Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2006, 04:48 PM   #1

Rubber Entry Stair Treads

Loving spouse has seen that in many new MHs the inside stairs have rubber or vinyl stair treads instead of carpet. She thinks this is good and would be easier to keep clean and track in less. Since she thinks it would be good, it therefore would be good. I can certianly get rubber or vinyl stair treads. Question is should I install them over the existing carpet - probably screw through the carpet into wood - or would it be better to remove the carpet and put in directly on what I assume is wood underlay? Experience or ideas about this?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2006, 04:48 PM   #2

Loving spouse has seen that in many new MHs the inside stairs have rubber or vinyl stair treads instead of carpet. She thinks this is good and would be easier to keep clean and track in less. Since she thinks it would be good, it therefore would be good. I can certianly get rubber or vinyl stair treads. Question is should I install them over the existing carpet - probably screw through the carpet into wood - or would it be better to remove the carpet and put in directly on what I assume is wood underlay? Experience or ideas about this?

Old 08-01-2006, 05:12 PM   #3

while I can't say how hard it is to remove the carpet and then lay the vinyl, I believe I would. The carpet would leave the vinyl spongie and not safe to walk on in a hurry. Our other MH had carpet. The big problem carpet has was the dirt it retains. The vinyl like on our new MH is very easy to clean. We put one of those door mats with the little fingers that stand up on the first rung thagt we cut to fit, to clean our feet off--when I sometimes forget to remove my shoes. s/Toby
Old 08-01-2006, 05:19 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I just checked under my treads because I was replacing my elect stairs I had to mount new holes for bolts. When I lift up one corner the tread is glued down to a plywood surface the plywood was added to build up tread to be even with door tread. Your other steps should have plywood for stairs under carpet. Remove carpet than glue new treads to plywood. Trim new tread to fit than glue down. Face of stairs also have rubber/vinyl. Treads stand up very well if they do wear just replace.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 05:24 PM   #5

Rainbow, In last coach I instaled rubber over carpet worked fine this way if you ever want to remove them the carpet is there ! This coach came witn vinyl stairs put carpet over them as they were very slipery, The stair treads I bought for other coach came from one of RV mail order places they had to be cut to size but worked just fine.
Good luck, Sorry I can't remember witch co I bought them from.

Earl & Jan

www.gsowners.com/
earljan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 05:17 AM   #6

I had the rubber and could not use a broom to sweep it, had to get the vacumn out.
I had a carpet shop surge the edge of some carpet cut to fit and used velcro to keep them in place. Works fine. Now we can just pick up and shake the sand out.
My steps had a metal stip on the bottom step. I slipped on this several times and have read of people falling and breaking a bone. I think it was Lowe's but I bought some grip tape about two inches wide and put a strip across the metal. Tape is like used on boats.
This made a great improvement.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:24 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by E Z Livin:
I had the rubber and could not use a broom to sweep it, had to get the vacumn out.
I had a carpet shop surge the edge of some carpet cut to fit and used velcro to keep them in place. Works fine. Now we can just pick up and shake the sand out.
My steps had a metal stip on the bottom step. I slipped on this several times and have read of people falling and breaking a bone. I think it was Lowe's but I bought some grip tape about two inches wide and put a strip across the metal. Tape is like used on boats.
This made a great improvement. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

EZ,

We thought the rubber treads on our coach were going to be so much nicer than the carpeted ones on our previous coach until my wife found out that the kids were right, it is just about impossible to sweep out the deep grooves in the rubber treads. We are going to put carpet mats that we can remove and shake out over them. The rubber/vinyl also can get quite slippery when wet.

Regards,
Old 08-04-2006, 03:10 PM   #8

We too are thinking of covering the rubber steps with carpet. The rubber is just too hard to clean.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:25 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bluewind:
We too are thinking of covering the rubber steps with carpet. The rubber is just too hard to clean. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I second the motion on the above two posts. Our Allegro is equipped with rubber steps, I am searching now to find removeable carpet so they can be taken out and shook.

Dieselclacker
Old 08-04-2006, 05:21 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I do have the carpet step pads that velgro down and snap on tread that can be removed for cleaning. They don't cover the whole step but enough to pickup any dirt that you do not get off shoes before entering coach. They clean up very well and come in assorted colors. CW has them.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 06:29 PM   #11

We have the rubber mat type material on our steps. The are a odd shape, so what we do is cut carpet remants to fit the steps.
When they get dirty and need cleaned, we just throw them away and put more down.
The way our steps are shaped and metal strip on the edge of the step holds the carpet remant in place.

The wife loves them because they keep the dirt out of the main area of the coach when the dog and I track in.

Ron

GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:49 PM   #12
PKP

Has any of you removed the rubber tread on the bottom step? If so, how did you accomplish it? I need to remove mine to access the electric step mounting bolts. I need to hold the bolt head while tightening the nuts under the electric stair.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:07 PM   #13

If the rubber steps are catching all that dirt in the grooves that same dirt is in the carpet ,you just can't see it.I have a small whisk broom to clean the dirt out of the grooves.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:53 AM   #14
PKP

We have had rubber treads on our steps for over 9 years. They keep the majority of dirt out of the living spaces. We have 3 dogs. I have a handheld battery vacuum which works great at removing the majority of dirt and sand. I use a small whisk broom to loosen the stubborn stuff. I made a recess in the sidewall and mounted the vac charger in it. So I have the battery vac right where I need it, charged, and out of the way. As others have found, rugs act like a filter, letting fine dirt gather under the rug, where most vacs can't pull it out. We use our heavy duty vac after every trip to keep the rugs relatively clean and spray with ant and roach to keep the insect population in check. I am still looking for some way to remove the rubber tread and plywood first step inside the coach, without destroying the tread and step. Any suggestions?