Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-22-2010, 11:58 AM   #15
Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I see nothing wrong with your procedures ...it probably is actually better for the equipment to be run than to sit unused for long periods of time. I would be likely to leave the refrigerator on too!! As a fulltimer, my ac/heat pump runs nearly every day year round.

Paul (KE5LXU) ...was fulltimin', now parttimin'
'03 Winnebago UA 40e / '05 Honda Odyssey toad
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2010, 02:28 PM   #16
I live in a suburb of FtWorth not near the coast with no humidity problem. I'd like a cover but my HOA Architectural Board requires more than I'm willing to pay; e.g. 8/12 roof pitch and brick exterior. Thanks to all of you, you've made me more comfortable running the AC/furnace to protect the interior. Happy travels.

'06 W Journey,36G,'07 Yukon,Rdmstr, M & G Brake,Alpine Nav, KVH R6, Direct TV, PortaBote Under,
Bill Barclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:35 PM   #17
Tiffin Owners Club
I keep mine on mostly due to Florida's humidity, set the AC at 87'. That's low enough to keep the inside fine. I also have a residential (compressor) refrigerator that I run 24/7. The electric cost is not great and my batteries do fine. The only downside I see is potential lightning surge damage even with surge protection.
2007 Allegro Bus 42 QRP, 400 ISL
wardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:56 PM   #18
Hi Flyfish,

We used to live in the Dallas area before becoming full timers. We parked the motor home in our drive with no cover. In the winter, we used cube heaters to maintain something above freezing when necessary (only a few days a year). For heat mitigation, go to Lowe's and find that bubble aluminum insulation stuff. We cut pieces to fit each window and kept it in there while it was parked. It would cut the inside temps 20 degrees. You could then run the AC if you decided you needed it, but we rarely did as the inside temps were tolerable. It does obviously keep it much darker inside, but less fading and the heat/AC requirements are greatly reduced.
2007 DSDP 4037, fulltiming since January 2007
Our website | Our location
DonnaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:03 PM   #19
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
thats why ours is under cover
i need to add some fans outside to move the stale air.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Under the port1.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	4427   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rough work10.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	4428  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Roof exstension02.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	4429  
USN Retired, Life time member of the DAV.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, no your eyes are fine, there are 6 slides
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:11 PM   #20
Originally Posted by FlyFish View Post
Is something really going to be damaged with inside temps above 100 for several months?
It's pretty much like parking the RV in an oven - hard on plastics, vinyl and glues used to hold LOTS of stuff together in typical RV - not to mention drying wood and the shrinkage and warpage...
John Day....|'88 Winnebago Super Chief 27ft. Class A
Eastern .....|'88 KIT model 240 24 ft. 5er
Oregon ......|'02 Dodge/Cummins 2500 Quad Cab
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:26 PM   #21
For heat mitigation, go to Lowe's and find that bubble aluminum insulation stuff. We cut pieces to fit each window and kept it in there while it was parked. It would cut the inside temps 20 degrees.
If I were going to store mine outside I'd do the same thing. UV is also a killer as it will fade the carpet, wood and cause the plastics to become brittle and degrade adhesives as mentioned before. In addition, keeping it below 100 deg F is also important as high temperatures will also degrade electonics over long term.

'04 Phaeton 38GH
'07 FHLTC - Electra Glide Classic
'08 H3A
Phaetonator is offline   Reply With Quote