Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2019, 07:57 PM   #1

Thumbs up RV Breakdowns - What to do?

My Winnebago Adventurer has been a good unit so far, but has left me standing by the side of the road twice. I have Good Sam coverage, which worked for the first breakdown 5 years ago, but failed me badly last month. My rig limped to a stop on the super busy section of I-81 under reconstruction between Wilkes-Barre and Scranton, PA around rush hour. A quick call to Good Sam Emergency Assistance was followed by many call backs for the next 5 hours, while the operator tried to find a repair facility to take my rig to for diagnosis and repair. As dark approached and still no tow truck, I unhooked the PT cruiser toad and loaded up the wife and two big dogs, overnight bags and valuables and found a motel. I then found out that the operator had simply given up trying to find a place to take the rig within 50 miles or so, and left work without a handoff. I finally got a new operator to have me towed to the nearest Walmart just to get it off the interstate. Around 9 pm I met the tow truck roadside, and he towed it 4 miles to the nearest Walmart in Scranton. Yeah, Walmart!! No further help came from Good Sam RA.

I spent all the next day calling every GM repair center, Camping World, RV center etc within a 100 mile area - same answers: we don't work on RV's, we don't work on Workhorses, we could but are backed up 3-4 weeks with work, and no, you can't leave it here for diagnosis, and we don't have anyone to send out. Finally one service manager took pity and knew of an independent guy that worked on RV's. Preitz Automotive in Taylor, PA was literally around the corner, and sent out a truck right away. 15 minutes after arriving the problem was solved - the Mass Air sensor hose had slipped off and after reconnecting it, all was ok. Great work, Jason and Paul! So if your RV ever fails in the no-man's land of NE PA, call Preitz Automotive 570-562-2322 for an expert diagnosis!!

My lessons learned: always pull a toad, and hope for lots of luck if you breakdown in an RV! Except for the tow, Good Sam Roadside Assist was worthless in finding road service help for me. Any other ideas on how to find service in remote places? Perhaps calling RV parks for a local RV serviceman? Or is there a nationwide directory of service centers willing to respond to a breakdown emergency?
Smilin Jack
Smilin Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2019, 08:07 PM   #2

You have lived my nightmare. Your post raises a good question... With all the members here and with their collective geographic locations an encyclopedia of decent repair facilities/mobile mechanics could be made.

I don't have a toad so if I was in your situation I would have been hard pressed. You stayed calm and carried through. Somethings bound to happen I suppose, might as well expect it and keep a cool head.
MinntoMich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:12 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
This is why I proposed this group consider a roadside assistance database. By having members contribute successful contacts we all have a potentially huge timesaver available to us.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:19 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Over the last 20 years, I've been left hanging by both Good Sam and AAA roadside service.

Problems have always been that they either can't find a tow service or refuse to pay what a local tow service wants to charge.

A year ago I broke down in Beaver Dam, KY mid-afternoon. After waiting for AAA to try to get me a tow for 4 hours, they gave up and told me to find my own tow and submit the bill. After many calls I found a tow for a 2 hour drag to Evansville, IN which was the nearest Freightliner service center. Finally got dropped off around midnight.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTom View Post
This is why I proposed this group consider a roadside assistance database. By having members contribute successful contacts we all have a potentially huge timesaver available to us.
The Honda Goldwing club publishes (or did) chapter members and contact info should any Goldwing owner need assistance.

Not suggesting IRV2 publish member info. But members best suggestions for help in their area might be handy.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:31 PM   #6

two immediate thoughts..

- google "rv road service near me"
- rvservicereviews.com

glad you and the coach are alright. did you ream out GSRA??
Old 07-08-2019, 08:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
two immediate thoughts..

- google "rv road service near me"
- rvservicereviews.com

glad you and the coach are alright. did you ream out GSRA??
If its from members then it carries good faith and "word of mouth" value. Google does not have this and many times results are very much in need of updating. As the OP stated it best...

"So if your RV ever fails in the no-man's land of NE PA, call Preitz Automotive 570-562-2322 for an expert diagnosis!!"
Old 07-08-2019, 08:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinntoMich View Post
If its from members then it carries good faith and "word of mouth" value. Google does not have this and many times results are very much in need of updating. As the OP stated it best...

"So if your RV ever fails in the no-man's land of NE PA, call Preitz Automotive 570-562-2322 for an expert diagnosis!!"
if you're not where the op was then preitz can't help. if the road service can't/won't help googling could be helpful. making a stink with GS might just keep someone else from experiencing the same thing.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:04 PM   #9

A last resort is taking the GS ERS provider to court for contract violation, if it can be proven.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:13 PM   #10

We had a break down on our way to Yellowstone. Our then RV (Dynamax M2 Chassis) started having a strange air pressure reading so I stopped to diagnose. After a short time I decided to call a local semi repair hotline and they forwarded to a very helpful after hours repair shop. After an hour or so testing brake pressure and sending him pictures from my phone he determined it was safe to drive to his shop in Bozeman for an after hours repair. Ultimately the problem was caused by a leaking air line from the air compressor generator. $300 later (including a generous tip) we were on our way.
We have found semi-truck repair shops much better than RV repair shops for chassis problems.
bhammond1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:03 PM   #11

https://coach-net.com/247-protect-2/
Only $90 a year for coach only. Well worth it.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinntoMich View Post
The Honda Goldwing club publishes (or did) chapter members and contact info should any Goldwing owner need assistance.

Not suggesting IRV2 publish member info. But members best suggestions for help in their area might be handy.

I am a member of GWRRA, and this service has served me WELL a few times. Especially their Rescue Plus road side assistance program. The plan I have with Rescue Plus covers ALL my personal vehicles and trailers AND the RV.
Flyer 516NG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 05:14 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
There are only a few roadside help companies and GS only contracts with one of them .. Allstate if memory serves me. I’ve always said they are no better than the actual service providers and tow companies where you break down . None of them own a service truck and all pay a paltry discounted price , which makes several service companies refuse to do business with them.
Better than nothing I guess , if you break down in the right place.
Don’t know about a Gas coach but a diesel you should always look for a semi repair shop or mobile on road unit near you. Truckers break down every day and get on road service ... google can do this. Sometimes better than somebody in a office a thousand miles away doing the same search but with the “will you take our discounted pay price and long time to actually pay “ question ! They have the list your looking for it’s what they’re working off of ... they just make you pay for it every year.
The problem is not all will or want work on a MH
Old 07-09-2019, 05:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
A last resort is taking the GS ERS provider to court for contract violation, if it can be proven.

Yep, and IF you prevail, six months to a year down the road, after spending a minimum of $5,000.00 in attorney's fees, you MIGHT get a refund of your annual Roadside Assistance Service Plan fee . . . what, maybe $150.00?
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote