Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2008, 05:29 PM   #1

Has anyone ever had this to happen? Fiberglass Roof/sidewall seam is opening up.
Oh-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2008, 05:29 PM   #2

Has anyone ever had this to happen? Fiberglass Roof/sidewall seam is opening up.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:39 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
What year and model Monaco do you have? Does it look like possibly broken screws in the molding? Can you take photos and post them so we may be able to better assist you figure this out? Good luck and keep it dry.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:59 AM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
Yes, this happened on our new Itasca on our very first trip. The slide awning pulled the roof sheet away from the sidewall where they come together, about a two inch gap and seventeen feet long. It was a bunch of screws twisted off, so failed to hold the fastening strip under the roof radius(we guessed with a torqued down air driver on the assembly line.) Got it fixed under warranty, took six days, and I camped in their facility and watched every minute of the repairs, which turned out excellent. I can give you more particulars, if you want... Best of luck!
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 01:12 PM   #5

Thanks. I have sent photos to Monaco through my dealer. The serv. mgr. ,at my dealer, said I will probably have to go to FLA. for repairs. He does not know what caused the separation and has never had a Imperial with this problem. I do not know how to post the pics to this forum. We are waiting on a response from Monaco and will post when we get one. Thanks for your responses. Sam
Old 08-12-2008, 06:44 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I have a HR Endeavor and have not had that problem. I recently resealed a few roof seams that were starting to crack. You are wise to take the coach to the Wildwood Florida facility and have Monaco fix it. Would really press them as to why this happened, this is not normal.

mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 07:38 AM   #7
HPH

Monaco Owners Club
Had an almost identical problem as Steelhead_bluesman. Had about 3k mi. on our coach at the time. Awning over front curbside slide pulled roof away from side of coach. Heads of bolts were snapped off. I'd say about 3-feet long. You could stick your hand up in there. Dealer went around and reattached some other areas on all the slide rooms. Coach is now back at dealer to fix paint where it is peeling at all repair sites. Last time in was 2 months in duration...

2004 Z71 Tahoe
HPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:41 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
My roof cap fits over the sidewalls and a piece of continuous moulding covers the seam. I had several broken screws in one section that became obvious. I raised the moulding bottom edge replaced the screws and resealed the molding five years ago. No problems since.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:25 PM   #9

Mama, did you receive the photos I sent of the 07 Imperial? Sam
Old 08-13-2008, 07:33 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Got them Sam ...
Here is one of them...

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:55 AM   #11

here is the link to the Photo Album with more pictures...
Old 08-14-2008, 04:23 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Sam...I will add them if you tell me what photos you want in the thread...There is THIS LINK TO ALL THE PHOTOS HERE

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:10 AM   #13

Update: The problem was caused by the slideout awning. The awning is attached to the roof, not the sidewall. The tension on the cloth awning pulled the roof away from the sidewall just as others have reported. The sidewall and roof are held togeather by #5 or #6 alu. screws. These simply could not hold the tension and failed. The repair is simple replacement of these screws with larger ones. John Bleakley RV in Unadilla GA has been GREAT and has already repaired the coach. This is an area that every Monaco coach owner should watch. I noticed that all the new Monaco products on Bleakley's lot had the same type installation. Thank you to all who replied and Mama for the photo help. Sam
Old 08-15-2008, 08:41 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Hi MM! When you have time will you please check the links to the photos for Oh one regarding the sidewall/roof separation problem. The 2 links take me to the photo section, but says "This category does not contain any images." I'm curious to see more. Thanks!
GoneFishin is offline   Reply With Quote