Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2014, 09:09 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
First: forget the 12 volt jack on the genny, not worth the time it takes to hook it up.
IF your converter is a plug in model.. I would plug JUST IT into the Honda and use an inverter to run Televisions and such.
wa8yxm

Or just connect the shorepower cord to the small generator and use common sense energy management in the RV.
Also, if there is not a good charger built into the RV, get one and use it whenever the batteries need charging.
Mel

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2014, 09:16 AM   #44

I would save the 1000 generator for emergency and set 200 watt solar for about $500 like I did.
Never used our 1600 watt generator for the past 6 months and batteries charged by noon in worm weather for 2 batteries and by 2pm for 3 on cold weather using the furnace.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:30 PM   #45

I see the same 2 words, three times over. "can do".

Problem is, according to Thor, the Palazzo series motorhomes only have 100 amp inverter / chargers as OEM equipment.

So as I said, I was talking about the OP's question about what their (presumably stock) unit is equipped with, not what some "can do" with the right 'we can build that' wish list equipment.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:23 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
I see the same 2 words, three times over. "can do". Problem is, according to Thor, the Palazzo series motorhomes only have 100 amp inverter / chargers as OEM equipment. So as I said, I was talking about the OP's question about what their (presumably stock) unit is equipped with, not what some "can do" with the right 'we can build that' wish list equipment.
I repeat my prior post because it is still very relevant

Yes, but the little honda he mentioned is only rated to 7.5 amps (900 watts ) continuous. - so it's not even the
Equivalent of plugging into 15amp shore power - actually only HALF that amount !

Will the converter/charger be able to function at full output at this power input ? No ! In fact the PCS on board the Palazzo will cut the charging amps WAY back. The owners manual was not specific on actual numbers.

As an example- most Onan "quiet" series generators have inverter technology, and therefor only run the
engine at the required RPM for the load. This would power the charger at full power, possibly pumping
100 amps into the battery bank - vs. the much smaller charge if only running the charger on the
tiny Honda portable.

We need to get the OP to try plugging his shore power cord into the Honda EU1000i and then tell us what his charging rate is vs using the Onan generator. My prediction based upon extrapolation from available facts is that the Onan WILL charge the batteries faster and use the same (or less) fuel as the Honda.

We have probably beat this dead horse long enough.....if we can get more data we can revisit it at some future date.

If I'm wrong, I'll buy you a beer when/if I see you.

Happy Trails!
Old 01-27-2014, 07:32 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
We have probably beat this dead horse long enough.....if we can get more data we can revisit it at some future date.

If I'm wrong, I'll buy you a beer when/if I see you.

Happy Trails!

Ditto!!!!!!!

Cheers.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:43 PM   #48

My house genny burns propane. We do a lot of dry camping . A combination of solar and a eu2000 allows us to park in shade and keep batteries charged on the cheap. And our neighbors don't hate us. We run every thing but the AC. We don't move until we want to. We now only run the onboard genset for Ac when driving. Our solar is portable and stays in the sunlight. While we've got it made in the shade.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:42 PM   #49

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Getting a headache from all the number crunching

Wow, this thread got a lot of number crunching going on. I look at a bit simpler:

My converter/charger has a high/low switch. My Honda 2000 will run it on either setting, but if we have a lot of other loads on it will get to near it's limit so I just flip it to low.

When we dry camp and I need a bit of power I run the Honda. It's so quiet and so easy on fuel that I don't mind running it 6 or 8 hours (or even all day or night long) and while it's running it is powering my fridge with 120V instead of LP, if it's cold it's powering the two LP heaters via the converter as well as the TV, cell phone chargers etc. instead of running my house inverter so I'm getting 12 volt via the converter, charging and 120 volts.

My Onan 7000 Marque (sp?) is gas and doesn't have a fuel saving mode so it runs at full speed all the time. Gas use does vary with the load, but the noise level doesn't. It's pretty quiet, but no where near the Honda.

Each has it's place and I like having both options.
deputydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:46 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger G View Post
I have used a EU2000 for years like you are wanting to do. I plugged the Honda into the shore power cord on my old coach but when I traded it would not trigger the transfer switch on the new one. The transfer switch was sensing an open ground as it will on inverter generators. There is an easy cheap solution to trick your switch into not sensing an open ground. Buy a simple male replacement plug that you would use to repair a cord. Remove the cover and put a short jumper wire from the neutral to the ground post in the plug. Put the cover back on and plug it into one outlet on the generator and your power cord into the other outlet. It presents a closed ground to the transfer switch allowing it to switch to generator power. Works and doesn't harm anything.
Not crazy about bonding neutral and ground at the small generator, for a lot of reasons, but understand the issue. A 100K resistor, 1/4 watt neutral to ground should solve the sensing problem in perhaps a safer manner. Works for me. I use our EU2000 for everything except AC and oven. I don't like the noise of the big Onan.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:33 PM   #51

We're currently in Key West at the NASKW campground. Probably around 450 rigs of all descriptions. With such a high demand for Dec-March, they have 90 fhu sites with everyone else in dry camp. Rotational basis with 14 days on hook up then move to dry camp while someone else gets their turn on fhu. A small number of mh use their on board gen set. Well over 90% use a Honda EU-2000. A few trailers without on board gens use two EU-2000 so they can run their AC. Noise levels are strictly enforced and the Hondas are really quiet. Our Honda is running right now as it does for about 16 hrs a day.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:31 PM   #52

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
Not crazy about bonding neutral and ground at the small generator, for a lot of reasons, but understand the issue. A 100K resistor, 1/4 watt neutral to ground should solve the sensing problem in perhaps a safer manner.
I don't think it's an issue when used to power an RV through a shore power cord. As far as the RV it's seeing the same thing as when plugged into a pedestal (one point bonding of neutral and ground at power source). I wasn't too comfortable with this initially, as I wondered if there was some special wiring inherent to the inverters that required this. After reading an article at this link Generator Ground-Neutral Bonding | No~Shock~Zone I changed my mind and after that I went to youtube and watched several folks run their 2000is with a neutral/ground bond plug (just to be sure it didn't blow up the generator circuits) I made one and it works great. I only use it when powering the RV, otherwise I leave it like the mfg. built it. I think that is best for portable tools cords etc.

Headed to Daytona 500 for 7 days - the Honda will get a workout!
deputydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:26 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
Not crazy about bonding neutral and ground at the small generator, for a lot of reasons, but understand the issue. A 100K resistor, 1/4 watt neutral to ground should solve the sensing problem in perhaps a safer manner. Works for me. I use our EU2000 for everything except AC and oven. I don't like the noise of the big Onan.
I'm curious what the reasons are?
You have a generator in a plastic case totally isolated from anything. Even so, I installed an isolated ground outlet in the Honda and bonded neutral and ground together. Now it appears exactly as any other external power source.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:00 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
I'm curious what the reasons are?
You have a generator in a plastic case totally isolated from anything. Even so, I installed an isolated ground outlet in the Honda and bonded neutral and ground together. Now it appears exactly as any other external power source.

So what I am trying to accomplish is just to fool the EMS system into thinking there is a ground when I am running the isolated Honda. Otherwise I get error messages on the display. The generator is not like the utility company's electrical grid, which is grounded at the source, which is both the neutral and ground connection at the power source bonded together.
Of course the neutral in your RV should not be grounded.
The generator is considered an isolated (or floating) power source. The only way you would get a shock from the power produced by the generator is if you get between the hot leg and the neutral.
If the neutral is grounded in your motorhome there is a risk (very small) that you could get shocked if you get between the hot side and the skin of the motorhome. I realize that if you are plugged into a pedestal, the same risk is there, but as I stated earlier, I use the resistor to keep it as designed, isolated, but able to utilize the EMS in the motorhome.
Iím sure there are other opinions, but this works for me.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:05 PM   #55

My power monitor system (progressive) has a by-pass switch which allows me to run direct from the EU2000 without any change to the generator. Still have surge protection but not grounding/ neutral issues.

And did I mention that they're quiet?
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:41 PM   #56

My 40240 surge guard has the same bypass switch, but the lawyers made them change it so you absolutely cannot bypass an open ground. Now it changes the low voltage drop out

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator