Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2010, 10:24 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete & Linda View Post
Walker I don't see chalking, how did you notice it. Like I said when I have problems I will coat before I replace. But with the manufacturer not recommending it I won't use it as a preventive.
I noticed the chalking by the streaks on the sides left by water running off the roof. I also noticed when I washed the roof I washed the residue from the roof that included the chalking. This is for EPDM roofs. Rubber Roof coating doesn't chalk. EPDM roofs chalk and get thinner with age and eventually they need to be replaced. At nine years I took the step of coating my roof and maybe it will pay off in extended life. I already benefit from the absence of chalking. Rubber Roof is EPDM and bonds with EPDM roofs. Note that none of the above applies if you have a Brite-Tek roof.

Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2010, 10:14 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

A couple of things here. The ONLY KoolSeal that can be used on a EPDM roof is part number 63-900 for the top coat and 34-700 for the primer. The top coat HAS to be put over the special primer. The other KoolSeal products contain petroleum products that will eat up a EPDM roof.

You might want to check out DICOR's products since they are one of the main manufactures of EPDM roofs
Dicor - The Components RVs are Born With

A note here: Do not use silicone/RTV sealers on a EPDM roof because they do not bond to the EPDM and will leak again. The only lap sealer that should be used on a EPDM roof is here Dicor - The Components RVs are Born With

Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:51 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
I'm going to coat my roof this spring/ MH is a 99 pace arrow, with a epdm roof.
The roof doesn't leak ever at all, yet, but it looks bad. Not remotely close to white anymore, several areas that are black or nearly so.

But the worst is the chalking. I don't care if everyone in the rv world says it's normal, I cannot stand it another day. EVERY MORNING, the morning dew pours this chalking down, only on my front cap, no where else!! It's so thick I can't see. amd very hard to wash off. No bumper to stand on... Scrub brush on a six foot stick, get the area in front of the camper all wet... or just leave it till it's time to drive on, and it looks like hell and I just can't stand it.

I'm pretty much sold on the "Liquid Roof" product. I like that it's catalyzed. It's gotten some great reviews on a number of forums, I've never read that the coating has failed and come off. From the anecdotes, the stuff sticks and stays put.

I'm wondering about "how much to buy"?
I've read on the forums people do a coach the size of mine with 5 gallons... I calculate 36 times 8 feet = 288 sf
I figure the caps overhangs + the side wraps should be a washout.
The site says 5 gallons will do 210 sf, so I need a 5 gallon pailk plus 2 gallons?
Or a lil extra?
And from someone who's used this stuff, trying to mix the catalyst in a 5 gallon pail does not sound like a good idea. Is it reasonable to pour from that big bucket into one gallon pails and then measure out the correct amount of catalyst?
Old 03-08-2010, 07:10 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Hate that white stuff on the windshield. On my previous motorhome I had to put a new EPDM roof because of a tree ripping it. I still had that white film on my windshield with the new roof. It was coming off the front top fiberglass cap and not the rubber. I even stored the MH with only the front jacks down so the water would run to the back. There is no way with the angle of the MH that the water could get from the rubber part of the roof down the windshield but guess what that white film was still there. I think the best thing to do would have been to get one of those stick on gutters that goes just above the windshield. Camping world sells them.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 07:11 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Hate that white stuff on the windshield. On my previous motorhome I had to put a new EPDM roof because of a tree ripping it. I still had that white film on my windshield with the new roof. It was coming off the front top fiberglass cap and not the rubber. I even stored the MH with only the front jacks down so the water would run to the back. There is no way with the angle of the MH that the water could get from the rubber part of the roof down the windshield but guess what that white film was still there. I think the best thing to do would have been to get one of those stick on gutters that goes just above the windshield. Camping world sells them.
Hmmm, maybe I should clearcoat the top of the cap??
Come to think of it, the condensate from the a/c, which drips down at the front of the awning, doesn't streak the sides much.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:31 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
I'm going to coat my roof this spring/ MH is a 99 pace arrow, with a epdm roof.
The roof doesn't leak ever at all, yet, but it looks bad. Not remotely close to white anymore, several areas that are black or nearly so.

But the worst is the chalking. I don't care if everyone in the rv world says it's normal, I cannot stand it another day. EVERY MORNING, the morning dew pours this chalking down, only on my front cap, no where else!! It's so thick I can't see. amd very hard to wash off. No bumper to stand on... Scrub brush on a six foot stick, get the area in front of the camper all wet... or just leave it till it's time to drive on, and it looks like hell and I just can't stand it.

I'm pretty much sold on the "Liquid Roof" product. I like that it's catalyzed. It's gotten some great reviews on a number of forums, I've never read that the coating has failed and come off. From the anecdotes, the stuff sticks and stays put.

I'm wondering about "how much to buy"?
I've read on the forums people do a coach the size of mine with 5 gallons... I calculate 36 times 8 feet = 288 sf
I figure the caps overhangs + the side wraps should be a washout.
The site says 5 gallons will do 210 sf, so I need a 5 gallon pailk plus 2 gallons?
Or a lil extra?
And from someone who's used this stuff, trying to mix the catalyst in a 5 gallon pail does not sound like a good idea. Is it reasonable to pour from that big bucket into one gallon pails and then measure out the correct amount of catalyst?

You need to contact this company... Minnesota RV Roofing

I just purchsaed their kit a few weeks ago. I just put on the second coat Sunday. They sell a COMPLETE kit, brushes, rollers, fabric tape, and the roofing material. They were a good company to deal with. I have a 38 foot coach. I ordered the 7 gallon kit, and I put it on thick. I still have some left. VERY pleased with the outcome. The material bonds to the old EPDM material, and becomes one with it. If you PM me your phone number, I would be more than happy to talk to you about it on the phone....and send you some pictures via email....

Brad
Old 03-09-2010, 09:21 AM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Maybe I'm stupid... but I went to the Dicor and Minnesota Roofing websites, and for the life of me I can't figure out how to order anything, or even find pricing. The Dicor website is particularly frustrating, since they have a "shopping cart"-- just can't find a way to shop! --?
<edit> ok, not entirely true, I found I CAN buy parts for wheel covers...but not much else?
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:08 PM   #22

Playitforward, just call them. I think it is an older couple who owns the business, and might not be that internet savvy. They were very nice to deal with, and I was happy with their product. IIRC, it was a tad over $600 bucks for the kit to do a 40 foot coach.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:40 PM   #23

rubber roof

the products name is PRO GUARD LIQUID ROOF IT IS $110.00 PER GALLON,, COVERS ABOUT 3 TO 4 HUNDRED SQUARE FT PER GALLON,, CLEAN THE ROOF FIRST WITH A PRODUCT CALLED XYLENE,, DO NOT PUT ANY OIL BASE COVERING ON YOUR RUBBER ROOF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU CAN BUY THIS AT MOST RV SUPPLY STORES DAVID LEE