Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2019, 06:56 PM   #1

Running HDMI cables to rear

I have a 2008 Fleetwood Discovery. I’ve removed about a wheel barrow full of cables from the area above the radio/behind the TV in the front of the motorhome. Thru several upgrades and previous owners, it was a mess. However, now I’m upgrading tv’s to hi def and I need to run HDMI cables from the front to the back. There are of course, the older coax cables running back there but I can’t really see exactly how they’re getting back there. Also, the end of an HDMI cable is 5 times larger than an RF (coax) cable and I’m very concerned that if I fasten the new HDMI cable to the RF cable and simply pull it, the hdmi end will hang up on something. Anyone with experience willing to offer some insight into doing this job? I’m running cables to a galley tv, a bedroom tv, and an exterior tv...all of which are now running on coax cables. Thanks.
Marty G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2019, 07:17 PM   #2

Might look at under along frame and then up instead of over and down ,Just a thought.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:13 PM   #3

I ran some cables, including a HDMI, from our front cabinet over the ceiling through the A/C duct most of the way in our Newmar to the bedroom TV, but don't know if you have the same option.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:21 PM   #4

I ran some HDMI cable in my coach. I got an endoscope to see what was along the route, and taped it onto some fiberglass wire running rods that I got at Harbor Freight. Once I got the route blazed with the rods, I tied the end of the HDMI onto them and pulled the cable through. It wasn't easy to get it over and through some of the obstacles, but with some shaking of the rods, it finally worked.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:33 PM   #5

You may find this article interesting: How long can a HDMI cable be run?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 09:32 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Do a Google search for “HDMI over coax cable”.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 10:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Do a Google search for “HDMI over coax cable”.
I just did, thanks for the heads up: https://www.hdtvsupply.com/hdmi-over-coax.html
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 05:58 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
An HDMI run that long isn't recommended. You do have a couple of options, you can run HDMI over cat5 you can get the boxes online or at some of the hardware stores or you can pick up a wireless option at WM for about $175. I just installed the wireless option and am very happy with the results.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:21 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I ran a 50' HDMI cable from the front cabinet to the rear bedroom cabinet over the top of my full wall slide inside. Had to cut 2 holes at each end for the connector. Works good.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:32 PM   #10

If your worried about big holes ,,, cut a connector off one end and snake the cable thru. You can splice the connector back onto the cable,,,just a lot of work. I had to splice a HDMI cable (50'er) critters chewed the cable and it was easier to cut and splice rather than run new cable front to back of RV.

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 06:38 AM   #11

Plug the HDMI devices in with the chosen cable and try them with standard and high definition content BEFORE installing the cable. There are lots of varying quality grades of cables and at the longer lengths (more than 3 meters / 10 feet), that's where the issues show up. If you don't get high definition, than try another cable before doing all the work to route the cable.

BTW, cutting / splicing a HDMI cable end is not easy and very prone to issues. Not recommended.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:01 AM   #12

I used a 50' HDMI cable from Monoprice when I ran cables from the front to back of our 40' MADP. It is a substantial cable and the HD in the bedroom is great. It was also very reasonably priced, about $35.

Monoprice Commercial Series High Speed HDMI Cable - 1080p@60Hz, 10.2Gbps, 24AWG, CL2, 50ft, Black, No Logo -

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13779

Tags
cable