Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2010, 12:12 PM   #1

RV awnings

Looking for new awning. Looks like Carefree and A & E Dometic are the big manufactures of RV awning. Which is better and which company have the better deals.

2000 Triple E Empress on a Freightliner with 330 cat
New RV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2010, 04:50 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi New RV Guy,
Unfortunately, awnings are a commodity technology and product. The only real different between the brands is how they look. Choose the awning that has the look you want. The only other choice is a power or manual awning. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. As to the best price, GOOGLE "RV Awnings" you'll have many choices. Also, consider waiting for a sale at Camping World or RV Upgrades.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:17 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I thing GaryKD has pretty much covered it. Shop around online for the best price on the type of unit you want.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:22 PM   #4

As mentioned above, your choice other than brand is manual vs. automatic. If you don't mind rolling up and down your awning by hand, stick to manual, as the automatic ones are expensive and require a fair amount of repairs.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:36 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Don't forget to look at two other brands that never get mentioned. One is called Zip Dee and the other is called Girard. The Zip Dee awnings were used on higher end coaches years before the high end coaches started using Girard for their custom awnings.

Here are the web sites.

Awnings By ZipDee

RV Awnings | Patio Awnings | Retractable Awnings - Girard RV Awnings

If my coach hadn't already come with everything Carefree, I would be having one of them make awnings for my coach. The Carefree awnings are nothing as their name implies. Lots of maintenance and repairs.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:02 PM   #6

Well Thanks to all for your input.
I have considered Girard but they are about $6000.00 installed which is a little high for my 10 year old coach. I am planning a A&E or a Carefree. I thought that maybe Carefree made a little better awning but maybe there is not alot of difference so I will probably will just get whichever is available in my area at the best price.

2000 Triple E Empress
New RV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:22 AM   #7

If memory serve me, there is another choice to make...vinyl or fabric. The cleaning and amintenance requirements are different.