looks real good easy to apply. Got from PPL in texas. make sure u do 2 coats, had it done by ist time by rv supply store, only did 1 coat, i redid last Mar, w/ 2 looks lot better
Santara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 01:46 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Has anyone had their roof re-done with the 'RV Armor' ? And what is the cost of doing say a 34' rubber roof?

That looks like something that would last a lifetime!

Tags
roof