Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2010, 10:13 AM   #1

Rubber roof question

We live in the Pacific Northwest where there is quite a lot of winter moisture and wind.

We just bought a used RV after the dealer resealed the skylight and airconditioner in the roof as there had been a small leak, but did not put the stuff that you are supposed to spread all over a rubber roof - sorry - having a middle aged moment - all over the roof.

It is now in the 50's during the day and the 40's at night. Is it too late/cold to "paint" the rubber roof with that stuff?

Also, most people with RVs here do not purchase covers because they fear mold between the cover and roof; some argue forcefully for covers.

Opinions? Suggestions?

Thank you.
begete is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2010, 10:50 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No need to do anything to your rubber roof if it is in good condition.

Some folks will scrub it down and put a "conditioner" on it which can minimize some of the "chalky" runoff, but a rubber roof really doesn't need anything but occasional cleaning.

If your rubber roof is old and in poor condition, you can put an acrylic or rubberized coating on it to get a few more years of life out of it, but I wonder if that is really what you are looking for.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:09 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
There is a product out there called Eternabond Tape it comes in various widths I believe 6 inches is the largest, I recently used the 4" to seal my two end caps where they join to the roof... It is an unbelievably easy product to use and has residential grade protection.. it would work great around your skylight seals, it comes in white and grey. You can get it at roofing stores and some R.V stores.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:50 PM   #4

You will not get mold with covers. They are breathable. The only problem I have ever found with them is if it snows, thaws, then re-freezes the cover will stick to the roof making it impossible to get off should you wish to use your motor home in the winter. I have wrecked a couple of new covers due to this condition.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick-B View Post
No need to do anything to your rubber roof if it is in good condition.

Some folks will scrub it down and put a "conditioner" on it which can minimize some of the "chalky" runoff, but a rubber roof really doesn't need anything but occasional cleaning.

If your rubber roof is old and in poor condition, you can put an acrylic or rubberized coating on it to get a few more years of life out of it, but I wonder if that is really what you are looking for.
Nick, How do you judge if a rubber roof needs just cleaning & dressing or a re-coating?
Thanks, Ron
Hocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:28 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

If the rubber coating is gone and you can see the weave of the underlying fabric in numerous places, it is time to replace or recover the roof. If just a few places are worn away, you can patch them or cover with Eternabond tape, but if the wear is widespread, it is best to coat the entire roof with an elastomeric product like Liquid Roof or Koolseal RV Topcoat.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:58 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am now aware of any product you are supposed to put ALL OVER a rubber roof save for Spic & Span mixed with water (Cleaning)

Spring and fall it is recommended you get up there with a mop and bucket and garden hose and save for one step treat it like a kitchen floor.

In the bucket,, Spic & span, And some water from said hose.

Mop the roof (I use a "Van wash" car wash brush instead of a mop.. I feel it does a better job.. Have done it both ways. The Van Wash brush is a car wash brush with a full length "mop" handle. or a telescoping handle, extends to full length)

With a kitchen I'd then go over it a 2nd time with clear water (Rinse) with the roof..... Well the garden hose is way easier.

On edit: While you are up there.. Remove the cover from your Air Conditioner and clean whatever inside looks like it could stand cleaning... Your power cord will thank you.. Mine did.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:26 PM   #8

Thanks Gary,
Found 1 corner with a small hole & patched it with eternabond tape. Happened to stop into a dealer/repair facility & asked him to check the roof. He said, yep for $500. We can coat the whole roof, it's time. Hmm,needs to be cleaned but I picked some cleaner/conditioner at another location & soon as it warms up, I'm going to use it. Is the roof a favorite money maker for some shops? 28 ft Class C River Forest
Hocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:22 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocky View Post
Nick, How do you judge if a rubber roof needs just cleaning & dressing or a re-coating?
Thanks, Ron
Hi Ron, Since your motorhome is only 6 years old, I doubt the roof needs anything other than a good scrubdown like wa8yxm recommends.

BTW, I like your mural-happy GoldWing. I have a '95 SE in Pearl White(no murals ).
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote