RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2019, 07:06 PM   #1

RV Awning Gimp coming out

The gimp in my Regular awning and the one for my master bedroom keep coming out. Was able to get the regular awning back in and glued it in this time since this has happened several times now. But in the past the dealer always fixed it. Now that I'm relocated 1500 miles south that's not an option. I cannot get the bedroom awning gimp to slide back in. In fact I can't even force it after loosen the tension somewhat on the awning. Click image for larger version

Name:	20191002_182345.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	398.1 KB
ID:	262595

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191002_182626.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	262596

dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2019, 08:05 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I think you will have to remove the fabric from the roller, insert the plastic rod in the fabric, then put it back on the roller!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 10:28 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I've had that experience but have no idea what causes it. You can't re-insert the rubber while the fabric is in the slot, even with tension removed. You will have to slip the fabric from the slot, insert the tubing into the pocket of the fabric, and then work the assembly back into the slot again.

If this repeats too often, put a screw into the slot once the fabric is in place. The slot of the RV sidewall typically already has a screw, but the roller tube may not.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 02:56 PM   #4

Mine was slowly working its way out when I bought the coach. It was about 6" out at that time. I used the only tool that I had at the time and cut off all but about 2" of it, and it continued to come out more as I used the awning. I then cut it off one more time, right to the quick, and that stopped it. It's been a couple of years now and no more issues. All together I think I lost about 12" of gimp but can't see where it's missing as there's no part of the awning fabric letting go of the roller, so I'm leaving well-enough alone.
Old 10-08-2019, 09:11 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Once it's back in place, you can crimp the ends of the aluminum channel slightly to keep it from moving!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:00 PM   #6

Well,
First off, I've been Rving for oh, maybe 36-37 years and have owned (4) RV's. All of them have had awnings of various sizes and types. IN all those years, I have NEVER, EVER, heard that rod, that is inserted into the awnings looped end, called GIMP!! I have never learned WHAT to call it, but I've never heard it called a gimp.

Anyway, just for info, here's a thought. I don't know what your "gimp" is made of but, mine, in one of my slide toppers and, one of my awnings, is PLASTIC. It is not made of rubber. It is approximately 3/16" in diameter or so. On a recent trip, I was hearing something while I was driving. It sounded like I had a cable on the roof that was slapping around. Long story short, it was my "gimp", from my slide topper, above the galley slide. It had managed to work its way out, by about 3'. NOT GOOD!

Well, since it was/is plastic, all I had to do was relieve tension on that slide topper tube and, begin to work that plastic back in. I countered the tension and using vice grips, clamped the fabric in place so I could use both hands to work that plastic "gimp" back into the tube and fabric. I had to occasionally go to the opposite end of the fabric that did not have any "gimp" in it and, using a radiator hose removal tool, (very similar to a cotter pin removal tool, like a bent ice pic) and, tuck that loose fabric loop back into it's capture. Then, go work the plastic "gimp" some more. Then, go back and work the loose fabric. Then go and work the gimp more.

It took me about 10-15 minutes to work that plastic "gimp" back into the fabric loop, EVEN WHILE IT WAS STILL IN THE TRACK.

So, my point, yes, it (your gimp) can be re-inserted back into the fabric, with it in the track, IF it's the right material. Anything less than a hard, plastic rod, will more than likely give you fits, if you try and push, that much resistance back into a fabric tube, from quite a distance away. But, plastic, for the most part, can be pushed the whole length of the coach. I know, I did it.

If the OP's "gimp" is say, rubber or, some sort of variation of rubber, it's gonna give him guff when it comes time to TRY and force it back in. But, If he were simply, remove the tension of the roller tube, so the offending "gimp" could be completely removed WITHOUT disturbing the fabric, then, a replacement PLASTIC gimp could be re-inserted and, WITHOUT the need to remove the fabric from it's enclosure.

Something like this, could possibly do the trick for the OP. If it's the wrong diameter, simply find the right one. Good luck.
Scott

https://www.amazon.com/Density-Polye...597150&sr=8-31

And finally, once the "gimp" is in its place, a small screw can be inserted into the track, to keep that gimp from easing its way back out. That's what was missing on mine, the screw was gone. So, I inserted a like-sized screw and, all is well.
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 04:41 PM   #7

RV Awning Gimp

Thanks everyone for the inputs... To "fire up" not sure where u reside but I've been RV'g for over 40 yrs. and gimp has been the norm for this solid rubber or perhaps now it's made of pliable 3/16" plastic tubing for these many years up here in NE ... even my RV dealer refers to it as "gimp" especially since almost every time I had it back in the shop since bought this MH new in 2018 the "gimp" was also coming out. But did appreciate your input on the "gimp" though mine is not a solid rod slapping against the side but rather a loose solid rubber tube waving in the wind. though after reading all the inputs what might be the reason it's not sliding in, is the material has pulled out enough to prevent it from sliding back into place. My Buddy in Alabama mentioned I might need to unwind it all the way. Which will have to wait as I'm still not fully recovered from my FF career ending OTJ injury a short time ago which is why I now reside in sunny Florida. It sounds like I'll need two good legs to pull this off so I'll delay it for a few more months. I do got one more question Fire Up... how do u fully unload the tension and lock it in place (a) reel it all the way out then use channel locks or (b) disconnect the entire system from the slide? The second option has me a little apprehensive, though I'm very handy, I feel this might be difficult to get it back on with the correct tension. I've fixed a lot of issues on my RVs and others over the years. This is one I've been lucky with till now.. Thanks all
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:42 PM   #8

Well Dana, (I'm assuming I'm addressing Dana),
Again, I've just never heard it called a Gimp. No biggie. Second, in all the RV's we've had, I've only had to deal with the gimp, on this present one, an '04 Itasca Horizon, 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP. Now, we need to be on the same page in order for any instructions or, advice I might have for you, to be of any value. By I mean, on our recent trip, it was my slide topper for the galley slide that had the gimp issue, not any awning. Not that it might make that much difference.

Both the awning and the slide topper fabrics are held in the groove by a gimp. By the way, to "authenticate" your term "gimp", here's something I just happened to look up:

Ron, many awning roller tubes (depending on brand and vintage), have two or three individual slots; one for the canopy, another one for the valance and possibly a third slot in order to incorporate a screen room panel. If your roller tube only has a single slot, it will not be possible to include the valance, I'm afraid. That said, I have seen replacement canopies with a "built-in" valance. A single piece of the plastic gimp was sewn into a seam between the main canopy and the valance. This allows the single gimp to utilize a single slot roller tube. You may have to order a replacement directly from the manufacturer or one of their dealers rather than utilizing an aftermarket replacement.

Now, one thing. Is your gimp, self-traveling out of the tube that has all the fabric on it or, is it traveling out of the track that is attached to the coach? You see, mine was coming out of the track on the coach. Now, what that means is, if I extended the slide out, even part way, say, about 10-12", that would provide me with enough room and space, to work on that gimp re-installation. Now, as for relieving tension on that system, here's what I did.

The slide topper spans just above the actual ceiling of the slide, correct? Well, on mine, that slide topper fabric is actually concealed inside a gold, anodized aluminum cover. But, as the slide extends, it unwinds inside that cover due to it being attached to the coach. Well, If I wanted to relieve tension, all I had to do was get my fingers onto that fabric roll and, roll it backwards, to create slack in the fabric. Then, use some vice grips and maybe some form of protective pieces of material on the fabric so the vice grips didn't damage it, and clamp that fabric just outside the roll, so the roll cannot wind itself back in and tighten up.

Once the fabric was clamped off, the slack remained and, I could now focus on the gimp and, re-inserting it back into the track. As stated on the other end where the gimp was not present in the fabric loop, the loop started coming out of the track. That is where I had to use my radiator hose removal tool to stuff/tuck that fabric loop back into the track. Once that fabric was tucked back into the track, I went back to the gimp, and started trying to force it back into that end of the fabric. It would go in a few inches and stop.

Well, I looked over at where I'd tucked in the fabric, and, it was coming back out again. I then went back there and re-tucked it back in. Then, I'd go back to the gimp and force a few more inches back in. I did that procedure quite a few times and, eventually got the gimp all the way back in. Then, I'd go and release the vice grips which, would allow the spring pressure in the fabric roll, to tighten the fabric up. Done.

I don't know if anything I've explained here, will help you with your issue. It's a recent problem I had and, it sounded very close to yours.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:52 AM   #9

My guess to the gimp (never herd this term either) coming out is that the wind getting in under the awning while you drive is exercising the awning where it attaches to the roller and it works the gimp out.
The anti billowing arm may be able to be adjusted some to lesson the amount of air that gets under the awning.

Tags
awning