Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2011, 04:02 AM   #1

Rough ride

Am I missing something here? Seems like a lot of folks go out and buy the second most expensive (may be the 1st) thing they ever bought, A motorhome. Then by the time they get it home they are all over the Forums trying to find a way to spend hundreds of dollars, if not more trying to make ride and drive like a car! What ever happend to a good test drive and doing your home work before plunking down your $$$. Some of these folks with these gas coaches with air springs, sway bars, koni shocks, banks kits and so on may as well have bought an air ride D/P, by the time they get done with all that. Don't want to stir everyone up I was just worndering.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2011, 04:42 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My coach at 2 years old (2008) when we bought it cost us $65,000.00. Added about $1,500.00 to add Koni shocks, rear trac bar (2007 F53 has front trac bar factory) front steer safe and spare tire rack. I don't think I could get a deisel 3 years old 35' 3 slides 12,000 miles for that money.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:37 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Why do some people drive 12 year old units and think there better then everyone else? it's about what you like not what you have for most people.
Camping4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:33 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I believe a good part of the reason is that they have never driven anything other than the family car and they expect an RV on a truck chassis should handle, ride and perform the same.
I guess we should be thankful they are buying all these aftermarket items that keep people employed producing and installing them. It helps the economy.
Bone stock and loving it.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping4fun View Post
Why do some people drive 12 year old units and think there better then everyone else? it's about what you like not what you have for most people.
Well sir, don't beleave anyone said a thing about being any better than anyone else, and I personally don't care what you or anyone chooses to rv in. Your post does not have anything to to do the original thread topic just like this one doesn't.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
I believe a good part of the reason is that they have never driven anything other than the family car and they expect an RV on a truck chassis should handle, ride and perform the same.
I guess we should be thankful they are buying all these aftermarket items that keep people employed producing and installing them. It helps the economy.
Bone stock and loving it.
Good point.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:03 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You have made more then just a few assumptions in posing your question. It takes all kinds of people to make the world interesting. Personally I don't waste a lot of time, energy or brain cells wondering how or why other people spend their time and money.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:29 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
To answer the OP....I believe what happens is 2 things.

1) Many people, and RVers in particular, just have a need to "improve" & or modify their vehicle. I am one of those folks. I want it just right, as best my wallet can perform, and function to my satisfaction.

2) Yes, it may well be true that with all the $$$ spent on those "improvements", we could have gotten something better out of the box.
But...the improvemnets along the way are a work in progress, &...they are cheaper along the way, than all at once.

I don't think about all that time and $$$$ as a loss, as it is a good hobby, and keeps me thinking about the project. You will learn so much while fixing or improving a part of the vehicle.

I also have developed a sense of belonging with a great group of people (friends in a way) here on this forum. And I have made a whole bunch of friends at the Parts stores and repair shops too.

Even if I bought a brand new DP ultra deluxe, it is my engineering and mechanical nature to "improve" things.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:51 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Some of these folks with these gas coaches with air springs, sway bars, koni shocks, banks kits and so on may as well have bought an air ride D/P, by the time they get done with all that. Don't want to stir everyone up I was just worndering.
People just trying to correct what the manufacturer failed to do in the first place. For the money spent the manufacturer needs a little better engineering on the coach attachment to the frames.
Should my coach ride so hard that it breaks the dashboard away from the side wall? or cabinets breaking away from the ceiling, Rough ride and poor engineering in my opinion.
While I agree that my MH is built on a truch frame, and I have driven trucks, many trucks over the years my MH to a certin extent should ride a little better then it does especially for the money spent, I've driven gas trucks that have driven better.

Not everyone can justify the cost of a DP
RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:12 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think you could also say the same thing about the DP folks that that purchase a 300 HP engine and wonder why it will not climb grades as well as the big block gasers. They too start looking for ways to improve performance ie. turbo chargers, performance chips.
I know of one friend that had an 8.1 built by Summit Racing and now has 500 HP. It will pass everything but a gas station and only cost him $11,000. It's his money and he enjoys doing it.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:44 AM   #11

All good points. I didn't intend to step on any toes, but looks like I did sorry.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:36 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeane View Post
All good points. I didn't intend to step on any toes, but looks like I did sorry.
No need to apologize It may leed to some interesting discussion. I am always interested in the whys and wherefores of all the modifications that everyone does, like replacing their old worn out shocks with a different brand and claiming the new brand is the best on the market.
Then we have the opinion factor that comes into play and thats where it really gets interesting. I am a retired engineer and love reading about all the mods people do.
I will pose another question. Why is it that when we buy a car we will drive it for 5-10 years with no mods, but then we buy an RV it needs all these improvements and modifications?
Old 10-05-2011, 12:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
No need to apologize It may leed to some interesting discussion. I am always interested in the whys and wherefores of all the modifications that everyone does, like replacing their old worn out shocks with a different brand and claiming the new brand is the best on the market.
Then we have the opinion factor that comes into play and thats where it really gets interesting. I am a retired engineer and love reading about all the mods people do.
I will pose another question. Why is it that when we buy a car we will drive it for 5-10 years with no mods, but then we buy an RV it needs all these improvements and modifications?
Makes ya wonder don't it.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:51 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
bbeane,,,
Quote:
All good points. I didn't intend to step on any toes, but looks like I did sorry
Mine are still intact........

When I purchased my recent gasser, I considered going to a DP and for two reasons, for the ride and for the quietness of having the engine in the rear. To many old timers talked me out of it because of the mileage I would have put on it verses expense, I wouldn't have used it enough and that is why I went back to gas.
With that being said, my coach is great but it has a really rough ride, true that it is on a truck frame but I do believe the manufacturers could do better job in this regard. But I have what I have and now it is up to me to make the best of it. If my personal pickup rode as bad as this I'd do the same or get rid of it but it doesn't. I can't afford a new new coach!
RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote