Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2014, 07:43 AM   #1

Roof Repair?

How hard is it to pull back a rubber roof that has been glued down. I need to fix a small section above the drivers seat where the roof meets the fiberglass cap.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2014, 08:25 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Your getting into a big project if you pull the skin off to repair/replace. Cannot not be left in place an patched over?
Old 09-01-2014, 08:55 PM   #3

Eternabond tape, my rubber roofing pulled away from the cap too. I bought the eternabond from Amazon, then wiped the area down with lacquer thinner and laid the tape down and it's gonna be there forever.
sjholt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettyjock View Post
How hard is it to pull back a rubber roof that has been glued down. I need to fix a small section above the drivers seat where the roof meets the fiberglass cap.
jettyjock,
Well Sir, let's thing a bit "outside" the box here. I do a lot of that. First off, you can buy that EDPM or other types at roofing supply houses and, quite possibly at even RV supply houses. I mean, they get it when they need it don't they?

So, a way of looking at this "repair" of yours might be to simply slice a square or, rectangle out of the roof sheeting where your repair is needed. Then, do your repair and, with the exact same size of new rubber sheeting that you purchased, you simply make a clean slate, and, glue the repair patch of sheeting down. And, you'd make sure the edges are butted up to the old ones. Now, you have a four sided patch.

Now, I've not used it before but, many, many folks on here and other RV sites have used this "Eternabond" tape. They say it's the greatest invention since the egg. So, you get a roll of this Eternabond and, place it over the seams of your patch, DONE! It really can't be any harder than that.

At least if it were mine, I'd probably go about the repair in that kind of fashion. I mean, what else can be done? You have to do a repair don't you? You gonna tear the entire roof membrane off for small repair? I certainly wouldn't.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote