Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2011, 10:37 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by RovinOn View Post
I believe that it does to a certin extent, the bigger the coach the more people think they can carry. Plus I believe the longer it is the more amenities the coach builder may add.
One thing I have found in my coach is the lack of using more secure fasteners in attaching key items such as my dashboard. It may be fine to use self drilling drive screws on some items but not in the dashboard. The same in regards to attaching front cabinets with about a 60lb. television sitting in them. Very poor construction in my opinon.

I agree, somethings are just "zapped" together.
My beef is with how the wiring is run underneath the coach. I spent hours tidying up the sloppy wire runs down the frame rails, power steps, and generator.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2012, 02:15 PM   #44

Quote:
bbeane,,,

Mine are still intact........

When I purchased my recent gasser, I considered going to a DP and for two reasons, for the ride and for the quietness of having the engine in the rear. To many old timers talked me out of it because of the mileage I would have put on it verses expense, I wouldn't have used it enough and that is why I went back to gas.
With that being said, my coach is great but it has a really rough ride, true that it is on a truck frame but I do believe the manufacturers could do better job in this regard. But I have what I have and now it is up to me to make the best of it. If my personal pickup rode as bad as this I'd do the same or get rid of it but it doesn't. I can't afford a new new coach!

I know what you mean - I recently purchased a new 2010 gasser Baystar on a F53 chasis.....rough ride - trying to identify most of the shakes and rattles. Need to do the 4 corner weights and do the right psi for the tires - I think that'll make a big difference - already put on the Koni FSD shocks - but I really believe I took off 4 good Blisteins - can't tell much difference with the Konis....I saw in another thread the OP told his wife when she started complaining about her teeth starting to rattle to take them out and put them in her pocket and SHUT UP!

Old 01-11-2012, 03:55 PM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When I bought my first Motorhome I didn't know about this site, which in retrospect was probably a good thing. It probably would have confused me more that anything else. I knew I wanted a class A and I wanted a rear engine because of the noise. I found a nice used 32 ft 1993 Fleetwood Flair Diesel Pusher whch was perfect. Thennnn, after 3 years and many miles we decided slides would be nice, which got us to our present coach. The way we do it, I handle the engine, chassis etc. and my wife decides what the interior snould be. It works out great. She loves the Motorhome and I love to drive it. Through wind, rain, winds and pestilence it runs and handles great, and best of all we got it used.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:34 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickBBD
You have made more then just a few assumptions in posing your question. It takes all kinds of people to make the world interesting. Personally I don't waste a lot of time, energy or brain cells wondering how or why other people spend their time and money.
Here, here... If some people want drama there are afternoon soaps for that.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:52 PM   #47

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Not everyone can justify the cost of a DP
Why does anyone need to "justify" it?
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:33 AM   #48

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Why does anyone need to "justify" it?
I didn't "justify" mine, I "wanted" and could afford to get it. Who was I supposed to "justify" it to?
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:55 AM   #49

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
I didn't "justify" mine, I "wanted" and could afford to get it. Who was I supposed to "justify" it to?
That was my point, I guess you missed it.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:09 AM   #50

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I know that was your point. I was supporting, or trying to, it.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:50 AM   #51

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
I know that was your point. I was supporting, or trying to, it.
OK, I misunderstood!!
Old 04-09-2012, 06:39 PM   #52

Thumbs up

Amen! to that brother.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr300ce View Post
To answer the OP....I believe what happens is 2 things.

1) Many people, and RVers in particular, just have a need to "improve" & or modify their vehicle. I am one of those folks. I want it just right, as best my wallet can perform, and function to my satisfaction.

2) Yes, it may well be true that with all the $$$ spent on those "improvements", we could have gotten something better out of the box.
But...the improvemnets along the way are a work in progress, &...they are cheaper along the way, than all at once.

I don't think about all that time and $$$$ as a loss, as it is a good hobby, and keeps me thinking about the project. You will learn so much while fixing or improving a part of the vehicle.

I also have developed a sense of belonging with a great group of people (friends in a way) here on this forum. And I have made a whole bunch of friends at the Parts stores and repair shops too.

Even if I bought a brand new DP ultra deluxe, it is my engineering and mechanical nature to "improve" things.