Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-21-2010, 08:20 AM   #1
Run Air Cond while in Storage?

I park at my house with 50a connection. I use MH every 3-mths or so. Temperature here in Texas is over 100 inside MH. I worry about electronics and other things? being damaged. Satellite/Direct TV Receivers are almost too hot to touch. So I run AC continuously set on 85. In the winter run furnace set on about 50. What's wrong with this other than premature AC/furnace failure? Got a better idea? Anyone else do this? Thanks.

'06 W Journey,36G,'07 Yukon,Rdmstr, M & G Brake,Alpine Nav, KVH R6, Direct TV, PortaBote Under,
Bill Barclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2010, 08:22 AM   #2
Is something really going to be damaged with inside temps above 100 for several months?

'06 W Journey,36G,'07 Yukon,Rdmstr, M & G Brake,Alpine Nav, KVH R6, Direct TV, PortaBote Under,
Bill Barclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:21 AM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
We've never ran the a/c but this year I turned on the fantastic fan to run if it gets too hot. We just put in Allure flooring and I didn't want any problems there. The fantastic fan seems to be keeping it relatively cool.
krnlueck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:27 PM   #4
Personally I would take the sensitive electrical equipment in the house. Running the A/C and Furnace cost money, wear and tear plus it vastly increases your probabilities of inverter failure, and a fire.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 05:43 PM   #5
Homer, just a quick, and probably dumb question. How would the inverter be involved when he is hooked to 50 amp running the ac?

akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 05:51 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The best thing to do is to put up a shed over the RV and keep the Texas sun off the RV as much as possible. Use the money that you would waste running the A/C units.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:27 PM   #7
The furnace has a 12V motor & controls, so an inverter or converter would most likely be involved. The inverter also kicks in to keep batteries charged even though on A/C he would not be using batteries, still they go into charge mode. At least that is my understanding of the system.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:03 PM   #8
Monaco Owners Club
I also live in Texas and run the air in the summer and heat in the winter. I see no difference in doing this than a motor home that is used full time, except the air and heat get used less as it is closed up and the temp is set to higher for summer and lower for winter. Actually, the inverter is not used to charge the battery, an inverter converts 12 vdc to 110 vac.
Ronnie (WD5GIC) & Jan (WD5IHU)
2003 Monaco Dynasty Countess 42' w/tag, 2012 Ford Flex

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:44 PM   #9
Run AC in storage

FlyFish - Ken has the best idea - putting some kind of cover over the RV will keep the inside temps down, save the roof sealants and covering from deteriorating in the hot sun, cut down on your electrical consumption, and save wear and tear on the AC and furnace units and keep the snow off of the roof- if snow and ice (where applicable) is allowed to collect around the AC units and freezes then melts and re-freezes water will work its way in - I have seen this destroy two class A coaches ceilings inside - if you in an area where there is no snow or ice during the winter but colder temps the furnace still gets used more so than if the RV was used once in a while- that's why park models have heavy duty usually 120 volt furnaces that are made for continous running during the winter - setting your thermostat to a minimum during the colder season will help.
RV Mech Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:36 PM   #10
Actually, he didn't say what part of Texas he was from but if he is from near the coast where it is hot and humid, running the air is not a bad idea even if he has a cover over the MH. This will keep the air circulating inside the unit and keep the humidity down and saving further deteriation of electronics and chasis electrical. Having worked on helicopters for many years along the Gulf of Mexico where they never see a hangar until they come in for major maintenance I know too well what humidity does to electrical and electronics. In the winter, we often put electric space heaters in the cockpit to keep the humidity down and to keep the temperature more temperate. I don't see what he is doing any worse than a full timer living in their MH except he's not there all the time. Saving energy, that's hoot...
'04 Phaeton 38GH
'07 FHLTC - Electra Glide Classic
'08 H3A
Phaetonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:01 AM   #11
I live in AZ and keep mine inside, have a swamp cooler in the storage that helps don't let t dry out put a BIG bucket of water inside the MH it will help and you will be surprised how fast it goes
squeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:07 AM   #12
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
I live in VERY HOT West Texas. As a matter of fact the hight today is supposed to be 100 degrees which means it could be over 100. I have my RV under a shed 24/7 unless we are out in it somewhere. Even under the shed the inside of the motor home still gets close to 100 degrees. I have my a/c set at 85 degrees and have done this since the motor home was bought new. I have not had any problems with anything.

Jerry and Janell & Westie dog Gus (Augustus McCrae)
Navy by record Marine by choice
2005 Bounder 38N DP 300 CAT 2014 Jeep Wrangler
jdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:26 AM   #13
We live in SE Texas, have a garage to store the coach and run the A/C set at about 80 during the summer. Like was stated above, my concern is more the humidity than the heat, although the heat will cause premature failure of the glues used to secure trim (wall paper and cloth type).
2016 Fleetwood Flair 29T
j.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:44 AM   #14
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I live in south Louisiana where the temperature and are usually equally high, 90 or close to 100. I have had three motorhomes in enclosed buildings over the years. I have roof vents on the building and leave the bath and kitchen roof vents open and have never had any problems in the summer. In winter, I use a small electric heater and leave the cabinet doors open . I usualy run it so it stays about 50 or 60 degrees all the time. I close the roof vents in winter.

dajudge is offline   Reply With Quote