Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2013, 09:46 PM   #1

Rubber roof issues.

Hello. This is my first post after reading for the last few years.
I recently purchased my motorhome and today was the first time I cleaned the roof. I brought the soft brush up there and the hose. It was starting to turn green from where it had been stored. I'm not sure how many years it was under those trees or if the roof had ever been cleaned. It's a 2000 and has 25k on it. When I put the water up there some of the material started to peel away. I wasn't using high pressure or a stiff brush. It just lifted off like a thin layer of sunburnt skin. Luckily I have some clear weather for the next few days but I'm really nervous about the material and don't know what to do. Thanks for reading.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2013, 11:03 PM   #2

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1397789552.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	448.9 KB
ID:	47378

Here you can see the layer that just peeled off with light water pressure.

Old 10-06-2013, 11:06 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I don't think that's the roofing, I think someone put a coating of some type on the real roofing and it's coming off.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:13 PM   #4

Should I scrub this stuff off? Or leave it and apply some type of sealant over the top? It looks as if most of this will be coming off with a little water but there might be some bits left behind.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:27 AM   #5

Sparks912, I'm with Mr_D I think it's a coating of something put on it and it was not prepared right. So is been sometime and what ever it is is peeling out.
If it were me I'd take and look under one or both A/C 's to see if they coated it under them and then determine what to do. But I believe it's a coating of what someone used. Or, you could take to a RV service center that you trust and let them look at it. Just to have peace if mind.
Donald"Dr.Don"Watkins
MSgt USAF Ret
Old 10-07-2013, 07:28 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would have to agree with the others. Someone applied a coating of some type.
I would leave it alone. You may do more harm trying to remove it all.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:49 AM   #7

Could it be ZEP?? Not sure if it can be used on your roof material, but it does look like what you are describing. Ask my neighbor how we know :bang head:
Old 10-07-2013, 09:47 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Use a power washer and take it all off.
The roof looks like new under all the dirt & mold.

Same stuff on top of the AC covers. Dirt/Mold
Old 10-07-2013, 10:03 AM   #9
doc

Appalachian Campers
Think about this. This coating, whatever it is, is not doing anything to protect the rood of prevent leaks if it is loose and peeling off. Like rust on steel or rot on wood, you need to get to solid base and work from there. Get rid of it. I might be careful with high pressure spray, but used judiciously, that seems to be the ticket for easy removal. With that removal will come some high potential for leaks so it might be a good idea to have shelter or a tarp or such handy in case you get a storm during the process.
I would re-caulk the joints and roof penetrations (vents, AC, antenna etc). If the original roof is in pretty good shape you may be fine. If not, then there is any number of good rubber roof coatings that, if applied right, will last for years. Post more pics (if you can) as the project goes forward.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks912 View Post
Hello. This is my first post after reading for the last few years.
I recently purchased my motorhome and today was the first time I cleaned the roof. I brought the soft brush up there and the hose. It was starting to turn green from where it had been stored. I'm not sure how many years it was under those trees or if the roof had ever been cleaned. It's a 2000 and has 25k on it. When I put the water up there some of the material started to peel away. I wasn't using high pressure or a stiff brush. It just lifted off like a thin layer of sunburnt skin. Luckily I have some clear weather for the next few days but I'm really nervous about the material and don't know what to do. Thanks for reading.

Sparks912,
Well Sir, the answers you've been given are good ones. Rubber roofs, and the later styles/makes, are for the most part, fairly durable in terms of just "lasting". But, they are not very strong when it comes to physical damage like tree branches etc. Although that does not happen very often. Yes, I'd get down, dirty and up close with your roof to see what's actually happening.

I'm not a fan of rubber roofs but, I tolerated one for about 7 years. Ours was on a '99 Fleetwood Bounder 34V on the F-53 chassis and V-10. While it never leaked and, physically was intact, the white was wearing off at a fair pace. At the time I decided to do something about it, the coach was 10 years old and had never been covered. So, I did a bit of research and decided to use the "Dicor" two step process. Long story short, it was a long, hard, single, HOT day and, all the work was done, in that one day.

I'm only telling you all this because, if you find that, that "Peeling" is only some ill-prepped coating, it most likely can be done again only the right way. If it does come off, without too much trouble, I'd recommend the Dicor process. The main reason is, many of the rubber roofs were manufactured by Dicor so, I just figured they'd know what would "stick" to their roof.

Below is a picture (many on here have seen it) of it right after it was done. That roof, was about 70% pure "BLACK" due to the white coating just deteriorating off in the elements. That coating was put on that roof almost 5 years ago, and had never been under a cover, and looks as good today as it did, the minute we finished it. Just some info for you to ponder here.
Scott

FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:47 PM   #11

Scott, the picture to sent didn't show up. Would you mind telling us what was the material you used. Start to finish, please. I would to like to know, my roof is just about at that point where I'm going to have to make a decision as what to do. Replace the roof with the original TPO roof or RHINO roof as in on YOUTUBE or RVROOF.COM. I'm looking toward the rvroofing.com procedure. At the cost of $145.00 per linear foot. And my coach is 40 feet long. I'm not sure how much the RHINO roof cost. When it comes to these RV's nothing is cheap. So, would you please tell me what it is you used and the procedure . Thanks
Donald"Dr.Don"Watkins
MSgt USAF Ret
Old 10-07-2013, 11:21 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Dicor doesn't manufacture much, if any, of the roofing products they sell, they are a wholesaler of the materials made by someone else. They supply most of the materials used by the RV manufacturers. You can see that when you go to their site. www.dicor.com
But they would still be a good source of information.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:31 PM   #13

Thank you, Mr_D.
Dr.Don
Old 10-08-2013, 11:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by donwat91 View Post
Scott, the picture to sent didn't show up. Would you mind telling us what was the material you used. Start to finish, please. I would to like to know, my roof is just about at that point where I'm going to have to make a decision as what to do. Replace the roof with the original TPO roof or RHINO roof as in on YOUTUBE or RVROOF.COM. I'm looking toward the rvroofing.com procedure. At the cost of $145.00 per linear foot. And my coach is 40 feet long. I'm not sure how much the RHINO roof cost. When it comes to these RV's nothing is cheap. So, would you please tell me what it is you used and the procedure . Thanks
Donald"Dr.Don"Watkins
MSgt USAF Ret
donwat91,
Not sure why the pic does not show up on your computer, this is the first time I've had that happen. Most folks get it without issue. But, computers are computers and, if they're not set up just right, they throw fits.
Anyways, the product I used was a Dicor product and sold by Camping World. It's a coating, very similar to Latex paint only with a lot more rubber like features. The system, also incorporates a "prep/primer" for it too.

The instruction say:
1. Wash roof thoroughly with soap and water.
2. Apply "Primer/Prep" with a Hudson (garden) type sprayer.
3. Let sit for a short while.
4. "Power wash off" with a high pressure power washer.
5. Let dry. Then, apply first coat of coating
6. Let dry. Then, apply second coat of coating.
7. DONE!

Now, this like stated earlier, was all done on one day, a 95 degree day I might add. So, some serious sweating was had by both my son and I. But, the effort was well worth it.

Now, you talk of the Rhino type coating. If we had a coach, with a rubber roof and we really, really liked that coach and had no inkling of changing for quite a while, I'd do a Rhino type coating in a heartbeat. While I personally have not talked with any who've done it, the ones I've seen are superior to any other type of RV roof on the planet. You can have a party up there (if the weight could handle it) and not be scared one bit about any, ANY form of damage. I mean, if you can throw engine blocks at it in the back of a pickup, on the roof there's nothing short of running into the bottom side of a bridge that would even touch that stuff. Your call.
Scott

FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote