Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2008, 06:08 PM   #15

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">quote:
Originally posted by Norton:
I too drive with the fridge on propane and once in a while, I do use the furnace. Generally though, I just turn on the inverter and use the heat pump unless it is really cold and then the furnace kicks in.

You can run your basement AC/heat pump on your inverter???

Is this the stock wiring and inverter???

-Tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I must have been a little spacey when I replied. No I can't run it with the inverter. I meant to say the generator.

Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2008, 06:06 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
All I can say is that if it's cold when we travel, I can turn on HI the Coach Heater switch on my dash and I'll be warmer than I care to be in a little while. Like the Motor Aid HW heater, it works off of the radiator coolant.

Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:57 AM   #17

That's Great.
A lot of us don"t have that option!
Jerry
Old 12-29-2008, 11:03 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ding-a-ling:
All I can say is that if it's cold when we travel, I can turn on HI the Coach Heater switch on my dash and I'll be warmer than I care to be in a little while. Like the Motor Aid HW heater, it works off of the radiator coolant. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Frank, you have a very nice looking motorhome.

-Tom

Ding-a-ling

Tom N

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:33 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:

Frank, you have a very nice looking motorhome.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>Tom,
You, too, have pretty good taste in motorhomes.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 08:28 AM   #20

Send a message via AIM to Ace_Clark
Why would you NOT run your fridge while you are driving. There is either the option to run it on propane or off your generator, which is noisey. However, if you are in the south like me, perhaps running the generator is reasonable as most likely you'd have to run your AC, also.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:35 AM   #21

If you don't have the propane turn on at the tank you then also are not keeping your refrigerator operating. We Travel with medication that needs to be kept cold. The only time we turn off the propane is for some bridges and tunnels but then turn it on after we exit tunnel or get over the bridge.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:54 AM   #22

Problem here guys is this is not safe for 3 reasons. One if you have an auto accident it will increase your chances of a major fire by 50% percent. 2. If your insurance finds outs they will likely not cover you in an accident. And 3 you triple your chances of carbon monoxide poisoning. An RV furnace is only designed to be used when the couch is not moving. It cannot ventilate properly when your barrowing down the interstate at 65 mph. So yes it's very risky. It's better to use your chassis heater which was designed for this purpose, and wait to turn your propane on until you stop for the night. Remember propane is very volatile and extremely dangerous if misused. So this is something to think about.

1979 Dodge Tioga Class C 24 foot. 1987 Fleetwood Bounder 34 Foot.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:42 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
There is a small, portable electric heater made by Caframo, called a True North. It has 3 heat settings to pick from. It's very low profile so it can't tip over, unless you really work at it. The original design was intended for boats and RVs because they are low and flat.

We used one of these for 5 years to heat our camper, then 2 years in our current motorhome, when in storage.

When driving in cold weather we would run it from the MH inverter on one of the lower settings. Placed it about 12 feet back from the drivers compartment and we would be toasty down to well below freezing outside.

Ours finally gave up the ghost back in March when we were headed south to Vegas for a couple drag races. We'll probably buy another here shortly. Just hope the quality is as good as our original unit.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 05:48 PM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Legal types will warn you of the possible liability.. Ok, I've done that, now on to some information.

RV furnaces come in two types.. Older ones you may have to light a pilot, if you are driving this pilot may blow out,,, IF this happens a flame sensor is supposed to release a valve that will shut off the gas flow and render it safe.. Key word "SUPPOSED TO"

Modern ones are DSI (Direct spark ignition) Generally the flame sensor on these works fairly well and if anything is paranoid (Signaling NO FLAME when in fact its burning nicely) these units will do their best to re-light should they blow out.

That said: I would rather not drive with the furnace on, but if you got to, you got to.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:14 PM   #25

Running propane heater while running

Am I the only one who actually read the OP and saw that it was about the REFRIGERATOR not the furnace?

To the OP, the fridge is designed to operate on propane while underway, it's no problem or risk.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:39 PM   #26

Dead wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
Am I the only one who actually read the OP and saw that it was about the REFRIGERATOR not the furnace?

To the OP, the fridge is designed to operate on propane while underway, it's no problem or risk.
Read the OP again please
Old 11-14-2014, 08:42 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentor View Post
Read the OP again please

Sorry, must have been a site hiccup, I got the first post as being;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyjaku View Post
If you don't have the propane turn on at the tank you then also are not keeping your refrigerator operating. We Travel with medication that needs to be kept cold. The only time we turn off the propane is for some bridges and tunnels but then turn it on after we exit tunnel or get over the bridge.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:23 AM   #28

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I read it as furnace also. Anywho, I run mine ,did today it was 17 degrees I also had the rear heater running off the coolant from the 454 (that's almost free heat)
Tim

spritz is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, heater