Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2010, 09:01 PM   #1

rubber roof coating

hello I am looking into buying KOOL SEAL RUBBER ROOF TOP COAT has anyone used the product I need some info please,,, thanks Dave

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2010, 10:07 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
David-Lee: I'm curious, why do you want to coat your rubber roof? I've had two coach's with rubber roofs and all I ever did was scrub them down with a soft brush and house hold soap if possible twice a year. Actually, I used Borax soap and only problem I had with it was trying to keep my wife out of it. Unless you have leak or something that should be fixed before any coating, you might be spending un-necessaray money. But that's just my opinion.

Marty

Old 03-04-2010, 11:14 PM   #3

marty ,,,, my coach is a 1995 bounder,, it is 15 years old,,, it is washed twice a year and has the proper treatment applied after,,,, the rubber is turing black,, I was told that when it start's to turn black,, it's almost at it's end of its life span,, so I thought I would coat it before it fails David
Old 03-04-2010, 11:19 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
The rubber roof on our 1995 Party Cruiser started going bad 5 years ago- it shrinks and becomes brittle and just turns to dust. Rubber roofs are good, but not invincible...
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:26 PM   #5

I used Snow Roof Elastometric Roof coating and ElastoSeal Primer. I did this on an aluminum roof. Based on what I had read via internet searches, Snow Roof was a better product than Kool Seal. The Primer is an important step, not to be skipped. It helps the roof to last longer.

Product Catalog
Old 03-05-2010, 12:13 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a rubber roof (E.P.D.M.) and the instruction sheet says NOT to put any type of coating or protectant on the Rubber Membrane as it may damage it. They say to clean and inspect it twice a year. What have you been using on yours.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:30 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rubber roof's on any make or mfg. are like a Vinyl top that used to be on auto's. After extreme heat day after day, they start to shrink and must have somekind of treatment. You are correct as when they loose their color and turn black and become brittle, you have two choices, either replace the complete rubber roof, or treat it with some type of coating. There are several different products on the market, some require primer and some do not. I have used the one (1) step process on my Southwind with good results, and will continue to do so due to the cost of replacement. It's kinda like your shoes, wear them in the rain without any protection and sooner or later their gone. JMHO. good luck, safe travels.
David G.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:01 AM   #8

EPDM roofs DO NOT need 'some sort of treatment'

Just sold my 90 Bounder with the original roof on it. All we ever did to it was hose it down about twice a year and keep the edges and vents sealed with Dicor lap sealant. Still looked just fine when the new owner looked it over. No black spots and no leaks. And yes, it gets plenty hot here in Houston in the summer.

Plan to care for the TPO roof on our new Damon the same way.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:27 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My EPDM Roof has a 12 year warranty and like it says...does not need any type of coating or treatment for ultra-violet or ozone protection. Just wash and seal. They say you can even use a mixture of bleach and water...they recommend comet. Mine is a 2004 and is stored outside and looks fine and no stains. If it starts to crack or go bad I will then check into a coating.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:16 AM   #10

On my 2000 EPDM roof I coated it with Liquid Roof last summer. I figured it would extend the life of the roof and stop the chalking that I was getting. The chalking has stopped and the coated roof is bright white. I am glad I did this since I plan to keep my MH for quite a while.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:40 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Walker I don't see chalking, how did you notice it. Like I said when I have problems I will coat before I replace. But with the manufacturer not recommending it I won't use it as a preventive.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:03 PM   #12

it's me again,, I've heard a lot of positive remarks about coating my rubber roof,,, how about any BAD things,, that have happened ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, thanks David

95 bounder p-30 454 vortex
Old 03-05-2010, 07:15 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
FWIW, our bad rubber roof never turned black at all. Just shrunk, and formed holes as it pulled itself apart, and the edges of the holes slowly disintegrated.

And if your going to consider something from a bucket to seal an EPDM roof other than a new sheet of rubber, then you really should consider buying roll-able EPDM rubber in a bucket. because NOTHING else on this planet will stick to old EPDM. 2 springs ago I primered and sealed the whole roof with Kool-Seal, and before summer was over the entire layer came off the old rubber in one big piece...

Just my experience...
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:58 PM   #14

PLAYITFORWARD,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, JUST THE KIND OF QUOTE iWAS LOOKING FOR THANK YOU SO MUCH DAVID

95 BOUNDER P-30 454 VORTEX