Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2015, 08:16 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Rubber roof water penetration

I have a rubber roof with almost all the white coloring gone. The rubber seems strong with no tears or visible holes. I plan on resurfacing soon. I keep getting leaks no matter how much I cauck the the skylights and vents. Can water penetrate the rubber with out the white surface? What I'm asking is does the rubber have a saturation point where it will let water pass through it? Like Cotten tarps, they work great till they get so wet that they start letting water pass through them.

Thank you for any advice.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2015, 10:07 AM   #2

Looks like it is time for a recoat.

Liquid roof is one option but not sure what is best.

Watching this one as a friend has same scenario...

Old 10-03-2015, 11:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vac4lf View Post
I have a rubber roof with almost all the white coloring gone. The rubber seems strong with no tears or visible holes. I plan on resurfacing soon. I keep getting leaks no matter how much I cauck the the skylights and vents. Can water penetrate the rubber with out the white surface? What I'm asking is does the rubber have a saturation point where it will let water pass through it? Like Cotten tarps, they work great till they get so wet that they start letting water pass through them.

Thank you for any advice.
Vac4lf,
No, that rubber membrane will NOT allow water to pass through it simply because the white outer coating has worn away. Ours was exactly like that on our previous coach, a '99 Fleetwood Bounder 34V with the F-53 and V-10. Our roof was almost completely black. Well you know what a BLACK roof does for the temperature inside the coach don't you? it get's HOT.

So, it was time for a coating. I did a bit of research and found out the best possible coating for that roof was made by Dicor. So, off to Camping World we went. It was not all that cheap. But, I got not only the coating but, a special prep/primer that is mandatory to be used first.

Now, here's the deal. The roof is to be washed thoroughly with a good brush, SOAP and water. Then, the primer/prep is applied with a garden sprayer. Then that primer/prep is PRESSURE WASHED OFF, YES I SAID PRESSURE WASHED!!!!

Once that's dry, you're ready for the first coat of the coating. It's like paint only quite a bit thicker. Once that coat is good and dry, you're ready for a second coat. Two coats is all that's needed. Now, here's the thing, ALL OF THIS IS TO BE DONE IN ONE DAY!!

They don't want any contamination between applications. And, we (my son and I) picked a doozy of a day to do it. It was 95 outside that day. A bit of sweat, no biggie. Anyway, take a look at the results. I'd not do it any different. That roof is now 7 years old and looks the exact same as when we did it.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:50 AM   #4

I've had leaks from the AC unit. There is a big rubber gasket that sits between unit and the roof. You may need to simply tighten the bolts holding the AC unit to solve the problem or it may be time to replace it. Agree with others that unless there is a tear in the rubber, the roof is most likely not the problem. Just something to check. Where the water comes out may be different from where the leak point is.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 02:26 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
watching
Old 10-05-2015, 03:36 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I disagree with with fire Up. EPDM roof membrane is a waterproof rubber layer on a fabric backing. Once the upper layer erodes away, the underlying fabric is porous. "Black" could be just mold & dirt, but if you can see the weave in the backing material, it is probably letting water in. Still, I think you are more likely to have a seam leak elsewhere than to get much water in through seepage. The source of a leak can be very hard to find. What about side seams and end seams, antennas, plumbing vents, and so on? Lots of places that can leak.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Vac4lf,
No, that rubber membrane will NOT allow water to pass through it simply because the white outer coating has worn away. Ours was exactly like that on our previous coach, a '99 Fleetwood Bounder 34V with the F-53 and V-10. Our roof was almost completely black. Well you know what a BLACK roof does for the temperature inside the coach don't you? it get's HOT.

So, it was time for a coating. I did a bit of research and found out the best possible coating for that roof was made by Dicor. So, off to Camping World we went. It was not all that cheap. But, I got not only the coating but, a special prep/primer that is mandatory to be used first.

Now, here's the deal. The roof is to be washed thoroughly with a good brush, SOAP and water. Then, the primer/prep is applied with a garden sprayer. Then that primer/prep is PRESSURE WASHED OFF, YES I SAID PRESSURE WASHED!!!!

Once that's dry, you're ready for the first coat of the coating. It's like paint only quite a bit thicker. Once that coat is good and dry, you're ready for a second coat. Two coats is all that's needed. Now, here's the thing, ALL OF THIS IS TO BE DONE IN ONE DAY!!

They don't want any contamination between applications. And, we (my son and I) picked a doozy of a day to do it. It was 95 outside that day. A bit of sweat, no biggie. Anyway, take a look at the results. I'd not do it any different. That roof is now 7 years old and looks the exact same as when we did it.
Scott

Did you use a paint roller? If so did it leave any roller bumps?
Old 10-05-2015, 10:47 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Vac4lf,

Scott

That turned out NICE!! worth the work I'd say.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:51 AM   #9

I believe your RV is 20 years old. I feel it would be in your best interest to replace, rather than repair, your current roof material.
Mich F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 01:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I disagree with with fire Up. EPDM roof membrane is a waterproof rubber layer on a fabric backing. Once the upper layer erodes away, the underlying fabric is porous. "Black" could be just mold & dirt, but if you can see the weave in the backing material, it is probably letting water in. Still, I think you are more likely to have a seam leak elsewhere than to get much water in through seepage. The source of a leak can be very hard to find. What about side seams and end seams, antennas, plumbing vents, and so on? Lots of places that can leak.
Gary,
On our coach, which was 10 years old at the time, YES, the white had almost worn completely off. The roof was almost completely BLACK. And, it was not mold or dirt or anything but, rubber. When in prep for the coating I was going to put on, I scrubbed very aggressively with a stiff brush and good soap and water. That process, along with the pressure washing of the prep/primer made by Dicor, took more white off.

No, I was not THROUGH the membrane. It was black rubber. Now, I have no idea what's below the membrane. If you say it's a weave, well, I have no reason to doubt you. But, I saw no weave.

I don't like RUBBER roofs, period. This is a preference thing only. Many on here and out there in RV land have had good luck with them and, will continue to have no issues with them. I simply don't like them. I vowed to not get another coach with one.

But, with all that being said, If I had a coach with one and, we really like the coach but, it was at a point at which the membrane needed to be severely repaired or, replaced, I'd opt for the "Rhino Lining" application of a new roof. They're not all that expensive and, without a doubt, the strongest, most durable roof on the market. In the end, its' all one piece, right over all the radius's. I've seen many done and, it's a very, very stout process and finish.

But, again, this is a preference thing. As for the person that asked about me using a roller when I did the re-coat, well, that was quite a while ago and, if there was little "bumps" from the nap of the roller, they didn't amount to anything that would hold dirt or dust or debris. The Dicor coating is as stated, like a thick paint. But, we did it in the high heat of the day, (just a bit of SWEAT!)

I thank all who've made nice comments. It was LABOR, THAT'S FOR SURE. It was truly nice to have a son that was capable AND WILLING to help on such an intense, gut-wrenching, heated day. That roof turned out so bright that we both had to wear sun glasses for the end of the first and, the second full coats. It was like being SNOW BLINDED in 95 degree heat!
Scott

P.S. I just wish I'd have taken pics of the roof before I started to show the bad deterioration of the original rubber white coat.
Scott
Old 10-06-2015, 04:48 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Yea, I looked and looked but can find no leaks. I have it insured so we will see what progressive has to say about it. They are sending out a claims agent. Hopefully insurance will cover the repairs. If not I have one of those high end RV with a built in swimming pool for sale if anyone one is interested.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:27 AM   #12

Please report back what Progressive says. It would surprise me if they covered a leak that was not caused by an accident, or some sudden event such as a limb causing a rip. But good luck.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 11:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
Please report back what Progressive says. It would surprise me if they covered a leak that was not caused by an accident, or some sudden event such as a limb causing a rip. But good luck.
Yeah, I too would be REALLY surprised if Progressive did ANY compensation on just a leak. But, I guess stranger things have happened.
Scott

Tags
leak, leaks, roof, water, white surface