Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-08-2016, 12:19 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
sanjboltfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3
Rubber Roof Paint and Prep.

I need to paint the roof on my rubberized roof. The problem is that the roof rubber wraps around to the sides about 5 inches, which got beautifully painted about 3 years ago...but, where they painted the rubber roof portion that wraps to the sides has serious peeling issues. Should I just paint the white roof over the painted portion that wraps to the sides? Should I use some sort of a paint stripper on that paint, and if so what can you use on the rubberized roof? I am planning on using the 2 stage Dicor roof coating. Will the stage 1 of the paint prep remove that peeling paint. I am just not sure where to go with this. Any help would be great.
__________________

__________________
sanjboltfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2016, 06:14 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 80
There is an excellent thread on the site.


Liquid rubber and eternabond five years after. Advice?
__________________

__________________
MrNiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:36 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
FIRE UP's Avatar


 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Out there, somewhere
Posts: 5,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjboltfan View Post
I need to paint the roof on my rubberized roof. The problem is that the roof rubber wraps around to the sides about 5 inches, which got beautifully painted about 3 years ago...but, where they painted the rubber roof portion that wraps to the sides has serious peeling issues. Should I just paint the white roof over the painted portion that wraps to the sides? Should I use some sort of a paint stripper on that paint, and if so what can you use on the rubberized roof? I am planning on using the 2 stage Dicor roof coating. Will the stage 1 of the paint prep remove that peeling paint. I am just not sure where to go with this. Any help would be great.
sanjboltfan,
Well Sir, not to be too "authorative" here but, who'm ever decided to "Paint" that turn-down of the rubber roof, made a big mistake. There are only a few coatings on the market that will stick to those roofs. And, it sounds like the one that was picked at the time, is not one of them. Now, I've done every bit of what you're thinking of doing and, with the same product, the Dicor 2-part system.

It's quite a bit of work, even without the removal of the "non sticking" paint (that shouldn't have been put on a rubber roof in the first place). I'm not a specialist in paints and, potential products in removal but, maybe if I were you, the first thing I'd do is, get some chips off that radius and, take them to a paint supplies like, Frazees, Sherwin Williams, maybe Home Depot or Lowes, and have them analyze just what kind of paint it is and, what might be a good paint remover for it, and yet not do any damage to your rubber roof.

Now, once all that old paint is off, you've got a bit of work ahead of you. We did it all in one day. It was a long and laborious day. We started at about 07:00 in the morning and, finished up about 4:00 or 5:00 that same day.

1. A thorough washing with a good soap and water and, a good stiff brush.
2. A thorough rinsing.
3. Then apply the step one prep material for the Dicor. It's supposed to be applied with a something like a garden sprayer for a real good coating.
4. Now, you're supposed to "pressure wash" that off.
One side note, that prep material is pretty strong so, a bit of advice here, if your coach has nice paint or, nicely waxed gel coat sides, then have helper with a garden hose keep rinsing the side walls while you pressure wash the top off. That will lessen the potential damage to the sidewalls finish.

5. Once that top is completely dry from pressure washing, it's time to apply the first coat of Dicor. It's a serious bodied paint. About like painting with runny toothpaste. It really won't run on you when you cruise over the radius's of the sides. You can tape off surfaces that you don't want any Dicor to stick to if you like. I was just careful when I applied mine. I used a nice, thick 4" brush when I was detailing in close to things. For the field, I used whatever Dicor called for in a roller or, maybe a medium nap roller.

6. When that first coat is dry, on goes the second coat. What helped us in doing all this in one day was the fact that is 95 degrees out when we were doing all this and, we were doing it in the direct sun, NOT FUN!

But, in the end, when it was all said and done, it by far, was waaaaaay worth the effort. We kept that coach for another five years and then, sold it to our daughter and son-in-law. They kept if for two years and sold it. That roof looked the same 7 years after it was done, as when I did it that hot summer day. Dicor is a great product. But, care must be taken to follow all the prep steps, as directed. Good luck.
Scott

Here's what it looked like when we were done!
__________________
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:54 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
chboone's Avatar


 
National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Horse Town USA, CA.
Posts: 2,933
I am going to coat the roof on my 99 Dolphin this spring. The only thing I have and will use is Liquid EPDM. I used it on my Avion 5th wheel over 6 years ago and it still looks like the day after it was finished. It is 1 coat application, mix in the catalyst put it on and your finished no waiting for a second coat. Since you have a Fleetwood make sure you read the note about needing the primer first.

Liquid Roof, Solution For RV Roof Leaks Repair - EPDM Coatings
__________________
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 03:23 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 1
How many gallons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
sanjboltfan,
Well Sir, not to be too "authorative" here but, who'm ever decided to "Paint" that turn-down of the rubber roof, made a big mistake. There are only a few coatings on the market that will stick to those roofs. And, it sounds like the one that was picked at the time, is not one of them. Now, I've done every bit of what you're thinking of doing and, with the same product, the Dicor 2-part system.

It's quite a bit of work, even without the removal of the "non sticking" paint (that shouldn't have been put on a rubber roof in the first place). I'm not a specialist in paints and, potential products in removal but, maybe if I were you, the first thing I'd do is, get some chips off that radius and, take them to a paint supplies like, Frazees, Sherwin Williams, maybe Home Depot or Lowes, and have them analyze just what kind of paint it is and, what might be a good paint remover for it, and yet not do any damage to your rubber roof.

Now, once all that old paint is off, you've got a bit of work ahead of you. We did it all in one day. It was a long and laborious day. We started at about 07:00 in the morning and, finished up about 4:00 or 5:00 that same day.

1. A thorough washing with a good soap and water and, a good stiff brush.
2. A thorough rinsing.
3. Then apply the step one prep material for the Dicor. It's supposed to be applied with a something like a garden sprayer for a real good coating.
4. Now, you're supposed to "pressure wash" that off.
One side note, that prep material is pretty strong so, a bit of advice here, if your coach has nice paint or, nicely waxed gel coat sides, then have helper with a garden hose keep rinsing the side walls while you pressure wash the top off. That will lessen the potential damage to the sidewalls finish.

5. Once that top is completely dry from pressure washing, it's time to apply the first coat of Dicor. It's a serious bodied paint. About like painting with runny toothpaste. It really won't run on you when you cruise over the radius's of the sides. You can tape off surfaces that you don't want any Dicor to stick to if you like. I was just careful when I applied mine. I used a nice, thick 4" brush when I was detailing in close to things. For the field, I used whatever Dicor called for in a roller or, maybe a medium nap roller.

6. When that first coat is dry, on goes the second coat. What helped us in doing all this in one day was the fact that is 95 degrees out when we were doing all this and, we were doing it in the direct sun, NOT FUN!

But, in the end, when it was all said and done, it by far, was waaaaaay worth the effort. We kept that coach for another five years and then, sold it to our daughter and son-in-law. They kept if for two years and sold it. That roof looked the same 7 years after it was done, as when I did it that hot summer day. Dicor is a great product. But, care must be taken to follow all the prep steps, as directed. Good luck.
Scott

Here's what it looked like when we were done!
This is great information! I have the same size coach. How many gallons did you use?
__________________
scruggsfam4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 03:51 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
FIRE UP's Avatar


 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Out there, somewhere
Posts: 5,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by scruggsfam4 View Post
This is great information! I have the same size coach. How many gallons did you use?
It's been quite some time since my son and I did that roof. If I recall, the recommended amount for that size roof was four gallons. I thought, Huh? But, I bought four, just to be safe. Well, after the second coat, which was required, I figured that was enough. I took back, 2 gallons of it. So, in reality, if done correctly, 2 gallons will be all that's needed.
Scott
__________________
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:08 PM   #7
Senior Member - DIYer
 
Waiter21's Avatar


 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 3,387
I just re-coated mine. took lust under 5 gallons for a 30 ft Mirada.

Re-coating EPDM roof | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

..
__________________

__________________
1999 Fleetwood Southwind 35S (Ford F53 6.8L V10) - Toad 2003 Saturn Vue.
(www.1999Southwind.com)

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
paint, roof



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Roof coating and prep TQ60 iRV2.com General Discussion 2 08-28-2015 08:40 PM
Flex Seal Spray Rubber On Rubber Roof rideandslide Travel Trailer Discussion 4 09-21-2014 07:51 AM
Rubber roof covered with a white paint - should I do UV maintenance? Dave1194 Class A Motorhome Discussions 4 03-08-2014 07:33 AM
Roof question - voids between the rubber and the roof deck? JRMEDPHYS Class A Motorhome Discussions 9 06-03-2013 09:25 AM
Rubber Sheild - rubber roof protectant Warpath Gear and Product Discussions 33 09-22-2006 09:42 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.