Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2017, 10:40 PM   #15

My Dutch Star has a 300 HP Cat engine. On the fuel filter there is a knob on the side that you initially twist left, then it pulls out and you pump it in and out for a loooong time. You may (probably) have to repeat.

I didn't run out, I had a PROFESSIONAL that changed the fuel filters and didn't fill the filters up enough enough. I did learn several new and different terms you can call engines in the process, so it wasn't all lost.
MikeandClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2017, 06:44 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandClaudia View Post
My Dutch Star has a 300 HP Cat engine. On the fuel filter there is a knob on the side that you initially twist left, then it pulls out and you pump it in and out for a loooong time. You may (probably) have to repeat.

I didn't run out, I had a PROFESSIONAL that changed the fuel filters and didn't fill the filters up enough enough. I did learn several new and different terms you can call engines in the process, so it wasn't all lost.
[emoji23]
Newmar_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:15 AM   #17

Sounds like a similar setup to our equipment at work.
Manual prime push plunger and vent the filter.

Of course it's always better to pre fill filter (fuel and diesel) but some newer manufacturs do not recommend it. I know Cummins reasoning is because some people got the little foil bottle seal caps inside the filters and that led to piston oil cooling plugging.

Either way, vent filter and pump away. If injectors are dry crack them loose too after the filter is primed.
1320Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 03:03 PM   #18

Freightliner Owners Club
For the ISB - Cummins states the fuel filter should not be prefilled because the fuel you add has not been filtered and it only takes small particles (about seven - ten thousandths of an inch) to clog the injectors.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 03:27 PM   #19
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I've been told by my diesel mechanic that I don't want to run out of diesel! I'm gonna take his word for it and never let it get below 1/4 tank!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 06:04 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Fingers View Post
You will have to prime the low pressure side, get air free fuel to the high pressure pump first. There is a hand pump on models with mechanical pimps to get fuel that far, this is to keep from using the starter to do this. You can fry a starter doing this.
If you have an electric primary pump you can cycle the key several times to do this.
THEN, you have to bleed the air out of the injector lines by cracking them open the turning over the engine with the starter until fuel comes out. Usually 1 or 2 lines cracked and bled will usually do this, but not always, sometimes it takes all of them. Not easy on a truck, really not easy on a motorhome.

Happy Motoring
Don & Susan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Bingo we have the Answer^^^^^^

X2

Another reason I like my old school Power Strokes.

Turn key, wait until fuel pump lugs down, push in tip of Schrader valve until air stops and fuel comes out, repeat until nothing but fuel comes out. Start engine and drive off.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:18 PM   #21

Diesel , high pressure injection pumps use fuel for lubrication and cooling , running them dry DAMAGES them , leading to early failure $$$$$$$. Maybe even with the FIRST time, they're run out !
Enough said ??
Old 05-31-2017, 06:56 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Diesel , high pressure injection pumps use fuel for lubrication and cooling , running them dry DAMAGES them , leading to early failure $$$$$$$. Maybe even with the FIRST time, they're run out !

Enough said ??

A diesel will stop running from lack of sufficient injection pressure, i.e. cavitation LONG before the pump is dry, IF that could even happen. There will always be lots of fuel in the pump, just not enough to prevent air entrainment.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:12 PM   #23

Freightliner Owners Club
Murf2u
I believe my Cummins manual had a caution that running out of fuel could damage the high pressure pump. My impression was air in lines as fuel was exhausted with engine operating.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:58 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
A diesel will stop running from lack of sufficient injection pressure, i.e. cavitation LONG before the pump is dry, IF that could even happen. There will always be lots of fuel in the pump, just not enough to prevent air entrainment.
Yes the internal rotor sections of the pump will cavitate , and we know what cavitation can do to a boat propeller ; eats away at the surface; and there is a huge difference between a diesel running out of fuel at idle vs, running out at highway speed. I wish I could provide you a list of names of Dodge/Cummins truck owners who had their VP-44 injection pumps fail after running out of fuel just once. I heard the sob stories , cause I was the guy replacing the pumps.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:23 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Yes the internal rotor sections of the pump will cavitate , and we know what cavitation can do to a boat propeller ; eats away at the surface; and there is a huge difference between a diesel running out of fuel at idle vs, running out at highway speed. I wish I could provide you a list of names of Dodge/Cummins truck owners who had their VP-44 injection pumps fail after running out of fuel just once. I heard the sob stories , cause I was the guy replacing the pumps.

If you could get an injection pump to run as long as a boat propellor with no fuel going to it you have a big future in Detroit. A diesel will sputter to a stop in seconds with no fuel coming to it, travel speed is irrelevant.

The VP44 is notorious for issues. The housings on the VP44 wear out due to low fuel pressure from weak lift pumps causing the diaphragm in the front of the VP44 pump to rupture. This causes the steel timing piston to vibrate in the aluminum bore of the housing and the result in a short time is the housing wears to the point that fuel bypasses the piston and full advance cannot be accomplished which causes the code 216.

This has NOTHING to do with running out of fuel. It is however a VERY common source of failure.

Running out of fuel does not mean the pump is running dry, or even close to dry, it only means there's insufficient pressure, because of air entrainment, to open the injectors and cause ignition.

No injection = no ignition, no ignition = no RPM's, no RPM's = no wear.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:56 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As someone who has never owned a diesel engine vehicle, I learnt today that it is a pain to restart one that ran out, wow, didn't know that! In my gas vehicle when I ran out, I just put some gallons, crank it a few seconds and that's it.

Thanks for all the information there, maybe this will help me (or someone else) someday!
Old 06-02-2017, 06:35 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magister54 View Post
As someone who has never owned a diesel engine vehicle, I learnt today that it is a pain to restart one that ran out, wow, didn't know that! In my gas vehicle when I ran out, I just put some gallons, crank it a few seconds and that's it.

Thanks for all the information there, maybe this will help me (or someone else) someday!

ThaTs not quite true, SOME diesels are a PITA to restart, not all.

It's becoming more common to see the idea first developed by the Japanese on North American diesels. There is a Schrader valve (tire stem) near the injection pump. If the diesel is run out of fuel all you have to do is leave the key turned on after refilling the tank and push the valve open until fuel comes out. The pump pushes the fuel up and drives the air out.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:52 PM   #28

I only KNOW old Detroit 6v92 and cummins isl 400 and isx 650.. When you change out the primary filter down the road from a cheap fuel stop you screw in the new filter dry and turn on key do not try to start!! wait with key on 3 min or so, do it three times and IF YOU are lucky it sputters and spits and then runs. Had to change three filters to get crap out of system.

Coach care told me just what to do and it worked but they said you are lucky some times we have to pressure the tank to push fuel to the pump by cracking the fuel line and letting air bleed out.

Rule number one on coach is aqua hot and gen do not work below 1/4 tank do not go there!
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel