Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-15-2008, 01:10 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
fixed guys... sorry- It changed when I gave Oh one ownersghip of the photos...

*MonacoMama with the 2 Pins & SacsTC Nearby*
*2007 Monaco Diplomat 40' SFT<>2006 Chevy VortecMax Toad<>2006 Buick Lucerne Leading the Way*
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2008, 09:00 AM   #16
Update: The tech. services rep. at Monaco called me back today from Oregon. They are denying any responsibility saying this is a "cosmetic problem". They said I should fix it myself or hire someone else to do it. This is a total disappointment to me. I don' think this level ,or any level, coach should simply pull apart in this short of time and mileage. I mistakenly thought that Monaco had a reputation for standing by their owners in situations like this. Evidently they are choosing to save a few bucks and in doing so loose any product loyalty and possible future sales to me or possibly others that ask me about their products. I think that the design and construction of the sidewall/roof attachments are clearly inadequate. The use of alu. screws is still being used today, as attested by the tech. that I spoke with. He agreed that it is very easy to damage alu. screws with a drill/driver, and that the serews probably did fail under tension from the awning. The question is why only one side, and not the other? The future of Monaco will not be affected by this but if the trend continues ,no smooth sales ad will ever sell coaches like word of mouth. Tiffin knew this a long time ago. I am truly disappointed with their decision. The cost of the repair is more than dollars. Oh-one out.

Oh-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 12:42 PM   #17
Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Monaco called me back today from Oregon. They are denying any responsibility </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I know some folks in Texas who bought a new higher end Monaco, 2006 (sorry, I don't recall which model). They have never completed a trip in the coach without a breakdown. I don't know all the problems, but do know that it has been sitting unregistered for over a year because it has never been able to pass a state inspection (which isn't all that hard to pass in Texas). Last time I visited with them in Feb this year they were still between court dates pursuring lemon law action started almost a year before because Monaco had not been responsive to requests to fix or replace the coach. Their experience kind of killed Monaco's reputation for me.
Paul (KE5LXU) ...was fulltimin', now parttimin'
'03 Winnebago UA 40e / '05 Honda Odyssey toad
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 02:26 PM   #18
Solo Rvers Club
Not that it will help much now, but... The question as to why one side and not the other -- We figured on our awning/roof separation it was that the guy on the scaffold on only ONE side of the assembly line had the screw gun turned up a little too hot, and so twisted the screw heads off on that side. The other side was fine, but I talked Winnebago into extending the warranty on any other roof/sidewall/awning separation problems for another two years, and since the MH was brand new, we had a three yr warranty on this problem. Yes, I got it in writing. It's a shame Monaco isn't treating you better! Best of luck.
'07 Itasca 35L/W22 FULL-TIMING
1000 Trails - VFW - 5 Yrs Army
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 04:27 PM   #19

Don't talk to the techs in Oregon. Especially the one whose name starts with a "V". You dont want my opinion about this guy. I was dealing with this guy while at the dealers. He said no to the repair. So I called the Wakarusa office and talked to the tech there and he said no problem, they would pay to have the awning motor replaced. Just goes to show it pays to speak to the right guy. s/Toby
2006 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 38PDQ
Click on SHIP to enlarge CGC Sagebrush
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:00 PM   #20
Monaco Owners Club
If it weren't for this thread, I don't think I would have thought to extend the slides, get a flashlight, and inspect the seam under the slide awning from front to back. But I did it today and for whatever reason, there was no separation and the sealant looked good. I'm not sure how this could be a cosmetic issue as it's very hard to see if you don't know where to look and moisture would easily enter.
2007 Monaco Camelot 36PDQ
2009 Hyundai Sante Fe Toad
Camelot Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:30 PM   #21
Final update: The sidewall/roof separation is now repaired thanks to John Bleakley RV in Unadilla GA. The serv. mgr. Glen McCormick and his folks did a GREAT JOB and did so in a fast and efficient manner. It was done at their expense with a wonderfull dedication to complete customer satisfaction. I can only say thanks for everything. I have said it before ... "the dealer is just as important as the deal".
Oh-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:55 PM   #22
I bumped this thread to the top because we were at the Monaco factory today. The young lady doing the tour was very knowledgeable. She has been at Monaco for many years and started out on the line. When we were at the part of the tour I asked her about the aluminum screws. She said that this does not sound right but then went to the upper scaffold wher they install the roof. Brought back a screw. It is a coated steel screw, grey in colour. Easy to mistake for aluminum. These screws are also used on the beltline and to attach the caps. I checked with a magnet and they are steel. Someone else posted that his Dynasty had aluminum screws. That would be a big problem as aluminum screws in a steel memeber will corrode due to a galvanic reaction. Folks they have never used aluminum screws for this purpose. HOWEVER they sure could strip the screws.
2008 Dynasty 42' Diamond IV
2004 Safari Trek ( Mexico Unit)
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 01:45 PM   #23
Hate to get into this problem so late but, my unit[2002HR Admiral]separated in the same place, on both sides.

The problem,on mine, was that it was held together by aluminum pop rivets into the steel framing. Needless to say, galvanic action ate the rivets.

I can't recall Monaco's words but, I repaired it myself.

BobFL is offline   Reply With Quote